Triumph 675 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Race Team Sponsor
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i am wondering how often in theory would the manual cam chain tensioner need to be adjusted? Would it be every time you checked the valve clearances? Also I was wondering how everyone with the manual CCT was getting along with the part. Any problems?? I know I have seen threads where people trashed their engine during install but after install how have things gone??

I am thinking of making this change but really worried about the warentee issues after install. I dialed up triumph N.A. today and they said yes this part would void warentee of parts affected by the change and I dont really want to void the warentee of my engine with a year left on it...
Thoughts....
rideco

·
Registered
6,602 Posts
If your cam chain tensioner is making noise and you still have warranty, bring your bike in and tell them to fix, replace or adjust the cam chain tensioner...and if they try to say this is "normal" tell them bullshit. If not, then once your warranty expires, slap on the APE Cam Chain Tenshioner

·
Registered
208 Posts
you could always put the manual CCT on and if you have a warranty issue put the original one back on before you take it in.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Install is pretty easy (I just forgot to read the directions), swapping wouldn't be a big deal.

I remember reading in some of the threads that they hadn't had to adjust these things once on there at any point soon. I'm sure if the bike started making the noise again, it would suggest time to readjust. You could always check on it every 1000 miles or 5000 miles.

From How-To Thread, page 3:
"The Race CCT, because it must be manually adjusted, can be set to take up all slack in the cam chain, even if the chain is, in theory, too loose for the stock CCT to do its job anymore. While the stock CCT is, in theory supposed to take up any new slack that forms automatically, the race CCT will not, so you have to re-adjust it. You will only know to re-adjust it if your cam chain starts making noises again.

But if you are like me, and you installed it because you were already experiencing a loose chain that your stock CCT could no longer sufficiently put tension on, setting up the race CCT to take up all slack should be a set-it-and-forget-it kind of thing, unless by some weird twist of fate your cam chain gets even looser in the future. That should be unlikely however, although a simple removal of the crank-case cover and re-adjustment of the tensioner while turning the crank to take up the new slack is all that would be needed to fix that." DevilFish

"I have not had to readjust mine in the last 7K miles and 5 track days. Rolling down the highway I barely notice when I go over the 7K threshold." Scooter Scott

·
Registered
709 Posts
I am thinking of making this change but really worried about the warentee issues after install. I dialed up triumph N.A. today and they said yes this part would void warentee of parts affected by the change and I dont really want to void the warranty of my engine with a year left on it...
Good luck, I had my tensioner replaced by the dealer. They just replaced it with the same piece of s*&^ that it originally came with. Not really sure this will fix anything. They also stripped out a few bolts in the process and after further inspection did not torque my cam ladder.

They will also be grinding on your case where the chain hits as they did on mine.

http://www.triumph675.net/forum/showthread.php?t=14746

I think they also bent one of my valves. I would suggest doing a compression test before taking it to them. This may not be pratical, because it requires removing the tank and air box to get the the plugs. I guess you could just take it to a shop that you trust with qualified techs.

This whole cam chain thing has been a disaster for me, and others.

Regards,

SAmb.

·
Race Team Sponsor
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for info guys.
rideco

·
Registered
299 Posts
The factory tensioner went bad recently too and Triumph know about defects in the 2006 Daytona but never saw it as a recall.The Ape tensioner is cheap($56)and easy to install.Good luck.

·
Registered
55 Posts
SPQR4U, did you have luck with the APE tensioner? I have mine coming on Thursday and I was wondering if it solved the problems and maybe any helpful hints (other than the DIY guide) you might have if you installed it already.... Any info will be a big help.

Thanks.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I recently bought an '07 Daytona in beautiful scorched yellow with 10k miles.

It's still got the stock CCT, and the seller and his racer friend who supposedly had a lot of experience with Daytonas said that if the stock one isn't making any noise, then it's not worth changing out.

I called the local Triumph shop in SF, and their mechanic confirmed the same.

The bike currently rides just fine. Should I believe the above, or just go get a manual one?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Did mine today and will follow your advice to loosen the tension-er until it's starting to make noise again, then adjust. But the engine sound already way better

1 - 11 of 11 Posts