Triumph 675 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
I run BT023s on my Street Triple and they are great, although everyone seems to say the Michelin dual compound tyres are slightly better. I might be putting some of these on my bike next, even if they do look ugly (I never thought I'd be categorising tyres as pretty and ugly...)

I'll wait for the reviews though since I've got another month at least to wait until I can bring the bike out of hibernation.

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I run BT023s on my Street Triple and they are great, although everyone seems to say the Michelin dual compound tyres are slightly better. I might be putting some of these on my bike next, even if they do look ugly (I never thought I'd be categorising tyres as pretty and ugly...)

I'll wait for the reviews though since I've got another month at least to wait until I can bring the bike out of hibernation.
How many miles on them? I've been amazed at the mileage difference between the Stock Qualifier (4k on the rear and still running the front 12k) and the dual compound Dunlops (8k so far with probably 2-4 left in it at least)

·
Registered
70 Posts
I'm going to have to look into these when it's time to get new tires. Probably pretty soon. There are no turns here and I'm tired of having a worn down centers, completely flat, and almost perfect sides on my tires.

John

·
Registered
78 Posts
I've got about 3500 miles on the Bridgestones and they are near to 1/2 way through (just a bit over, say 5/8s of the original tread left). I got just under 3k from the OEM Dunlops and also a fresh Qualifier (rear, front lasted approx 6k with a bit more to spare, maybe another 500 miles).

The Dunlops felt great on dry roads but as soon as it got a bit damp, they highlighted my poor throttle control. Now either I've honed my skills (unlikely within 4 months :laugh:) or the Bridgestone's just hold the bike down better. First 50 miles was a little weird though!

With my history with Dunlop tyres on the Street Triple, I doubt I'll go back to them. Unfair maybe, but I've never said I was a reasonable person :icon_biggrin:

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm going to have to look into these when it's time to get new tires. Probably pretty soon. There are no turns here and I'm tired of having a worn down centers, completely flat, and almost perfect sides on my tires.

John
Yeah, a good sport touring tire will suit you well. I do ton's of touring and commuting on my bike and I don't hit the turns nearly as hard as other riders do. Chicken I guess.

I've got about 3500 miles on the Bridgestones and they are near to 1/2 way through (just a bit over, say 5/8s of the original tread left). I got just under 3k from the OEM Dunlops and also a fresh Qualifier (rear, front lasted approx 6k with a bit more to spare, maybe another 500 miles).

The Dunlops felt great on dry roads but as soon as it got a bit damp, they highlighted my poor throttle control. Now either I've honed my skills (unlikely within 4 months :laugh:) or the Bridgestone's just hold the bike down better. First 50 miles was a little weird though!

With my history with Dunlop tyres on the Street Triple, I doubt I'll go back to them. Unfair maybe, but I've never said I was a reasonable person :icon_biggrin:
I always thought the Qualifiers were a pretty nice tire, but to be fair my basis for comparison is very slim, this being my first bike. I've been satisfied with the Roadsmart rear I put on to replace it. For me, it handles about the same and wet traction seems comparable but like I say, I have a fair amount of chicken stripe left on the side of mine. I will say there is a noticeable difference as you are leaning over and the composition of the rubber changes from hard to soft. It is a little discerning at first, but you get used to it. Continental claims they can use a single compound and vary the curing process for each part of the tire, making the center wear better and the edges grip better. I don't know how accurate this actually is and I can honestly say I doubt they last as long as a tire with an entirely different center compound.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
another alternative I've found to like are the Conti Sport Attack and Road Attack 2s. I've got about 9k on my Road Attack 1s and am probably only 60-70% done with the rear, 40% with the front.

My next tire, if there aren't any sales will probably be Road Attack 2s.
Plus they look pretty :thumbup:

·
Registered
5,462 Posts
All I do is commute on my bike occasionally or take a nice little ride. Now that I'm married, my wife goes with me. If I could get 9000+ miles out of a tire then I would be extremely happy.

John
If I could get 9,000+ miles out of a tyre ... I'd be deliriously happy.

I get around 2,000 miles out of a pair. Opposite problem to you ... at 2,000 miles the edges/shoulders are worn off, but the centre line is mint. No commuting, no straight roads, all hills roads.

Nice problem to have, I guess.

O.B

·
Registered
70 Posts
If I could get 9,000+ miles out of a tyre ... I'd be deliriously happy.

I get around 2,000 miles out of a pair. Opposite problem to you ... at 2,000 miles the edges/shoulders are worn off, but the centre line is mint. No commuting, no straight roads, all hills roads.

Nice problem to have, I guess.

O.B
Maybe after we burn through a set of tires we should swap. lol. At least that way we would use the whole damn thing. Haha.

John

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
All I do is commute on my bike occasionally or take a nice little ride. Now that I'm married, my wife goes with me. If I could get 9000+ miles out of a tire then I would be extremely happy.

John
Get yourself a good dual compound ST tire. That will serve you well. :thumbup:

·
Registered
201 Posts
I just replaced the stock Dunlops on my 2008 ST3 with Michelin front and rear P3's. Initial impression was that it made the bike solidly planted and yet responsive, doing exactly what you wanted them to do.

Rode approx. 1500 miles since putting them on (750 highway miles) and the rear is showing slight wear.

I really like the tire.

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I just replaced the stock Dunlops on my 2008 ST3 with Michelin front and rear P3's. Initial impression was that it made the bike solidly planted and yet responsive, doing exactly what you wanted them to do.

Rode approx. 1500 miles since putting them on (750 highway miles) and the rear is showing slight wear.

I really like the tire.
Thanks for the update, keep us posted. :thumbup:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.