Triumph 675 Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm looking to get a 2009 Daytona 675 w/27k miles tomorrow, but am comparing to a newer 2016 ninja 650 w/8k miles. I REALLY want to go with the 675 but am worried that since I'll be dailying it, if 27k miles on an 09 is alot and if it will start giving me trouble soon. Also, do they really eat tires that bad? Would I have to replace every 7-10k miles?? Suggestions? Answers? HELP???
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive tire

Wheel Tire Fuel tank Automotive lighting Automotive tire

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive lighting Automotive tire

Tire Wheel Automotive tail & brake light Fuel tank Automotive fuel system

Tire Wheel Vehicle Fuel tank Automotive lighting

·
Registered
2010 Street Triple (Base)
9 Posts
I'd say that being taken care of properly is much more important than actual mileage. If service/maintenance records are available for the Daytona and it appears well cared for, then 27k is next to nothing. By the same token, if that Ninja has not been run regularly or doesn't have any records? It may very well have more significant issues than you'd encounter with a higher mileage bike.

As for "eating tires", that is mostly dependent on your throttle control and tire type. A soft compound tire + heavy on the throttle = very short life, while a harder compound + judicious throttle control can get you 10k (and, yes, that's a lot for a motorcycle tire!)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'd say that being taken care of properly is much more important than actual mileage. If service/maintenance records are available for the Daytona and it appears well cared for, then 27k is next to nothing. By the same token, if that Ninja has not been run regularly or doesn't have any records? It may very well have more significant issues than you'd encounter with a higher mileage bike.

As for "eating tires", that is mostly dependent on your throttle control and tire type. A soft compound tire + heavy on the throttle = very short life, while a harder compound + judicious throttle control can get you 10k (and, yes, that's a lot for a motorcycle tire!)
Thanks!! They both appear to have been taken care of. At least that's what Im being told. More worried about the Daytona because 8k on a bike means a lot less time to have to worry about then not taking care of it. But they both look good from the pics!

·
Registered
492 Posts
My 2012 D675R has 36K and is fine. As noted above, care and regular maintenance means a lot. Did they change the oil at least once a year? Has the coolant ever been flushed? Has the fork/rear shock ever been serviced? Is the bike generally clean (even behind the fairings)? Has the Stator/RR ever been replaced as 675s are notorious for frying them? Service records mean a lot.

You didn’t ask but IMHO, the Daytona sucks as a daily driver. It’s a fabulous track weapon but riding it on surface streets and/or superhighway commutes would not be fun. The riding position is committed, handling is blah below 60 mph, the suspension is taut and so on. It wants to turn, turn, turn. Riding it in straight lines for any period of time is tiring.

Cheers,
x

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks!! They both appear to have been taken care of. At least that's what Im being told. More worried about the Daytona because 8k on a bike means a lot less time to have to worry about then not taking care of it. But they both look good from the pics!
Sure! Be careful of putting too much faith in pics though! I've gotten my hopes up with quite a few vehicles that looked great in pics, only to be severely disappointed when seeing them in real life!

As for the mileage, just be aware that an older bike with very low mileage means it has spent a lot of time "sitting" and that's usually not a good thing. OTOH, Daytona riders are probably harder on their bikes than Ninja 650 riders are on theirs... two very differently purposed bikes, despite their outward similarities...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My 2012 D675R has 36K and is fine. As noted above, care and regular maintenance means a lot. Did they change the oil at least once a year? Has the coolant ever been flushed? Has the fork/rear shock ever been serviced? Is the bike generally clean (even behind the fairings)? Has the Stator/RR ever been replaced as 675s are notorious for frying them? Service records mean a lot.

You didn’t ask but IMHO, the Daytona sucks as a daily driver. It’s a fabulous track weapon but riding it on surface streets and/or superhighway commutes would not be fun. The riding position is committed, handling is blah below 60 mph, the suspension is taut and so on. It wants to turn, turn, turn. Riding it in straight lines for any period of time is tiring.

Cheers,
x
Huge help, thanks! It's just tough turning away from something this good looking... 🤦

·
Registered
90 Posts
I have a 2015 with 14000 miles on it and it still feels brand new. I will echo the riding position and suspension comments.. it's punishing to say the least hahah.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Get the 650. It'll be much more forgiving for a beginner. I'm not trying to insult you, but a supersport bike is the equivalent of a supercar. How many new drivers do you think could responsibly drive a Lotus? Plus the 650 will be cheaper on insurance.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Get the 650. It'll be much more forgiving for a beginner. I'm not trying to insult you, but a supersport bike is the equivalent of a supercar. How many new drivers do you think could responsibly drive a Lotus? Plus the 650 will be cheaper on insurance.
I do get what you're saying. If you're saying that because you think I'll be driving over 100mph and doing wheelys, you need not worry. Im 30yrs old and am not much of the risk taker. I just want a great bike.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm almost 44 and still do dumb shit. The bike is like a woman, it makes you do dumb shit whether you want to or not.
That's funny you compared it to a woman. I was telling my buddy that I was fully committed to the Ninja 650 until this gorgeous blonde in a red minidress (the Daytona) walked in my life. Now I feel like I'm about to cheat on the guy who's holding the Ninja 650 for me

·
Registered
817 Posts
The parallels are there.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I've had both. Sold the ninja, still have the Daytona. Will always have the Daytona.

You only think about comfort when the road is boring.

And tire life depends mostly on what type tires you buy. Can't say I've ever gotten 7k out of sticky hypersport tires.

And a properly taken care of a bike will last forever.

This guy is over 300,000 miles with no engine work and the original clutch

·
Registered
9 Posts
Truth! Hell, the 650 is faster than 95% of cars on the road and you can do plenty of d(umb) s(hit) on it if you want to!

I do get what you're saying. If you're saying that because you think I'll be driving over 100mph and doing wheelys, you need not worry. Im 30yrs old and am not much of the risk taker. I just want a great bike.
Lol! You clearly have not been "drunk on throttle" yet! Man, I waited until I was almost 50 and STILL do d.s. at 50+! Not as often, but there is something about hitting the apex of a curve you know so well that you can almost double the recommended speed limit... or rocketing past some backwards hat wearing Mustang bro... just 'cause you can.

I'm almost 44 and still do dumb shit. The bike is like a woman, it makes you do dumb shit whether you want to or not.
Well said!

·
Registered
492 Posts
Buy the Ninja. Learn to ride on the road for a year or two. Figure out how serious and committed you are to daily moto driving. Once you know that, figure out what your next bike(s) will be.

FWIW - If I were limited to one bike for everything, it would be a Street Triple - probably a 765 RS. If luck comes your way, pick up a quiver of bikes - the old “horses for courses“ thing. A Tiger for commuting, a Trident or Street Triple for fun rides and a Daytona for the track.

Yes, I love the three cylinder Triumph engine.

·
Registered
9 Posts
... a properly taken care of a bike will last forever.

This guy is over 300,000 miles with no engine work and the original clutch

That was an amazing story and a big part of why I wanted an F4i. I only put 25k on mine but it was rock solid and had a little over 33k when I sold it last week. Would've been more than happy to keep it but got tired of having to take the plastics off for every single little maintenance item...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts