Triumph 675 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought an 06 Daytona 675 a few days ago asked about white spots showing up on the side, previous owner said he thinks it's mud and my foolishness thought nothing of it. Noticed no matter how many times i cleaned it they showed up after going on a ride.

My friend said it smelled like burning oil when he was riding behind me and on the same trip my bike shut down when coming to a red light and the red oil light came on. pulled over and looked at it saw that it was leaking what looked like oil onto the same spot. The resevoir cap above was also off so i don't know if it was oil or whatever was in the resevoir.

Changed oil and filter right before the ride but it was still having the issue I tightened everything to spec. It seems like it's coming from the alternator cover gasket but i don't know if oil is running through there enough to be spitting that much oil.

Just would like some pointers on where to start if someone could point me in the right direction.
Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive fuel system Hood Automotive tire

·
Registered
221 Posts
The reservoir is for coolant. You need to add some.

Torque on stator cover bolts is fairly low. You'll do damage if you crank it down hard as it's aluminum. I see more damage from overtightening than under.

By feeling around the cover you should be able to tell if you're getting any oil leakage. Also oil spots feel oily. Oil is also fairly heavy so when it leaks from a seal it blows backwards. Can't see it blowing up to the frame from the stator cover.

Hard to tell from this photo but it looks more like dried coolant.

Don't know what stator cover is on this bike but the Chinese knock-offs are notorious leakers.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The reservoir is for coolant. You need to add some.

Torque on stator cover bolts is fairly low. You'll do damage if you crank it down hard as it's aluminum. I see more damage from overtightening than under.

By feeling around the cover you should be able to tell if you're getting any oil leakage. Also oil spots feel oily. Oil is also fairly heavy so when it leaks from a seal it blows backwards. Can't see it blowing up to the frame from the stator cover.

Hard to tell from this photo but it looks more like dried coolant.

Don't know what stator cover is on this bike but the Chinese knock-offs are notorious leakers.
Reservoir is already filled to just under max line though :/, I just ordered a new cover and gasket because i thought that was the issue but then checking again it seemed like the hose coming from the reservoir had coolant in it like it was being pushed through from too much or just boiling over. not sure if thats what its supposed to do but that might be the issue for it spitting out on that side?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It is an expansion tank and should only be filled to just above the min line when cold. Otherwise when it gets hot it will overflow.
Hmm okay ill check to see about taking some out, i'll make sure to make it a routine on checking it. Could something be causing it to fill to quickly or is it just as simple as making sure it doesnt get to max?

·
Registered
845 Posts
There are two black platic elbows that go into that tank that fail/crack/break fairly frequently. Brass elbows can be found that replace the plastic ones. Another source for leaks is the grommet for the stator.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There are two black platic elbows that go into that tank that fail/crack/break fairly frequently. Brass elbows can be found that replace the plastic ones. Another source for leaks is the grommet for the stator.
Where would the grommet and elbows be located? I'm not seeing it in the service manual.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
It wouldn't surprise me if the overflow hose has come off the reservoir. What is that hose on top of the gear actuator? That shouldn't be there and if it falls any further could bind up the gear shaft.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It wouldn't surprise me if the overflow hose has come off the reservoir. What is that hose on top of the gear actuator? That shouldn't be there and if it falls any further could bind up the gear shaft.
I believe its the breather hose for the gas tank I haven't been able to find where to properly route it. I think the cap and hose are both bad on the expansion tank and its allowing air to get inside and boil it over.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
You can try running the bike up to temp on the stand and see if you can spot where the leak is coming from.
You can see here where the elbows and grommets are located on the expansion tank.

Font Art Diagram Auto part Line art

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You can try running the bike up to temp on the stand and see if you can spot where the leak is coming from.
You can see here where the elbows and grommets are located on the expansion tank.

View attachment 260907

heres a video, got it up to tempt gave it some revs no leaks so im guessing it's when im going or has been on for a while? also noticed a hissing once i shut it off coming from the expansion tank or bottom of gas tank and also realize I have a ticking noise in the top side of the engine :) problems just keep growing with this thing

·
Registered
845 Posts
The elbows are in the pic Far Canal posted. The grommet for the stator wires comes out of the top of the stator cover. If it's a leak coming from that grommet then it's oil leaking, not coolant.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts