Triumph 675 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
5,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So who'll be there?

I'm booked in. I'll be spending the day shaking down my new SV650 track bike ... it'll be the second day out for another mate on his SV, and we're bringing along at least 2 others, including a young noob on a bucket racer I used to own.

Should be a hoot. Can't imagine a better way to spend Australia Day.

Any of you Adelaide locals making it out to the old Dustbowl?

O.B

·
Registered
5,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm hoping to be there in the morning to watch a few sessions on 'stray-ya day. It's probably a bit too late to get everything organised to make a run on the track.
Too late? Eh? It's 13 days away! Book it, give the bike a quick check over ... away you go. Hire leathers if you need 'em. Easy.

What are you waiting for ... winter?

O.B

·
Registered
88 Posts
Hey there.

What group are you in this Saturday - and what bike/leathers/lid? If I get a chance I'll come out and keep an eye out for you.

O.B
Ill be on a black (green fuel tank) Kwaka ZXR 400 (number 48), black/greyish leathers, black gold helmet. Ill be in C grade atm- Ds just too slow and B's got all those big cc strait line fellas!
Mite see you there!

·
Registered
314 Posts
Too late? Eh? It's 13 days away! Book it, give the bike a quick check over ... away you go. Hire leathers if you need 'em. Easy.

What are you waiting for ... winter?

O.B
Between now and then I'm heading interstate wiping off a week, need to organise a tow car, ramps, possibly new tyres, work out how to load an unload my bike onto a standard flat trailer without dropping it without the bike ever getting onto the track.

I'm also a bit worried about rocking up and full suit leathers not fitting me, so might have to try on some technic violators (Champions leathers of choice?) at a shop first to make sure!

oh the list is endless! ;)

enough excuses, I'll be there in some form or another :thumbup:

·
Registered
5,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Between now and then I'm heading interstate wiping off a week, need to organise a tow car, ramps, possibly new tyres, work out how to load an unload my bike onto a standard flat trailer without dropping it without the bike ever getting onto the track.

I'm also a bit worried about rocking up and full suit leathers not fitting me, so might have to try on some technic violators (Champions leathers of choice?) at a shop first to make sure!

oh the list is endless! ;)

enough excuses, I'll be there in some form or another :thumbup:
Ah, I can see how the interstate trip could mess up the timing. Fair enough.

Best way to get a bike safely onto a standard trailer is to contact Easy Trailer and grab one of their locking wheel chocks to bolt into your trailer. Highly recommended, makes loading a one person job.

I think that Champions run Teknic Chicanes, but don't quote me on that. Out of interest, I'm 6 foot 3 (109+ cms) and 75-80 kilos and wear a Teknic Violator suit in size 44.

Hope to see you out there.

O.B

·
Registered
5,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey OB
How are you looking for Mt Gambier in March?
I'm glad you mentioned that. As of today, things have changed, and it might in fact be looking a little bit more likely.

I was headed for California Superbike School at the Island in March, but a mate has dropped out (long story ...) leaving me to choose whether to still go on my own and wear all the fuel and accommodation costs myself ... or maybe go to Gambier?

Despite it still being a decent drive, obviously the cost of the day at Gambier will be far lower, so it could be a more realistic choice. I might also be able to package it up as a family trip, which could tip things, too.

Can you refresh my memory as to the dates, costs and conditions?

Thanks for the heads up.

O.B

·
Registered
88 Posts
Hey all,
wow great day at Mallala today, bit hot and sunburn lol, but I cracked out some great (for me) times and had a real ball, I havent been to the track since April last year so it was good to have some time out (O.S trip and fractured shoulder). Wasnt busy at all and there were only a handfull of riders in each grade leaving nice clear laps to tidy up everything -always enjoyable for me to scrap with the bigger cc bikes with my 400cc that little motor is a screamer!

·
Registered
5,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well done man!

It's great when you have a clear track, isn't it? I spent the day working on my track bike, getting her ready for the 26th. It now has a functional cooling system. One job down ... about a dozen to go!

O.B

·
Registered
5,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'll be there if I can ever get my brakes sorted!

Well, I'm booked ... so I bloody well better get 'em sorted, I guess!

I'll be on a daggy white SV650 track bike, and I wear black and white Teknic leathers. I'm helping out a couple of noobs on the day, one who bought an ex race bucket from me, so by all means come and say g'day.

O.B

·
Registered
474 Posts
Hey OB
The race meeting is on the 11,12,13 of march the entry and the costs are here at www.hartwellmcc.org
you can also join the Mac Park club and be a member there instead of Hartwell if you like, seeing as that track is closer to you.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
I'll be there if I can ever get my brakes sorted!

Well, I'm booked ... so I bloody well better get 'em sorted, I guess!

I'll be on a daggy white SV650 track bike, and I wear black and white Teknic leathers. I'm helping out a couple of noobs on the day, one who bought an ex race bucket from me, so by all means come and say g'day.

O.B
You can help out one more noob if you like... :laugh: I'll be sure to say hello.

I haven't been out to Mallala since seeing a few car events out there about 4 years ago and unforunately it isn't on SBK for PS3 like Phillip Island is so I'll have to have a look at some other riders lines around there. What is traction like at Mallala? I couldn't believe the amount of grip avaliable at the island, after riding on the road it was amazing.

Who do you see about getting a pit garage for the day? Would be good to be able to keep the bike, gear and some chairs in the shade if it's a hot one or if it rains.

·
Registered
5,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You can help out one more noob if you like... :laugh: I'll be sure to say hello.

I haven't been out to Mallala since seeing a few car events out there about 4 years ago and unforunately it isn't on SBK for PS3 like Phillip Island is so I'll have to have a look at some other riders lines around there. What is traction like at Mallala? I couldn't believe the amount of grip avaliable at the island, after riding on the road it was amazing.

Who do you see about getting a pit garage for the day? Would be good to be able to keep the bike, gear and some chairs in the shade if it's a hot one or if it rains.
Yep, say hi on the day by all means.

La La Land is no Phillip Island, that's for sure. It's shorter, slower, bumpier ... about the best I can say for it is that the weather on average is better!

It's certainly grippy enough out there though. It can be a bit dusty here and there but that's usually cleared after the first sessions.

When you get there just park next to one of the garages and generally a bloke on a push bike will show up and ask you if you want a shed - pay your money and away you go, I think it's $50 a bay or something. There are usually plenty of friendly folks keen to split shed costs, just talk to people and you'll be fine, everyone is very welcoming.

Champions days are well organised and usually run to schedule. You'll enjoy it, and like me you'll be hopelessly addicted ... all your money will be spent on track fees, tyres, race glass, brake pads .... I could go on ...

O.B

·
Registered
5,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Anyone know if they will have tyre changing facilities at the track? I'm not sure my Pirelli's will make it through a full day. Might have to get the Dunlops I have put on at the track if there is someone there doing tyres.
The short answer is 'yes.'

Champions have a tyre tech at the track and they sell and fit tyres, so you should be fine. No doubt there'll be a fee involved if you BYO to have them fitted.

Which Dunlops did you get? I'm running a Sportmax or some old rubbish on the rear of the SV, but will hopefully have a Metzeler Racetec K2 on the front - my favourite tyre by a long shot.

O.B

1 - 20 of 45 Posts