Triumph 675 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been thinking that I would like to know my lap times in the hope of getting better/faster. Have been looking around but most proper lap timing systems seem to be very expensive. I have found that some people are using a 5 or 10Hz GPS reciever with bluetooth and their phone (the 1Hz receiver in the phone won't do) along with a program called racechrono.

From all reports it works very well including sector times and theoretical best laps by using all your best sectors. It is also fairly cost effective. Is anyone else using this? If not, what do you use to time your laps and are you happy with it? What did it cost?

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
isnt there one built into the system? means pressing something each time, been too long sine I read the owners manual to remember, might get you through till someone gives you a better answer

·
Registered
601 Posts
Hi Rorz.

I actually have the hardware and software to run racechrono.

I have not actually used it on a track day yet, but I have to strongly recommend it.

I bought the gear from another of the regulars here, and saw the records it produces for a track session and it is much more useful that a simple lap time.

If you just have a lap time, and you want to go faster, what are you supposed to do..... take a handful of brave pills?

But, if you have, available, your speed at any point you pick on the track, you can then target bits of the track, work on a particular corner, and see the resulting gain (or not, as the case maybe).

The hardware that I have is a bluetooth GPS, a bluetooth OBD key, and an old Nokia N95 phone to run the racechrono software.

There may be "better" flasher new units, but it is streets ahead of just a lap time.

regards,CrazyCam

·
Registered
6,602 Posts
If you're on a tight budget use the one built into the bike. I have and it takes getting used to but do it enough and your times will be accurate enough and close to AMB or transponder times. Ive got it down where Im only off by a 100th of a second...which the built in lap timer does not calculate. I do have the occasional slip up like logging 2 laps as one...but just split the time in half to get your average for the two so you have an approximate. If you want to see how accurate you are, do a trackday where they include a transponder and time yourself and then compare the differences. The more you do it, the more you get used to it

·
Registered
122 Posts
RaceChrono and a nokia with GPS.
it has all the aussie tracks built in. However I've never got it to work at Baskerville thanks to the 'Network assisted GPS's in my nokia N95-8GB version2 (3g only not nextg)

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Rorz.

I actually have the hardware and software to run racechrono.

I have not actually used it on a track day yet, but I have to strongly recommend it.

I bought the gear from another of the regulars here, and saw the records it produces for a track session and it is much more useful that a simple lap time.

If you just have a lap time, and you want to go faster, what are you supposed to do..... take a handful of brave pills?

But, if you have, available, your speed at any point you pick on the track, you can then target bits of the track, work on a particular corner, and see the resulting gain (or not, as the case maybe).

The hardware that I have is a bluetooth GPS, a bluetooth OBD key, and an old Nokia N95 phone to run the racechrono software.

There may be "better" flasher new units, but it is streets ahead of just a lap time.

regards,CrazyCam
Hey Cam

I was thinking a quick glance at the lap time for the lap just ridden might help as at the end of each lap you know roughly the lines you took and corner speed you carried. If it was faster or slower I might be able to work out which way through corners is faster and what effect changes I'm making are having to the overall lap time. Plus I like the idea of the theoretical best lap as sometimes you might be on a great lap only to be held up in one or 2 section by other riders which will have an affect on the lap time.

Forgive my ignoance but what is the bluetooth OBD? Do I need one of these also? I have just purchased a 10Hz bluetooth GPS receiver and already have an N95. Where did you download racechrono on the N95? Any tips on setting it all up?

Cheers

I might have a go at using the in-built lap timer if I can't get racechrono going by Sunday. Unfortunately Mallala's start/finish straight is pretty short, I think it will be harder to hit the button while thinking about turn 1 than it probably is on other tracks but I might give it a try.

XT mini? Got a link for it?

Thanks for your responses guys.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Hey Cam

I was thinking a quick glance at the lap time for the lap just ridden might help as at the end of each lap you know roughly the lines you took and corner speed you carried. If it was faster or slower I might be able to work out which way through corners is faster and what effect changes I'm making are having to the overall lap time. Plus I like the idea of the theoretical best lap as sometimes you might be on a great lap only to be held up in one or 2 section by other riders which will have an affect on the lap time.
Mate, I am an old fart. While I am going round the track, I don't have time for pushing buttons, and certainly don't have time to read numbers from the dash......... the blue shift lights are all that I tend to notice.

Once a session is over, having all the data available for calm and thoughtful analysis appeals to me.

Then, I can work out a plan for the next session, try to follow it, and see, exactly, the results.
(This is from the mists of antiquity, when I used to play with race cars, and data logging was in its relative infancy.)

Forgive my ignoance but what is the bluetooth OBD? Do I need one of these also? I have just purchased a 10Hz bluetooth GPS receiver and already have an N95. Where did you download racechrono on the N95? Any tips on setting it all up?
You don't need the OBD Key, but it allows capture of data from the bike's ECU. It's a wee bluetooth thingie that plugs into the On Board Diagnostic socket under the seat. Lets you record rpm and other detailed stuff.

Look at http://www.racechrono.com/tracks/?lang=en&country=Australia

As I said, I haven't actually used my set up yet apart from short play sessions.

I don't know the significance of it, but my N95 seems to prefer my wee bluetooth "puck" type GPS to it's own internal GPS.
(I had the GPS unit 'cos I am a navigation freak!)

It does seem to me to be quite a complex set-up, and you (IMHO) need to get accustomed to doing it, well before you front up at a trackday.

One hint, remember to disconnect all the shit when you have finished!

I forgot to disconnect the OBD key thingie, and, after a few days not riding the Triumph, I had a flat battery.

regards,CrazyCam

·
Registered
474 Posts
Hi Guys
I have a Starlane GPS timer about $450 I think, fantastic timer with lap and split times, fastest Lap and split light, downloadable etc etc etc.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi Guys
I have a Starlane GPS timer about $450 I think, fantastic timer with lap and split times, fastest Lap and split light, downloadable etc etc etc.
I've seen a pic of one of those. Looked fucking awesome. How big is it? Hard to tell from the pic I saw. Can you post a pic of it on your bike?

Cheers

1 - 12 of 12 Posts