Triumph 675 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright I'm wondering if tech spec makes a small tank grip pad for the little triangle shaped area that is below where the normal pad sits. Just look at your tank and you'll see what I'm talking about.
The problem is that I've got short legs and during normal riding my knees DO NOT touch the grip pad unless I'm practically standing on my tippy toes. I'm sure that some people have experienced the same problem so I'm looking for some input here.:noclue:

Oh and I've got adjustable rearsets that are positioned as high as they can go, so don't give me that crap.:laugh:

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Are you sure you can't touch them in the stock position? I'm short too (5-5 with short legs) and while my knees don't touch part of my inner thigh does.

·
Registered
256 Posts
how tall are you? i have almost the opposite problem, i'm 6'1" but my legs are long, prob the equivalent of someone 6'4" and my knees are all the way at the front of the tank during straight-line riding!

·
Registered
8,110 Posts
If you are having issues touching them, you want the full-size version, as it covers more of the tank side to touch. I have the "Dave Moss" cut, and at 5'9" tall I don't feel them much. I'll be getting the full-size model this spring.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Alright I'm wondering if tech spec makes a small tank grip pad for the little triangle shaped area that is below where the normal pad sits. Just look at your tank and you'll see what I'm talking about.
The problem is that I've got short legs and during normal riding my knees DO NOT touch the grip pad unless I'm practically standing on my tippy toes. I'm sure that some people have experienced the same problem so I'm looking for some input here.:noclue:

Oh and I've got adjustable rearsets that are positioned as high as they can go, so don't give me that crap.:laugh:
Wow...how exactly short are you? I'm 5'4 without adjustable rearsets. Anyways - yes the Daytona isnt designed to fit us vertically challenged folk. Funny thing is - I had left overs of my tech specs and cut small triangles to fit EXACTLY the space you're mentioning haha. They look silly IMO but they MAY help. Not sure if I still have them... But if I do, if you want, I'll take a pic tomorrow. If you like the size and look of them, I'll be happy to send them to you free of charge :)

Okay - speaking to your problem. To reach atleast the Dave Moss cut, you'll need to be on your tip toes. If you ride only street - I just start getting used to being on my tip toes or getting SOME feel outta the grips when you're hard breaking etc. On the track - in full lean, you're knee should be get able to get a hold of them - which is when they've come in handy.

However, my personal opinion...Tech Specs > Stomp Grips for looks - goes on my street bike. I've briefly used Stomp Grips, they are WAY grippier - to the point of pain :) Which I like - cause it's THAT much more reassuring. I plan on using them for my track bike. They are larger than the Dave Moss Tech Specs and go lower, so that may help too? Not sure what cut ur currently using. Hope this helps

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Yeah, i'd be interested to see a picture of the ones you cut for the small little space. When I'm doing my weekend mountain riding it's not a problem because I'm over one side of the bike with my knee locked on the other side. The problem is normal street riding, I'd like to be able to easily and comfortably grip both pads so I can take weight off my wrists/upper body. That little bottom section of the tank is generally where legs tend to be touching.
This is my normal commuting riding position knees or legs aren't really touching much of the grip, but this is the most comfortable for me.

This is position the I have to get in for knee/legs to actually grip the tech specs. Balls of feet on the pegs, feet at 90 degree angle, great for aggressive riding, TERRIBLE for commuting.

Sorry for the super shitty cell phone picks, but now you have some idea what I'm rambling about.

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
I agree I have them and they don't come low enough. I would be tempted to take these off and make my own. I am sure If I designed a templet I could just take it over to them. They place is about 7 miles from my parents house in Folsom, CA

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
I've got the normal size for my street bike and the dave moss ones for my track bike... I hands down like the smaller ones better. They look better, and actually are more grippy for some reason.. ( i think i got a bad batch on my normal ones because they are slick as shit for being snakeskins...kinda pissed about that but whatever) I'm 6'2" so my knees as stated above come to to top edge of the tank... my thighs though however are fine with either, will be switching to the smallers ones for the street bike just because they are more appealing to me..lol

-Nigel

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
Mine feel really slick too

I've got the normal size for my street bike and the dave moss ones for my track bike... I hands down like the smaller ones better. They look better, and actually are more grippy for some reason.. ( i think i got a bad batch on my normal ones because they are slick as shit for being snakeskins...kinda pissed about that but whatever) I'm 6'2" so my knees as stated above come to to top edge of the tank... my thighs though however are fine with either, will be switching to the smallers ones for the street bike just because they are more appealing to me..lol

-Nigel

·
Registered
313 Posts
I know what you mean. I threw the Dave Moss pads on mostly for in town breaking and what not. I'm 5'10" and my knees are pretty much half on the edge of them when they're centered on the tank. When hanging off, they're perfect, but not everyone does that kind of riding.

A triangle down lower would the ticket for casually riding around town. Logans08Daytona675 has the right idea contacting TechSpec.

My biggest complaint is how the Street Triple's seat wraps so deeply into, and around the thank. A bit of an overzealoused and unnecessary design there.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Mine feel really slick too
It seems that mine got slicker as they racked up miles on them. I think thats just how they run, still better than the bare tank. But ill be using the stomp grips for track.

Corey - that's exactly how my legs fit on the bike and how I have to tippy toe ahha. No fun, especially when your in brand new full length boots. But eh, Ive adapted to everything else so I just make it work. Sorry about the delay in getting those pics to you- im out of the state atm, but iwll try to remember when i get back.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
But ill be using the stomp grips for track.
I like the way TechSpec looks but I'm also going to go back to stomp for the track bike. TechSpec just does not grip as well as Stomp does, at least in my experience.

·
Super Moderator
2,115 Posts
2 problems I've found with Stompgrip.

1) It's hit or miss on the glue. I was a miss, mine came off in 2 weeks.
2) It will tear your leathers up inside your knee.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
2 problems I've found with Stompgrip.

1) It's hit or miss on the glue. I was a miss, mine came off in 2 weeks.
2) It will tear your leathers up inside your knee.
Agreeded 100% on the glue.. mine started peeling after a while.
Yes they do destroy your leathers, I have however found that the snake skins do the same thing... my Oracle suit from the GB has seen nothing but snakeskins and is showing wear at the knees just like my other pants did from the stompgrips... not as bad but definitely wearing the shit out of it..lol

-Nigel

·
Registered
5,462 Posts
Different problems for different sized folks, eh?

I'm 6 foot 3 and ride mostly track with Tech Specs. Those 'little triangles' don't have so much as a scratch on them ... but well forward on the sides of the tank, right towards the front, mine is covered in micro scratches.

Think I may need a special 'full length' kit ...

O.B

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
I haven't had any issues of late with Stomp coming off. I did the first time I put it on some time ago. I think the biggest issues were that the tank was not perfectly clean and I did not warm up the metal and the Stomp itself before and during the installation.
I'm installed it on 2 other bikes since that without any real issues.
I've never had it eat through my leathers but it does seem to like to remove the finish off the leather faster than TechSpec does.

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
Well I'm 5'8 so they don't do a whole lot for me. I am going to contact Tec Spec and have my dad run over their and pick some up for me. I will call them this week and ask about maybe doing a group buy or something of the sort.

ALSO TO NIGEL----- Can you please remove your Avatar vids they seem to really hang up the site anytime your posting my internet seems to really crap out. Anyone else having this issue

1 - 20 of 26 Posts