Triumph 675 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi All,

I've searched the forums for different types of leaks and can't seem to find one that addresses this type (one that was close talked about coolant or something w/ the residue). It appears that the fluid is originating from a bolt like metal piece (in pic 5).

The consistency of the fluid is mineral-like, almost like oil, but doesn't feel/smell the same as the stuff I pull out of my dipstick. I've cleaned the area a few times and the liquid that is pictured comes at random (sometimes when sitting for a few days and sometimes it doesn't). The residue that is left behind leaves a sort of white residue.

I've called the dealership and am waiting for their Triumph guy to come in; so in the interim, I figured I'd throw it out to you all for your expertise.

Thank you in advance.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
11,902 Posts
How many miles do you have on it?

It's quite likely cosmolene. Triumph coats the motor pretty heavily and it was nearly a thousand miles before it burned off and washed completely off my bike.

That hollow tube sticking out of the oil sump is the weep hole for the water pump. It's there so that if the oil seal or water pump seal leak the fluids can't mix as they'll just leak into an empty chamber and drain down that tube. There is a bit of assembly grease used in the assembly of those parts so it's also possible you are getting some of that out of that hole.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for the replies, the dealer also speculated cosmoline. So this is something that can just burn off, no problemo?
I'm wondering how the liquid can gather on that one bolt and dribble down...weird...

Thanks again guys!

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Will do...

Macbandit: Have just over 1600 miles on the bike. I noticed this first happening a few hundred miles ago, but figured it was just some drip that was excess drip or something from an oil change or something.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.