Triumph 675 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm looking at purchasing a 2016 street triple R, and pretty much the only thing I can see that's slightly amiss in the photos from the dealer (I'm out of state, but going to see the bike saturday!) is a small leak.

I can't really identify what this bolt/plug is, and what to do... I think it's an oil gallery plug?

If this is the only issue and it's a quick fix, I'm fine with doing it myself.

thoughts? sorry I know the screenshots here aren't great, but I'm going on Saturday to test ride and check this out myself, I'll get better pictures then.

pic 1 is directly of the leak, pic 2 is showing the leak in the top right and maybe some grime on the engine case in the center area.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive design Bicycle part

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Alloy wheel Rim

·
Registered
824 Posts
That bolt probably just needs to be tightened. I'm with Bat and have never seen that leak before.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's the cam cover bolt. I've never had that leak before.
That bolt probably just needs to be tightened. I'm with Bat and have never seen that leak before.
Hmm ok. Can cover bolt… unrelated to taking the valve cover off, right?

this has a little over 4k miles on it, so no valve check/services.

maybe I can tighten, ride it home, then take the bolt out, clean it up and put some silicone sealant on it?

·
Registered
824 Posts
That bolt needs to be removed when removing the timing chain as the chain goes around it. Not sure what role it plays other than maybe a support.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There's a gasket under it iirc, just tighten it
ok sounds good. I was reading elsewhere that the gasket has a metal piece that should be facing the head of the bolt as well, I might just back it out and verify that. Do you know of a torque spec?

That bolt needs to be removed when removing the timing chain as the chain goes around it. Not sure what role it plays other than maybe a support.
Interesting, ok.

Side note, I've been reading some things about the factory triumph manual vs haynes manual? any opinions?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Does anyone happen to have a part number for the washer/gasket behind there? I'm trying to locate one but I'm not seeing anything that looks correct, anything I'm locating is referring to the valve covers..

·
Registered
3,628 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I went to look at the bike today and damn is it clean.

that fluid might not even be oil at all, it could be leftover detailing product. The consistency wasn’t too Oil like, and I think oil would run a bit more down the side of the bike?

nevertheless, I’m getting a manual, torque wrench(s) and the gasket, just in case. I’ve started the purchase process!

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have the Triumph service manual .pdf on my tablet, as well as the Haynes online manual subscription. In my opinion the best thing to have would be a hard copy of the Triumph manual. The .pdf is a little cumbersome to navigate between chapters, but the Triumph manual seems a little more complete, and it's specifically for the model year bike you have. The Haynes manual uses photos of different model years as well as interchanges pics of the Daytona and Street Triple. It's not a big deal, but it's not perfect. But the Haynes is a little easier to bounce between sections, which you'll need to do often.

If it's not too late, make sure you get a torque wrench that reads in in-lbs and not ft-lbs. I just got a set of 1/4" drive sockets and ratchet, and the in-lbs torque wrench I use is also 1/4" drive. You have more space using the smaller drive wrenches and it just seems like better feel.

I use a Tekton torque wrench and it's one of my favorite tools, it has good feel and a nice quality to it despite being quite affordable.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts