Triumph 675 Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to the forum and the Triumph world. Just purchased a 2009 STR with 2950 miles. I've been doing research for over 6 months on this motorcycle and decided I have to get one. Saw a pretty sweet deal and took it right away. No regrets! Here's a picture of her.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Welcome aboard :thumbup:

Check your charging system out for proper RR operation. Make sure you measure at least 14v across your battery when the bike is running. If not, then have your RR replaced. Do a search on this subject just in case.

·
Registered
154 Posts
You're going to love it! Amazing response, great sound, plus the coolness factor :thumbup:

And it looks like you're lucky enough to ride it year-round.... we've still got 3 months before the white stuff is gone & I can wake mine up from her hibernation lol.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Welcome aboard :thumbup:

Check your charging system out for proper RR operation. Make sure you measure at least 14v across your battery when the bike is running. If not, then have your RR replaced. Do a search on this subject just in case.
Sorry, new to all this. What is RR? I just need a multimeter to measure the voltage across the battery right?

·
Premium Member
1,038 Posts
Sorry, new to all this. What is RR? I just need a multimeter to measure the voltage across the battery right?
Hey welcome to the Site,
RR = voltage regulator, the 675's have had problems with them. I personally have owned 3 Daytona's and a Streety R and not had a problem but I know a lot of people do. Search the site and you will find loads of info

·
Registered
656 Posts
Yes, the RR is the regulator/rectifier, which is part of the electrical charging system of your bike and it is vital that it is working correctly. Measure across your battery with a DVM multimeter on DC volts and you should see at least 14v DC when the bike is RUNNING indicating the battery is getting re-charged. The battery should read around 11 to 12v DC when the engine is off.

I had mine replaced on my 2009 Street Triple with a build date on 12/08. The headlight was changing intensity intermittently and the actual unit was very hot to the touch. It is located right behind the rear shock between the shock and back of engine. The new unit is a MOSFET design and Triumph includes a new mounting bracket which faces the unit towards the rear wheel for better cooling. The new part number is #1301234.

That is the only issue that I have had with my bike but I like to point this out to new owners to prevent any problems.

·
Banned
941 Posts
Congrats and Welcome! As mentioned, check out your R/R, but I still have the stock unit with no probs.

Just out of curiosity, how much did you pay for the bike?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Congrats and Welcome! As mentioned, check out your R/R, but I still have the stock unit with no probs.

Just out of curiosity, how much did you pay for the bike?
I paid $7500. I looked on craigslist all around California and I saw a couple for 8-9k but they all had at least 7k miles. This one was local and the previous owner was in his 60's.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just checked my battery. 12V when the engine is off and 14V when the engine is running. Looks like I should be OK. However, I did notice that some of my radiator hoses looked like it had leaked coolant at one point. I asked the seller about it and he said the dealer told him that Triumph got a bad supply of hoses and that it could be fixed under the warranty but that it wasn't necessary. He told me to just keep an eye on it. Anyone else have that problem?

·
Registered
8,111 Posts
....Anyone else have that problem?
I believe most all of us have had to tighten up those clamps. I've done it twice since buying my bike in October '08. It's no biggie, if you park over concrete you know when it's time to do it, and be sure to periodically check your coolant tank under the seat. You might lose a little while riding and the only way you'll know is to check the tank. If it becomes a real issue, you'll need to change out the clamps.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Yeah, the hoses tend to compress when new and you end up with a leak. Replacing the hoses is not necessary, but sometimes wider clamps help if you can't seem to stop the leak.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts