Triumph 675 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to get some hard sided storage on my street 3 if possible for things like a toolkit, and I can't help but think it would be just about perfect to mount an ammo can or something similar onto the side of the givi crash bars I have bolted onto my bike. My main question is, with most luggage setups placing everything behind the rider, is there anything unsafe about making up some sort of mount to hang a case off of these crash bars? I want to make sure I'm not overlooking some kind of safety aspect that necessitates mounting that sort of thing behind the rider like I normally see.

(BTW, I couldn't care less about aesthetics as far as luggage hauling is concerned.)

·
Registered
5,462 Posts
Depends what it is, precisely where it is and how it fits.

For instance, if you were to use, say, ammo cans mounted on the crash bars, just imagine the bike coming to a complete stop instantly from 50mph, think about where your legs are and what might happen.

Any crash from that speed would be nasty, but would you break your shins on the cans before doing a superman trick and flying over the bars?

Of course, fly over the bars into something solid enough and you won't be caring too much if your shins are intact or not ...

I'm not saying your idea is fundamentally flawed, and I'm no expert, but I just visualise any sort of hard luggage right in front of your legs and my instant reaction is :"ouch!"

So yeah, I reckon that apart from tank bags, there's probably a good reason for keeping luggage behind the rider.

My 2 cents.

O.B

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
Tank bags are fine :thumbup:

·
Registered
631 Posts
Not on my paint they aren't. :whistle: I think a tank bag would polish that matte gray to a shine pretty fast.
Na, I got a few of them from phone and keys size through to kitchen sink.
Only got a couple of marks from where I ended up with a tiny bit of metal in-between the tank and the magnets.
And I usually check too!
No other problems, but I prefer my tail pack for day to day use.
If choosing between the two, tail packs the better one by far with better weight placement, and only little tank bags don't get in the way.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.