Triumph 675 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there. I have an '06 D675 that appears to have an RR problem. Checked the power at the battery and it drops a bit when I turn it on, and stays about the same when I start it....battery dies, and former owner told me a few too many times that he kept it on the tender all the time.

A friend of mine and I swapped bikes one night last fall (before I diagnosed thr RR problem) and he decided to go a bit fast. Said he topped it out at around 128 indicated. It has the TORS factory exhaust.

I never got it past 115 or so at the track (the straight at Blackhawk Farms Raceway isn't that long...).

SO - my question is whether the RR could affect top end? My guess is that it cannot, and as long as there is power and the engine is running, the RR being gone has nothing to do with top end.

Can it be that the ECU is incorrect? The bike sounds great and feels like it's running great, but I read in a magazing recently that the top end is up in the 150's. The previous owner gave me the ECU tune software and a cable, so that means he was playing with it...would the wrong ECU that feels fine when running cut the top end that significantly?

Weather sucks, bike is stored in someone else's garage (can only fit one bike in my garage with my car) and I'm not planning on replacing the RR until Spring.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. I plan to pull the tank and test the current coming out of the stator feeding to the RR when the weather warms up to make sure the the charging issue is limited to the ECU.

Mileage is like 6k. Bike is very clean. Looks like there was some modified wiring harness put in between the RR and the battery to make a direct feed from the RR, but the connections all look good.

Any help appreciated, particularly as to whether the top end problem is related to the RR...

-Dan

·
Registered
631 Posts
The RR may contribute to some of the problem, the ignition system is a power hungry unit, add to that your lights, fuel pump etc, and it sounds like your running a total loss system.
At high revs, there may be simply not enough juice to do everything required by the ECU to push you along.
Fix the RR, but look closely at the mapping program you have, it may be best to re load the stock map, and start from a known point rather than chase the problems someone has created for you.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Found a dealer that will fix the RR as a courtesy, which includes a new bracket, for cost of labor which he said he'd cap at $100 if they get there, which he doesn't think they will.

We'll see what that does.

I'll also go to the latest map available online (once I elarn how to use the software) for the TORS exhaust and see how we go from there.

These guys said $100 for a map check and upgrade, but the guys in Wisconsin at Team Triumph said they'd update the map on my Sprint (2006 with original map) for $20...we'll see if I can figure it out come Spring...I'd like to update both.

Thanks for suggestions - as for 262kph, that's about 162mph and I don't think my bike would get close...maybe my buddy was in 5th gear? I haven't had an opportunity to get the bike up that fast...not sure I want to, either...

- Dan

·
Registered
197 Posts
Blocked cat?
This could be something to look into, especially if it has a history of poor battery strength. A couple of years ago, somewhere on this forum, a chap had R/R issues. The end result of all the bump starting etc was that fuel had flooded into the front of the cat and burnt, melting it partially closed. This killed quite a bit of HP and ruined the bike's performance. Does your bike still have a Cat? Apart from that, I haven't had my bike past 242kmh seeing as I don't redline it but I guess it could get to 250kmh if it's still bog standard. Here's a link I found, its interesting it only seems to affect the bike on top end http://www.triumph675.net/forum/showthread.php?t=13072&highlight=melted+cat

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.