Triumph 675 Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had the bike (2007 Daytona 675) for about 7 years now, currently has 22k miles. Recently I started to get those crazy vibrations on the clip ons. Predominately on throttle side, the vibrations stop when I pull the clutch and let off the gas. It's really bad when cruising at 70mph, feels like I'm using a weed whacker. Nothing noticeable wrong at low rpm but clearly something is very wrong around 6k rpm and up. No loss of power, engine runs great. Tried replacing the cam chain tensioner with no luck. Initially I installed an APE manual tensioner which didn't help, I thought I was crazy after adjusting it many times and getting no improvement. I order a brand new OEM tensioner which didn't help either. Considering the vibrations stop when I let off the engine I concluded it must be an engine issue. I was convinced it was a cam related problem so I popped the valve cover to inspect for issues not visible through the side cover. Figured I would check my valves while I was at it.

All the intakes valves are in spec, two exhaust valves were out. One came up at .254 and the other was at 0.34, with spec being 0.275-0.325. Timing was correct, chain didn't skip a tooth or anything. Cam chain showed no significant wear. Chain was not stretched and all the journals on both cams are in spec. The cam chain did seem to be binding, I'm not sure though, could just be me looking to hard. So far this is all I could theorize that would be the cause of the vibrations. I did notice the basket or what ever you call the top aluminum plate for cams was in fairly bad shape for the journals. specifically on the side opposite of the cam gears. I can see/feel groves with my finger nail. This damage I would suspect was from the standard 06-08 oil pump slow failure. Which occurred when I owned the bike. Oil light came on and I immediately pulled over, had someone bring a trailer to get me. Maybe 1 minute of cruising with the light on but was only on when at low rpm.

I ordered a used head with much less miles. I got it for a deal and from what I've read the basket has to stay with the cylinder head, you can't just grab another one off ebay. My only thing here is I don't necessarily see how this wear could cause the massive vibrations. is there something else that could be the issue here? I really don't want to put this whole bike back together after the top end replacement and have the same problem. With the possible oil starvation I intend to inspect the bottom end but if there is any excessive wear I don't see how it would cause the vibrations.

From searching the forum and reading all else I could come up with would be a coil going bad? Do you guys think something could've happen to my balancer shaft?

Thank you guys for any advice you may have.

·
Registered
705 Posts
I ordered a used head with much less miles. I got it for a deal and from what I've read the basket has to stay with the cylinder head, you can't just grab another one off ebay. My only thing here is I don't necessarily see how this wear could cause the massive vibrations. is there something else that could be the issue here?
That cam chain is toast if those are really kinks in the pics. The chain should be very flexible without any binding when moving the links.

I really don't want to put this whole bike back together after the top end replacement and have the same problem. With the possible oil starvation I intend to inspect the bottom end but if there is any excessive wear I don't see how it would cause the vibrations.
From searching the forum and reading all else I could come up with would be a coil going bad? Do you guys think something could've happen to my balancer shaft?
Not sure about the coil; when I had one fail on my truck(4Cyl) it was not a buzz. The balancer shaft is pretty durable for these bikes, but hard to say without seeing it. Is the engine out of the bike?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts