Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Screw Service, it's a ripoff...

Votes: 2 9.1%
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I can't find any specific threads on this topic. Let's keep it general and free of spam here. I'm looking to see what kind of estimates and actual cost people are getting here. Right now I am due for my 12k service within a month or two of getting her out of the garage this spring. I contacted my local dealer and got an estimate. Sounds pretty average to me. Here's the format I am looking for:

Dealer:
Big Twin Cycles (Boise)
12k Service Estimate: $600+ Less if the valves do not require an adjustment
12k Actual: Unknown yet...

6k was done DIY

·
Premium Member
9,300 Posts
6k was done by my local Triumph dealership (was just starting out with sport bikes with my 08 SE).

Attempting the DIY 12k on the SE now. (quoted around $700.00 at Jack Trebour, that estimate is only an approx).

The track bike's 6k was DIY.

·
Registered
631 Posts
I do them myself as my warranty is long gone!
Get the manual, RTFM!!! Some GOOD tools and a case of beer for the local friendly bike mechanic, for the questions you will ask him.
But price wise, bout the same down here…
Can get close to a grand if it needs some extra TLC.
And you know that it's been done right too, unless you have someone like me who will add a bolt to your pile and watch you flap about for a bit, wondering where it came from! :whistle:

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I do them myself as my warranty is long gone!
Get the manual, RTFM!!! Some GOOD tools and a case of beer for the local friendly bike mechanic, for the questions you will ask him.
But price wise, bout the same down here…
Can get close to a grand if it needs some extra TLC.
And you know that it's been done right too, unless you have someone like me who will add a bolt to your pile and watch you flap about for a bit, wondering where it came from! :whistle:
Yeah, I'm pretty sure I can do all of it, but since I "did" the 6k myself I was thinking it would be wise to have the 12k done proper.

·
Registered
631 Posts
If it's still under the warranty, then yea might pay to just in case anything goes wrong later on.
But if it's out, and you are confident in what you're doing then I'd do it myself.
The valve clearances are the biggest challenge, so if you're happy to do them and have the gear then why not?
The back of the hand book tells you what it needs, and I'm sure you're like me and a fussy sod when it comes to your bike.
Na, go for it, there's plenty of help here and the book is comprehensive, and it also gives you a chance to do any little mod's that you think it might need.
Snowing over there anyway isn't it? Nothing better to do!

·
Registered
7,853 Posts
DIY dude. You have Tune ECU right? Follow the how-to on here to balance your throttle bodies (if they even need it) and you know the rest. If you've never done a valve job before, you might want to consider taking it to the shop just for that. If you do, take it in without plastics, gas tank or air box so they have easy access, should only take them an hour to measure, another hour to adjust if they're out of spec.

And yeah that 12k estimate is decent, I got quoted $700 at one place, $900 at another. I DIY'd.

·
Registered
289 Posts
i just bought a second hand 2010 SE and while im getting tires replaced i thought ide do the 6k service to make sure its got all nice fluids in there, never know what the last guy was like no matter what he says. the mechanic at the shop told me after you do the 6k forget the service books, if you dump the oil every 3k you can stretch all your services out from then on out. he reakons the 675 motor thrives on fresh oil and it saves alot of wear on the valves, big end etc so saves on the work requied at major service. i thought that was nice advice from a mechanic as in the end it loses him money me servicing at longer intervals

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
DIY dude. You have Tune ECU right? Follow the how-to on here to balance your throttle bodies (if they even need it) and you know the rest. If you've never done a valve job before, you might want to consider taking it to the shop just for that. If you do, take it in without plastics, gas tank or air box so they have easy access, should only take them an hour to measure, another hour to adjust if they're out of spec.

And yeah that 12k estimate is decent, I got quoted $700 at one place, $900 at another. I DIY'd.
No, but I will get the TuneECU for when I have an exhaust and aftermarket air filter. The big problem is that I live 150 miles from my dealer and don't own a truck or trailer to get the bike there. So, it's all or nothin' for me.

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Then make it nothin', valves are easy if you go slow, take pictures and RTFM!
Not familiar with that particular acronym...? :wtf:

I'd be surprised if they need it, from what I've heard they hardly ever need adjusting anyway, and almost never on the first major service.
Yeah, I'll probably end up doing that, since I'm a cheapass. :biggrinjester: I've still got some warranty left. :whistle:

·
Registered
382 Posts
The valve check is easy !! Takes alot more time to get everything out of the way than to do the check itself !!! Now adjusting them is a bit more work, still very do-able but without a shop close by can be a major PITA getting the right shims. I actually keep a stockpile of them around but then I also do a triple's valves at least once a month. Biggest thing in doing the valve check is to have a really good set of feeler gauges and to always use the same set. And oh yea make sure you have the valve cover gasket sited right so you don't have a oil leak once it is all buttoned back up.

·
Banned
365 Posts
my TD 10k was $250 (Normal service materials/labor)

my TD 20k was $550 (Gasket, New Pads Front and back, cam chain/valve adjust, normal service materials/labor)

Most of the stuff is just a lot of checks on top of a service. and if it aint broke it don't get fixed.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Which gasket had to be replaced??
May need to replace rocker cover gasket, but many people don't if it's still Okay, hasn't been leaking, no nicks etc…
my TD 20k was $550 (Gasket, New Pads Front and back, cam chain/valve adjust, normal service materials/labor)

Front and rear pads in 20k? You must be the very last of the late breakers!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.