Triumph 675 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was working on my Daytona this evening after putting my kids to bed. I had pulled the battery earlier today, trying to get the thing to start after nearly a month of inaction. I had been following the diagnostic advice of a thread here, since my battery was a little down in voltage when I had tried to start the bike yesterday. I had no luck getting it started this afternoon with a freshly charged battery, gradually wearing it down with a starter that kept clicking but doing little else. My other theory was water in the gas, so I picked up some heet from the local auto parts store. While I was out, a band of rogue leaf-blowers visited my townhouse parking lot. I opened the tank to dump the heet, and noticed lots of leaf parts all over the bike.

About five hours later, after putting the kids to bed and recharging my battery, I tried starting it up. After about ten starts of a couple seconds at a time, it finally started running well enough for me to take my hand off the throttle. I had noticed the smell of burning leaves, then thought nothing of it, as I regularly pick up some leaves while pulling into my parking spot on the way home from work. Then I looked down and saw a fairly substantial fire in the front fairing. I cut the engine and then started blowing at the leaves that had caught fire from the exhaust pipes. There weren't enough leaves for the fire to last long, but it was still a horrifying experience after seeing the footage another member’s Daytona alit.

Bottom line; beware those of you that have lawn workers, or who blow your own leaves near your bike!

·
Premium Member
9,297 Posts
Damn, that would have been hell. :laugh:

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
wow, could have possibly been really bad. glad everything is ok though.

good thing you brought this up, because during the cold season i get a build up of leaves from time to time in the garage in the winter time, ill make sure i give a looksy before i fire her up. :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I'm just waiting for the day mine goes up this way, is something that happens a lot and forever has me looking underneath.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Dude, I fucking hate leaf blowers! They're a terribly inefficient and polluting way of "cleaning". They just end up blowing each other's messes back and forth all day and usually get our bikes filthy in the process, deep into nooks and areas we didn't know existed. You totally stuck a chord with me on this story, hah. :angry:

Time to have a talk with the landscapers.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Yeah i can see where you're coming from. The old cleaner at my work(potentially retarded to some degree, he was deadshit!) used to get the leaf blower going out in the car park, time after time of being told to fuck off by various employees who's cars were getting filthy. The few guys at work who used their bike's as daily's almost lost it entirely!

·
Registered
4,464 Posts
I wish I never see anything like that around my bike! Glad to hear that it didn't get out of hand.

That would have sucked. It's no fun to see your 675 on fire, trust me.
I saw your pics of it all when you first posted them up. I cried for you...:tissue:

·
Registered
60 Posts
I had this happen to me too, but it was only a couple leaves, and they were the result of parking under a tree rather than leaf blowers. Learned to check for leaves on the headers rather quickly.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts