Triumph 675 Forums banner
681 - 700 of 736 Posts

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #682 ·
free vintage lathe is a bit more than not bad! great trade!
Except now I have another money sink. Gotta get some more tools, chucks, turning blanks, and it's only a 1/2 hp motor. So, that means finding a 3/4 or 1hp motor that I can put on a VFD for speed changes instead of only having 4.

Still, it will be useful. I was originally only going to get a benchtop one for making tool handles and drawer pulls.

·
2,459 Posts
Well I guess the original budget for the benchtop can now go into the upgrades! One day I'll get one. My wife just got me a Ridgid jointer and Makita thickness planer for my christmas/anniversary gift but I'm already lusting after a bigger table saw lol. My little jobsite saw isn't handling large stock and sheet goods very well, it's got those little outfeed arms but I need a bigger top.

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #684 ·
Well I guess the original budget for the benchtop can now go into the upgrades! One day I'll get one. My wife just got me a Ridgid jointer and Makita thickness planer for my christmas/anniversary gift but I'm already lusting after a bigger table saw lol. My little jobsite saw isn't handling large stock and sheet goods very well, it's got those little outfeed arms but I need a bigger top.
I wish I had a jointer. I'm the power jointer in my shop (rack of hand planes on the wall).

Look into picking up an old craftsman contractor saw. Make sure it is belt drive and has cast iron wings (solid or webbed). Can easily find one on craigslist for $100-150. Add a $30 link belt from harbor freight and it's a good setup. I've had 2 of them, and my dad still has one.

For supporting sheet goods, an outfeed table really is ideal, though. Most table saw tops really aren't big enough for sheet goods.

And my free lathe has resulted in $130 worth of tools/lathe accessories in a cart online right now to get going. That's not including a good chuck which I will want.

·
2,459 Posts
I wish I had a jointer. I'm the power jointer in my shop (rack of hand planes on the wall).

Look into picking up an old craftsman contractor saw. Make sure it is belt drive and has cast iron wings (solid or webbed). Can easily find one on craigslist for $100-150. Add a $30 link belt from harbor freight and it's a good setup. I've had 2 of them, and my dad still has one.

For supporting sheet goods, an outfeed table really is ideal, though. Most table saw tops really aren't big enough for sheet goods.

And my free lathe has resulted in $130 worth of tools/lathe accessories in a cart online right now to get going. That's not including a good chuck which I will want.
jointer is certainly convenient but still need a few good hand planes though.

yea I'm in the process of building an assembly table with a built-in downdraft (pegboard top) sanding section. building it to the same height as the table saw so it can double duty as an outfeed table so i don't end up buying another table saw. also because i just dumped some money into a collector. the shopvac can't handle the jointer :(

$130 is still less than what you would've paid for a new tool I'm sure.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Wait long enough, and I finally got the garage to myself. Tools and toolboxes, racks for gear, a non cement floor with anchors and a built in compressor overhead, etc.

Makes life SO much nicer not having to jockey bikes around piles of storage and working on them is so much easier with the garage dedicated to actually just being a garage.

The cars can stay outside :)

Attachments

·
Registered
179 Posts
I will finally be able to join this thread! Closing on my first house at the end of April. Got a one car garage, which is more than enough for the Daytona and the girl's new gixxer!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Super excited to be in my own place! The shed doesn't look like much and probably needs a bit of TLC but it's a start. Previous owners used it for storage and the occasional smoke house (hence the not-so-fancy paintwork on the walls) so it needs a fair bit of work.

I'm getting some good ideas off other posts in this thread :grin2:

·
Registered
521 Posts
I finally have almost everything in its place. Only took about 6 months from moving in..... I'm still working on building my powder coating oven but that will have to wait till after the wedding.

The bandsaw and spray things. Bandsaw is on wheels for easy positioning.

Toolbox, welding cart, fridge, etc.

More toolboxes, air operated press, tumbler, work bench, drill press.

9" southbend lathe and 5hp Quincy 2 stage compressor.

Early wedding present from my brother-in-law! 12" dual bevel sliding compound mitre saw.

Sandblaster and the Daytona under wraps.

Extra lift.

The start of the campus board. Did I mention my garage has 14' ceilings? Oh yeah!

One of the two overhead racks and the mezzanine.

The entire garage is plumbed for air. 7 hookups so I can run both powder guns, blasting cabinet, plasma cutter, airtools, jack for the press and always have a spot for an airgun or tire inflator. I also have a few splitters on hand in case I get more air toys. The powder guns get a separator and a desiccant dryer inline with them to really kill any moisture. The blasting cabinet has a seperator and a coalessing filter for nice dry air. And, before any air even starts to head for the lines it runs through an air dryer and giant water filter.

When you have to fit all your shop equipment in a garage you get creative. Eventually the oven will go where the spare lift is. It'll be 4'x4'x5'

As long as the woman gets to store her bike and gardening supplies in there she lets me do with it what I will.

·
2,459 Posts
The entire garage is plumbed for air.
Great space, real Jealous of that ceiling height! How do you like your RapidAir kits? Is it their home kit or MaxLine stuff? I'm planning on plumbing the woodshop and garage with that stuff once I'm done building our patio furniture.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Great space, real Jealous of that ceiling height! How do you like your RapidAir kits? Is it their home kit or MaxLine stuff? I'm planning on plumbing the woodshop and garage with that stuff once I'm done building our patio furniture.
Thanks! Yeah, the ceiling height is amazing. If I move and the new place doesn't have it I'm not sure what I'd do.

I bought the 1/2" maxline kit. It's only $60 more and I like the lines and solid compression fittings vs the push connect. Probably overkill for a garage, but it's nice. I recommend a second person for straightening the line and measuring the distance you need and cutting it outside. I didn't have anyone and had to straighten while on a ladder. It wasn't the best method. I used pin-lock couplers instead of the ball-lock. We use them at the machine shop I work at and they are much better fitting. Only a couple bucks more a piece.

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #698 ·
Figured I'd bump this up. Bought a new house a couple days before Christmas. The garage is definitely a step down in that it's ~9ftx18ft (I need to measure the length, not sure on that yet). The good news is, I'll be building a dedicated shop in the backyard, so this garage is dedicated completely to motorcycles. I've got tools going in there now, but just until I build my ~24x30ish shop in the backyard.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
That is still a nice space for a few bikes!
got plenty of tool mounting space and can get your stand in there niceley.

The real thing i want to see is the dedicated tool shop/ tool garage. Your wood working is insane

681 - 700 of 736 Posts