Triumph 675 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am I the only one to have this happen?
I got back from a spirited 75 mile ride last weekend to find upon dismounting at home that my seat cowl was GONE. I never stopped the entire time so I have no idea when it flew away. My hunch is that it happened when 3 or 4 of those wonderful blue lights on the dash were lit up!
I know it is incumbent upon all of us to check the tension on all bolts and fasteners often but I never had any experience with the pillon seat bolt/seat cowl bolt coming loose. The weird thing is that just before starting the ride I glanced at it and thought "I wish it came off easily and had a storage area underneath like my Kawasaki."
I guess it comes off easier than I thought!! (At least that precious screwdriver that Triumph gives us was still snuggly in place.)
So, let me save you all from my $200 mistake, check the tightness of that single hex bolt! :thumbup:

·
Premium Member
9,300 Posts
That sucks, I changed my bolt out since it was becoming loose too often. And well, look at the brightside... at least its mostly sand out there. It will make finding it easier.. :biggrinjester:

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That sucks, I changed my bolt out since it was becoming loose too often. And well, look at the brightside... at least its mostly sand out there. It will make finding it easier.. :biggrinjester:
...yeah but there is lots of asphalt for it to bounce across first! I cannot imagine how chingered-up it must be if I could find it.
Thanks for the tip about a new bolt. Of course the bolt is missing too so I am waiting on a new bolt currently as well as the new cowl. Maybe some locktite is in order. What I do remember is that it is difficult to get the bolt started in the hole.
(Cue the jokes about finding the hole!) :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

·
Registered
6,602 Posts
...yeah but there is lots of asphalt for it to bounce across first! I cannot imagine how chingered-up it must be if I could find it.
Thanks for the tip about a new bolt. Of course the bolt is missing too so I am waiting on a new bolt currently as well as the new cowl. Maybe some locktite is in order. What I do remember is that it is difficult to get the bolt started in the hole.
(Cue the jokes about finding the hole!) :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
You need to use T-handle allen keys to get the bolt to tighten down good and take off easily. The little L-key is shite

·
Banned
365 Posts
Unless it's buired in some Suv's Windscreen Haha, (You said you didn't know when you lost it).
I've checked mine after reading this thread as I would be seriously pissed and the above situation would be more likely where i ride if this happened to me

If you dont find it m8, look into a one piece tail section with light mount, similar price to the cowl replace and looks the shit :thumbup:

*L-keys r fine as long as their not made out of zinc :p

·
Registered
234 Posts
Then, I guess, a fast release lock replacement would be a bad idea... no much space anyway... :biggrinjester:

*L-keys r fine as long as their not made out of zinc :p
Why??? When zinc has so many good qualities... cheap, easy to work, save many surrounding metal from oxidizing too fast... very popular amongst the chinese tool makers, you know...?? :rofl2:

·
Registered
294 Posts
The seat cowl on my Speed Triple blew off on the highway, but I noticed it and went back to retrieve it before someone ran over it and smashed it. I was able to repaint it.

But that cowl comes off with a twist of the key. I thought the bolted on Daytona cowl meant I had no worries about it flying off, which was compensation for having zero storage underneath. Now you're telling me I don't even have that.

Like froghammer, I would have thought the black vinyl would have kept the bolt from backing out.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Then, I guess, a fast release lock replacement would be a bad idea... no much space anyway... :biggrinjester:
I have done the quick release thing with a Dzus clip, still can be a bitch to get off at times but I don't think its going anywhere…
And I gutted most of the plastic chassis out from under it (the cowl) to fit a puncher repair kit.
Why??? When zinc has so many good qualities... cheap, easy to work, save many surrounding metal from oxidizing too fast... very popular amongst the chinese tool makers, you know...?? :rofl2:
Zinc? I've had chewing gum with more strength!
It's made of lightly compressed pretend and hope.

·
Banned
365 Posts
I have done the quick release thing with a Dzus clip, still can be a bitch to get off at times but I don't think its going anywhere…
And I gutted most of the plastic chassis out from under it (the cowl) to fit a puncher repair kit.

heated grips, tubeless tire repair kit (id have just put it in my tank bag but hey) ; Do you live Above the tree line down there?

*How bout a talc alan key? Chewing gum is dusted with it and that is where it get's its strength :nod:

O yeh and i agree with logansdaytona for once, unless he is taking the piss

·
Registered
631 Posts
heated grips, tubeless tire repair kit (id have just put it in my tank bag but hey) ; Do you live Above the tree line down there?

*How bout a talc alan key? Chewing gum is dusted with it and that is where it get's its strength :nod:

O yeh and i agree with logansdaytona for once, unless he is taking the piss
Na, just soft…
And I'm not fond of luggage when out playing.
Hmmm, apart from the desert road, I can't think of anywhere that has roads above the tree line, never mind houses!
If you ever get down here check out the South Island, be like home for you if the postcards are anything to go by. :cool2:

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the feedback. I plan on looking into tying that rascal down with a leash of some kind in case it ever gets loose again. Funny how a $200 mistake makes you a bit more focused.

·
Registered
234 Posts
seriously, quick release would be nice... now, the stock, how would the bolt unscrew by vibration to the point of setting loose the cowl??? I mean, in my case the bolt sits underneath the "v" shaped upholstered tip of the cowl... and the bolt is pretty long, right??? take me "ages" to get the thread all the way out, while tilting up the "v" tip... unless the threaded clip is sitting on a groove rather than a hole on the sub-frame (lame, lame, lame)... better check it, right??? will do first thing in the morning...

as for the ZINC: dude, was a joke... should be used only on metal plating, roofing, and food supplement... :laugh:

anyway, seems that the Triumph675.Net Forums - View Profile: [email protected]@[email protected]@View Profile: [email protected]@[email protected]@wuzertheloserdude is selling seat/cowl in order to re-stock his leather goods (mouse pads) lol... :cool2:

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
Loctite is your friend.... I'm almost safety wired every bolt I could and the ones I can't I use apporprate strength loctite.

Things like fairbolts or the rear seat I use purple low strength loctite... I tried blue a couple times but was too hard to get off and didn't feel like stripping the bolts after a while. Purple seems perfect for those bolts that you take off often but need them not to move from all the vibrations at speed...etc.

-Nigel

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Does any one know the proper torque specs for the cowl?

I just screwed mine on today with Blue Loctite, and went for a 15 min ride and my dad noticed the bolt fell off while I ran into the DMV. Not 100% positive, but I swore I looked into the painted piece, and there aren't even threads for the bolt?

Can any one take a pic of the underside of their cowl? I've had two of these i've sold already, swear they were different than the one I just got for my 2010SE. It was quite a squeeze for how flimsy the bolts seem.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I lost the one on my TT600 the week I bought it and almost lost the rear set on my Daytona about a month in. A positive latching seems like a much better idea than the screw-type, but I'm sure that comes with weight.

Try loctite or a dab of silicone sealant around the threads/head to keep it in place. Or you could easily safety wire it with the front seat off. It's not like you really need to take that off for anything regularly.

Josh

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.