Triumph 675 Forums banner
701 - 720 of 736 Posts

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #701 ·
Still in Washington?
Yep. Moved across Puget Sound from Seattle to Bainbridge Island. I ride my Daytona on the ferry every day to work. Once I get the bandit 400 running again, I'll switch to that and make my Daytona track only again.

That is still a nice space for a few bikes!
got plenty of tool mounting space and can get your stand in there niceley.

The real thing i want to see is the dedicated tool shop/ tool garage. Your wood working is insane
Yeah, once I clear out the woodworking tools I'll have more room for bike stuff. I sold my stand, but I'll make or buy another one. Picked up a pair of LED shop lights from Costco today. There's only one twist bulb in there, so it's extremely dark. I'll have 3 banks of 4' light pairs shortly.

·
Registered
4,167 Posts
My new "garage" for the next few years. The struggles of condo life.

In reality I'm super thankful I even have this space and it's nice and heated during the winter.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Lets work on our bikes together.
Come over anytime!!!!

·
Registered
4,167 Posts

Things are becoming a bit cozy in the condo storage unit and I have a third bike on the way...

So I got the approval to go out and buy a garage at an auto storage facility in town.

I've basically got a 21' x 21' space to do whatever I want with, it'll be about half bikes, half man-cave (sofa, TV, etc). I'm at a bit of a loss in terms of flooring though. Since it'll be low impact and only bikes I was actually considering some laminate wooden flooring. Anyone have any cool ideas or inspiration they can throw my way?

·
Registered
7,855 Posts
I've basically got a 21' x 21' space to do whatever I want with, it'll be about half bikes, half man-cave (sofa, TV, etc). I'm at a bit of a loss in terms of flooring though. Since it'll be low impact and only bikes I was actually considering some laminate wooden flooring. Anyone have any cool ideas or inspiration they can throw my way?
That sounds like an awesome spot. Been considering wall-mounting the spare TV in my garage so I can put the races on while I wrench.

Laminate wood flooring would look amazing, but you'd have to be really careful with kickstands. You can get little plastic discs that normally prevent the bike tipping over in hot weather as the kickstand melts into asphalt, but they'd do well protecting laminate. Personally, I don't like anything other than concrete in a garage I'm actually working in.

·
Registered
4,167 Posts
That sounds like an awesome spot. Been considering wall-mounting the spare TV in my garage so I can put the races on while I wrench.

Laminate wood flooring would look amazing, but you'd have to be really careful with kickstands. You can get little plastic discs that normally prevent the bike tipping over in hot weather as the kickstand melts into asphalt, but they'd do well protecting laminate. Personally, I don't like anything other than concrete in a garage I'm actually working in.
Thanks, it's a really nice space and is way nicer than anything I "need," but I'm really happy I'm fortunate enough to be able to snag one. It's a facility with a couple dozen garages (only a few left) built by a local auto enthusiast. Gated, nice restrooms, wifi, and everyone I've met that has a spot there has been incredibly friendly. I'm the odd guy out since I think everyone else has cars ranging from some classic Corvettes to a Koenigsegg.

I was thinking either some little pucks like that or get some of those mats that you see super cool-dude racers have their bikes on. I'd agree that a working garage needs concrete (or epoxy with some sand in it for traction). Me from five years ago would be ashamed to hear this, but unless it's a bolt-on part I really don't do my own work nowadays, I just have so little free time that I've rearranged my priorities a lot. It's a good problem to have I suppose?

Highly professional planned layout:

My fiancee is really supportive of me having a place for all of my hobbies. I suspect she doesn't know how little she's going to see me now (or is all too aware of it... hmm).

·
Registered
7,855 Posts

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #711 ·
Knolly,

What about Racedeck flooring? Built to be garage flooring and it looks nice. Short of hot-work on it, it should be good for whatever you want to do on it. Don't think it'd be too pricey for that size.

Update from me: I'm in contract with someone to build me a 25x37x10' shop in my backyard. Going through the permit process now.

·
Registered
4,167 Posts
Hokie, that shop is going to be amazing, can't wait to see photos as it pops up.

As for Race Deck, I looked at it and even Swiss Trax, but ultimately I want the garage to look more like a living room or a museum than a working garage. I'm worried that one day I'll spill or scratch something and curse the idea for sure, but I'm hoping the result will be worth it.

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #713 ·
Look into VCT tile or Porcelain tile. VCT is what you see used on grocery store floors. Durable stuff, polishes up nicely. Potentially slippery though.

Porcelain tile, if laid correctly with no gaps, can support a car on a jack without cracking. Plenty durable. Hard surface. Polishes up nicely.

Alternatively, how about polished concrete?

·
Registered
4,167 Posts
Currently waiting on a quote for porcelain tile, thanks for the recommendation. I found some that has a great pattern and has a good texture for grip.

Polished concrete actually was my original idea but someone else has that and let's be real here I gotta be that guy who is different, haha.

·
Registered
4,167 Posts
Just got pricing back for installed flooring (wouldn't have time to DIY this thing for months, I know, shame shame :p)

Roughly $2500 for laminate vinyl, $6000 for porcelain. :tears:

The guy also cautioned me against laminate saying that extended pressure from tires could be a problem and the more that I research it... It probably isn't a solid idea. So I have to either decide if polished concrete is the way to go or if I need to dig deep for some sweet porcelain tile. I genuinely had just never researched it because I always just pictured bathrooms when I think of porcelain, I guess I need to hang out at flooring stores more often.

·
Registered
7,855 Posts
Just got pricing back for installed flooring (wouldn't have time to DIY this thing for months, I know, shame shame :p)

Roughly $2500 for laminate vinyl, $6000 for porcelain. :tears:

The guy also cautioned me against laminate saying that extended pressure from tires could be a problem and the more that I research it... It probably isn't a solid idea. So I have to either decide if polished concrete is the way to go or if I need to dig deep for some sweet porcelain tile. I genuinely had just never researched it because I always just pictured bathrooms when I think of porcelain, I guess I need to hang out at flooring stores more often.
Dude. Seriously? Polish the concrete, pick up a set of BST wheels and come out money ahead!

·
Registered
4,167 Posts
Dude. Seriously? Polish the concrete, pick up a set of BST wheels and come out money ahead!
But it looks rad as hell!

Truth be told that's likely what's going to happen, the prices seem so ridiculous that I genuinely thought the guy misunderstood and was pricing out one of the units that's over twice as large as mine. Sheesh.

·
Registered
521 Posts
But it looks rad as hell!

Truth be told that's likely what's going to happen, the prices seem so ridiculous that I genuinely thought the guy misunderstood and was pricing out one of the units that's over twice as large as mine. Sheesh.
Man, just get one of the metallic epoxy coatings and put that down. Now those coatings look slick as hell.

·
Registered
8,111 Posts
^ While it looks fantastic, I'm not so sure I'd want a slippery surface when handling bikes. And I can imagine it's fairly difficult to locate a loose nut or screw, ect on these multi-colored floors, lol.

701 - 720 of 736 Posts