Triumph 675 Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, practice day this Sunday at Mallala. I have a few things on in the afternoon but I'm going to head down with a mate for the morning sessions. Will probably ride til 12:30 or 1:00 then head off. Thinking I will probably ride down so I don't have to load/unload the bike onto the ute for half a day's riding.

Anyone else thinking about coming out to ride or for a look?

·
Registered
479 Posts
How do you like the RSVR? They are so cheap you should go and thrash it mate! I'm looking at the 2011 model at the moment.
As you would expect it is VERY nice. (Will soon be even nicer when have finished running in)

PS: You have an interesting view of "cheap". Make sure you get one with the Akra - the stock can is an anchor.

·
Registered
122 Posts
As you would expect it is VERY nice. (Will soon be even nicer when have finished running in)

PS: You have an interesting view of "cheap". Make sure you get one with the Akra - the stock can is an anchor.
I only need the motor and loom as I'm building a superbike based on the D16 tooling that I have already. The RSVR is cheap, it gives you D16 power for the cost of a 1198 Ducati.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Rorz,
Saw your first session after the lunch break (could hardly miss you with the gold suit on). Bike sounds nice.
Went looking for you in the pits after watching the next session and a 1/2, but couldn't find you and had to go.

Howd you find the organisation of the "practise days" ?..... I looked on the track web site but there was next to no info.
Have done "Champions" and "Cafe Racer" days at Mallala, but not what seems to be a "circuit run" day. (looked like a number of the officials were from Cafe Racers anyway)
Curious about start/finish times, how many sessions, how long each, groupings, and anything else that might be useful to know for consideration in relation to doing a practise day in future.

Thanks
David

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Hey Dave

There is definately a lack of info on the website. Couldn't find anything on there at all other than the date for the practice day. So myself and a mate with the 1198R decided it must be the same time as a Champions day, met up at Bolivar at 7am and rode to the gate. Arrived at about 7:30 only to find that they weren't opening the gates til 8:30..... Another hour of sleep would have have been great. There were 20+ other people waiting at 7:30 so obvioulsy a little more info on the website wouldn't go astray. We rode our bikes down this time as we both had things on in the early afternoon and needed to make an early exit.

Other than the start time mix up, the day was quite well organised. Seemed to be run by mostly cafe racer guys and they were putting cafe racer stickers on the bikes at scrutineering. The groups were the same as the Champions day a couple weeks back. Pretty sure it was blue for the racers or > 1.17s, red for intermediate fast, green for intermediate and yellow for slow. I think there was 7 or 8 sessions for each group in the programme but not really sure as we left early. The sessions seemed a bit shorter than the Champions sessions, perhaps 15mins compared to 20-25mins. They seemed a little short to me but still good fun. There was also probably only half the people out there compared to the Champions day which was a good thing. I only saw 1 other daytona which was a track bike which seemed to have been sprayed orange with rattle cans. I think there was more like 5 or 6 at the Champions day but I would say a few people were worried about the weather.

I'd had new tyres fitted on Friday (Dunlop Q2's) so I spent the fist session taking it easy as they were very waxy out the box (Fridays ride home in the pouring rain was eye opening). Was hoping to get a bit more pace up in the second session but then the rain came. Rained for probably an hour or so. One of the fast guys went out in the rain on a Ninja with full wets and was still cutting consistant 1.25's in the rain! That probably helped keep the racing line a little drier.

The track was fairly dry by about midday but I was planning to leave at the lunch break as I had a function to attend. Unfortunately there were no intermediate sessions between midday and lunch but they let me go out in the slow group if I promised to go out first and not cut them up too bad. The tyres felt heaps better than in the first session even with the track still damp in places. Started to cut some really good laps, probably quite a bit faster than my first day at Mallala a couple weeks back. Was getting knee down pretty consistantly on the right hand corners 3, 6 and 10. Then I finally got knee down on the left at turn 2. Was pretty happy with that. Started to catch a group of slower riders so I ducked through the pits to get some clear track but didn't make it back around to turn 2 before the session finished.

Was supposed to leave for the function after that session but after getting knee down on the left for the first time ever and doing what were probably my best ever laps of the circuit I decided to stay for one more session as intermediate was first up after lunch. Got back out there and felt really good. Got knee down on turn 2 probably 2 or 3 times in that session and put some pretty decent laps together.

After that I had to chuck the backpack on and head off straight away as I was already late. Sorry I missed you Dave, next time. Had a great day despite only getting a couple sessions in and definately improving with each track day. Having a blast also, can't wait for the next one.

Now for the bad news. When I arrived at the function I found that the wind had blown the zips on my backpack open!! My Held Phantom gloves and my sneakers had blown out of the bag at some point. So if anyone see's some white, red and blue Phantoms on the side of the Mallala Rd or Port Wakefield Rd let me know.... I also realised that I had forgotten to drop my tyre pressures and that the shop that fitted them had inflated them to 36F/42R! Way too high for the track. I don't even like them that high on the street.... I was going to drop them before I got to the track but as Champions had done it for me at Scrutineering I thought they would do it again. I had other things on my mind at Scrutineering and failed to notice when they didn't drop them. Lucky it wasn't too hot out there I guess. Oh well, hopefully I'll learn from both of those mistakes.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I also thank you, that was a great write up and OB has certainly set a high standard on here for the Adelaide guys.
I'm still contemplating doing the champions day on 20th March and after reading your write up I'm still very keen.
My bike does require a few finishing touches from Racecomp but only cosmetic.

It would be perfect if I could get to know some of you "experienced" guys and be allowed to follow you on the track and then I will know straght away if I'm good enough to be in the same group.

I have practiced my write up for after my first track ride and it goes something like this

"Shit those guys were fast"
But they still couldn't catch me.

Ha Ha

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey Macka

To be honest mate, for your first time at an unfamiliar track I wouldn't try to follow/keep up with anyone. Just head out in the slow group and get your bearings, learn some braking markers and get a feel for a line that feels good for you around corners. Take it nice and easy until after lunch when you're a bit more familiar with the track and then if you find you're passing the other people in the group a lot then move up to intermediate.

Once you have moved up to intermediate there will be guys that are faster that you will be able to follow to get a feel for the lines that they use and what kind of corner speed they carry through different sections.

Someone like OB is probably better to give you advice on lines for Mallala, he has a lot more experience than me. By all means head down though you'll have a blast. If I see your bike out there I'll be sure to track you down for a chat.

See you out there soon. :coolgleamA:

·
Registered
122 Posts
It would be good to see you out on the track Peter!

I would do more Cafe racers trackday if they let us out two-up, but they got all stupid about it. I know I upset one of the officials as we where faster two-up than he was on his own during a none C/R trackday. Yet they had our two-up pictures on the slideshow DVD at a bike show at Wayville a few years ago.

Care racers club say that a bike is a Solo and you can't take a pillion on the back, if that was the case why do bikes have pegs and a rear seat then?

MA cover the insurance and have no problems with two-up riding on the track, it's a real shame as it would be good for a pillion to get a feel of the track also.

Champions say that the insurance will not cover two-up riding on the trackdays. Oh well..

·
Registered
139 Posts
Well thanks to you all for your supportive comments.
I have watched lots and lots of you guys who ride the track and sometimes I think I can do that and other times I am amazed at how flippin fast they hit the corners.
I know my bike is very very capable and can do more than I can and is probably wasted on an old fart like me.
I have been riding since I was a young pup but never on a track so thanks again to you all for your advice and when I do book and ride I will look forward to meeting you face to face.

PS: Do I indicate when I'm going into a corner??

Ha Ha

·
Registered
88 Posts
hey all,
were there any photographers out there on Sunday ? if there were it wasnt ATK images as they dont seem to have any on their web pages as yet! didnt get out there myself but I like to flick thru the photos!

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
hey all,
were there any photographers out there on Sunday ? if there were it wasnt ATK images as they dont seem to have any on their web pages as yet! didnt get out there myself but I like to flick thru the photos!
I don't remember seeing any photographers out there. Thanks for mentioning ATK do the photography though, found a couple pics from the Champions day in Jan.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts