Triumph 675 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can this be implemented before some thieving prick mf'r can send you messages about parts you asked for in the WTB section? Every time I make a post there some piece of $#!T sends me a message about their friend that I should email to get the part. Or is there some other way to keep the Nigerian princes off this site?

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Good day Admin,

So I would like to say that decision to raise the post count to send a message to another member basically just ruined this forum for me personally.
I really don't ever post much, so it'll take me years to reach 10 & 25 posts respectively, I don't want to make B.S. posts just raise my count so I can buy something.
I have 1 post but I have bought Daytona cams (schaus36) and street triple brakes (beatle) from members here, please feel free to check my messages to verify. I know that Rene (renboy) is frustrated with Nigerian prince scams and all, but is there not a better way to verify someone for use of the classifieds?

Thanks for your time
Dallas
Markham, ON Canada (not Nigeria, check my ip)

P.S.

I couldn't even send this as a message to Admin, as I don't qualify to send messages anymore. Not necessarily the best way to keep newer members on board and the forum active, just my 2c.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Another option is to add a minimum join time for members as well. So you either have 10 posts, or are a member for say a month.

Dallas, I completely understand where you're coming from, but, if you've ever posted in the WTB section here, the number of asshats that respond is astounding. That also ruins the forum/community. If you're new to this forum and you gdt screwed in your first (or any) transaction it'll leave a bad taste in your mouth.

I'm not sure how the minimum post count works as far as responding to PM's. I understand you can't initiate a conversation, but, can you respond to someone that has initiated with you? The reason I ask is that if you want to buy/sell something from someone, you don't randomly PM members in the hopes that they have/want whatever you're looking for, you see what they're selling and respond in their listing and vice versa. Then if they PM you, I assume you're able to respond.

·
Administrator
1,083 Posts
Good day Admin,

So I would like to say that decision to raise the post count to send a message to another member basically just ruined this forum for me personally.
I really don't ever post much, so it'll take me years to reach 10 & 25 posts respectively, I don't want to make B.S. posts just raise my count so I can buy something.
I have 1 post but I have bought Daytona cams (schaus36) and street triple brakes (beatle) from members here, please feel free to check my messages to verify. I know that Rene (renboy) is frustrated with Nigerian prince scams and all, but is there not a better way to verify someone for use of the classifieds?

Thanks for your time
Dallas
Markham, ON Canada (not Nigeria, check my ip)

P.S.

I couldn't even send this as a message to Admin, as I don't qualify to send messages anymore. Not necessarily the best way to keep newer members on board and the forum active, just my 2c.
You would only need 6 more posts, not necessarily a tall order. I do get what you're saying, however. Its always a balance between not interrupting member usage and keeping our members safe from spam and scammers (an increasingly difficult task, as these bots and the like evolve week after week). One thing I could do is revert the changes I made (meaning the process) and set this up via user groups rather than a global rule. I could then manually move members to the new group so that their forum experience isn't changed in any way.

I may have jumped the gun on making this change. Should have waited for more feedback first.

Another option is to add a minimum join time for members as well. So you either have 10 posts, or are a member for say a month.

Dallas, I completely understand where you're coming from, but, if you've ever posted in the WTB section here, the number of asshats that respond is astounding. That also ruins the forum/community. If you're new to this forum and you gdt screwed in your first (or any) transaction it'll leave a bad taste in your mouth.

I'm not sure how the minimum post count works as far as responding to PM's. I understand you can't initiate a conversation, but, can you respond to someone that has initiated with you? The reason I ask is that if you want to buy/sell something from someone, you don't randomly PM members in the hopes that they have/want whatever you're looking for, you see what they're selling and respond in their listing and vice versa. Then if they PM you, I assume you're able to respond.
Currently, members with less than 10 posts can't send a PM, but they can receive without issue. So with that in mind, you can always post in a thread simply saying "please send me a PM" or something similar.

If the community overwhelming wants me to change the rule or alter it, I have no problem doing so.

-Mike

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
<snip>...

I may have jumped the gun on making this change. Should have waited for more feedback first.

Currently, members with less than 10 posts can't send a PM, but they can receive without issue. So with that in mind, you can always post in a thread simply saying "please send me a PM" or something similar.

If the community overwhelming wants me to change the rule or alter it, I have no problem doing so.

-Mike
No, I don't believe you jumped the gun. I have put up one WTB nearly a year ago and still occ get a spam/bot reply saying they have the goods. And it's obviously a scam-bot.

I support this change, it should remain.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts