Triumph 675 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So today my friend insisted that he rode 125cc dirtbikes so I let him take my street triple for a spin in an empty parking lot. NEVER AGAIN!! I thought I was gonna get a heart attack, I told him to get off after 20 seconds. OF COURSE he gets off from the right side!! So I run over but it's too late, drops the bike :angry:!!
I remained calm until I lift my bike, and was relieved, the frame slider took everything so no damage/scratches.
Anyways, just thought I'd share this, and never letting anyone touch my bike again!

·
Registered
90 Posts
That certainly is sucks seeing that happen. Glad to hear that the slider worked as intended.
For me, no one rides my bike except me unless its an emergency or because the shop mechanic needs to after a service/PDI

·
Registered
49 Posts
I let half a dozen people ride my SV, never had a problem. One even took it "around the block" and he didn't come back for about 5 minutes :laugh:

OP: your friend said he rode a 125 or actually had a 125 dirtbike?

·
Banned
941 Posts
I also learned my lesson the hard way, and lost a supposed friend in the process.

I purchased my first motorcycle as my daily driver (had no other vehicles) while I was a college student. I did not live on or near campus so it was a necessity for me to commute on it. My friend who I knew rode his cousin's motorcycles on suburban streets from time to time asked if he can take it around the block. I think he was trying to show off or something, so he went down to the end of my street, turned around and started accelerating like a bat out of hell. He hit the brakes hard and ended up hitting a plastic trash can and dropping her.

Given that this was my daily driver, I had to go and purchase the minimum parts to get her rideable again (new clutch lever and shift lever). I thought I was doing him a huge favor by not charging him for all the cosmetic damage (fairings and mirrors) as they were still functional. I told him to pay me for just the replaced levers as i paid out of my own pocket for them (i think it was only like 120 bucks total). He agreed and I didn't see him again for a while. I kept trying to contact him but he would not answer my calls or return them. I started asking my other friends and it appears he borrowed money from a bunch of them and never paid them back either. A few years later he happened to call a mutual friend that was visiting my place. He asked if he could come over to chill and I said no. I didn't care at that point if he was even willing to pay me back or not.

·
Banned
941 Posts
that sucks man. i dont let people ride my bike unless i KNOW their riding experience first hand.
now i don't let ANYONE ride my bike unless they have a bike that is equal or greater value than my bike. That way if the worst happens, i tell them I'll take their bike while they fix mine.

If they don't have a bike, I simply tell them to give me the cash value of my bike (8-9 thousand) so I can hold it while they take my bike out. Anything happens to it, i deduct it from the cash they gave me. So far, no takers. :biggrinjester:

·
Noob Hazer
12,385 Posts
As I say it when someone asks me to ride, BITCH PLEASE. Then I tell them no. Even if I know they can ride they don't get to ride. I guess Im a jerk, but its my money, my property and I must have trust issues. hahaha

·
Registered
752 Posts
Ouch that's lame. Personally I would rather someone take my bike on the highway than in a parking lot. Our bikes handle like complete fucking shit at under 5mph. I know this all to well.:laugh:

·
Registered
183 Posts
Damn that sux... What kind of sliders are you sporting, and do you have any pics of the damage?

·
Premium Member
9,297 Posts
The only people I can trust to ride my bikes are my dad and the people that I regularly ride track with.
Definitely with Toob on this one. :nod:

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The damage is really minimal, sliders and passenger rear set a little scratched but nothing else. Last week I was actually considering taking off the sliders because they're bulky and don't look very good, but I'm glad I didn't.
http://www.british-customs.com/triumph-daytona-675-street-triple-double-mount-frame-sliders.html
These are the ones I have.
I guess I overreacted, I would still let my very good friends who I know 100% can ride, but that's it. It was very painful to see my bike drop when I take such good care of it.
Oh well, more fear than pain on this one, I'll just make sure it won't happen again.

·
Registered
153 Posts
A good friend of mine had an SV650 before we met, then it was totaled in a low speed, sitting at a stop light accident. He used his insurance money as a down payment on a new street triple. When we met shortly after that happened, I had an SV650. He begged me to let him ride it, as he only had his for 1,000 miles before losing it. 60 miles from home, he offered me his Triumph. Ignoring that trade would have been foolish on my part. :smile:

So naturally, as soon as I got my street triple R, I repaid the favor, and let him ride it the day after I picked it up. I trust him fully. No one else touches my bike.

·
Registered
153 Posts
OP, how did those sliders hold up?? they didnt bend or anything when the bike fell??
Yes, I'd be interested in a picture of them if they're damaged. I just looked at your other post, and I have the same sliders. Hope they worked well for you.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts