Triumph 675 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, here comes the rather lengthy explanation, but I want to make sure all you guys with more brains than I can get a full picture....

Started the bike the other week, let it idle for a bit to get some temp in the motor. Got on, and rode around the neighborhood (it's in track clothes at the moment, so no open road). All of a sudden, the temp gauge starts to counts down... it was at 5 bars, then 3, then 1, then none...

So, I stop the bike, turn off the ignition, then turn it back on. It shows 5 bars. Crank her up, and finish my loop... no issues. No CEL.

THEN... fast forward to today.

I get to the shop, swap out the TBR on the bike for a Jardine (long story), and decided to take her for a spin. BUT, the tires look a little low. So, I roll it over to the air compressor, crank her up to get some temp, and then get to the tires. All of a sudden, the fans kick on...understand, this is less than 5 min of idling... hmmmm... so I look at the gauges, and OMG!! they show a full 10... yes, that's ten bars! I freak out, kill the ignition, and grab a lazer temp light to see just how bad it is. Scan the radiator and see 101 F. Scan the bottom of the motor, it shows 108F, scan the head and 106F if I remember correctly. So, clearly not an overheat...

... then the CEL pops on.

I attempt to start her, and it seems like it doesn't want to turn over, and it smells like a lot of raw gas. Finally get her to start, and the idle is nearly 2200rpm, and it was rich rich rich.

THOUGHTS??

guessing, faulty coolant temp sensor ($43 at bikebandit, btw), causing the ecu to freak out, run rich, then slip into limp mode??

HELP!

·
Registered
946 Posts
Sounds like a faulty temp sensor, giving an out of range voltage output which would bring up a fault code relating to that circuit. The idle speed will increase and the engine will run rich if the ecu think's the engine temp is cold(progressively more so, the "colder" it is.) even though this may not be the case, as the sensor is reporting incorrectly.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the advice. I am going to plug up the laptop tomorrow with the TuneEcu program to get the code it's currently throwing... I will report my findings back here.

Unless you think that it would be a bad idea, I plan to clear the code and see if I can start the bike and take her for a quick parking lot outing to see what she does and how she acts.

If the temp sensor is what is throwing the code, I will either get one on order through the dealer, or I will place my order through bike bandit.

On the same note, where exactly is this sensor (coolant temp), and how hard it is to get to/swap out?

·
Registered
946 Posts
Yep, sounds good. I dont know where the sensor is, never looked for it/had to change it, but i'd imagine it would be on the thermostat housing/elbow or somewhere around there. Should be pretty easy to find and simple to change(most likely just remove the LHS fairings?!(again, im unsure on that but it should be near there?)

Edit - Just remembered i have a service manual... Yep, it's on the rear of the cylinder head, possibly have to remove the tank and air-box to access!

·
Registered
860 Posts
man... I need a service manual.

Either way, I will figure it out. I found a used one from a bike being parted out on ebay... haha... for $10. So, I am going to go ahead and get that for now and see. The way I look at it, even if the "new" one is no good, I am only $10 stuck... HAHA!

I will have to look into exactly how to get to it... I suppose if I need to get to it through the tank, it will give me a good opportunity to clean out the airbox, check the ol' air filter, and inspect all the vacuum lines, etc.

Like I said before, tomorrow I will let the laptop and TuneEcu tell me what it can, and then I will reset the code and see how she runs and for how long.

Overall, this is still depressing...

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
yes its your coolant temp sensor changed mine 2wice already 2nd time just a couple of months ago its 56 bux on bike bandit takes about a week to get to you.

The sensor is located on the back upper of the engine/head - 5 inches to the right of the T-stat

If you start showing all BARS or No Bars or just a couple bars and it is warmed up, then its your temp sensor there is a how to on this I had to do it a while back but I noticed the resi tank was Boiling coolant.

1.) Check Rad Cap
2.) Check Thermostat( Take out put in pot fill with water turn up the heat *Boil* watch for T-stat to open If it doesn't than thats your prob)
3.)Temp Sensor (If temp bars act up)"IE: 2 temp bars when you know its fully warmed up"

heres the how to

http://www.triumph675.net/forum/show...nt+temp+sensor

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
UPDATE:

TuneEcu has revealed:

P0118: Coolant Temperature sensor open circuit or short circuit to battery

So, I guess it's time to plave an order with ol' bikebandit, although, in support of my local dealer, I plan to give him a call for a price first.

While I have her all opened up to do the sensor, anyone think I might as well invest the $20 more in a new thermostat? I plan to take that time to flush, clean, and replace all of the coolant anyway.

In fact, from what I understand, the tank, airbox, and even throttlebodies must come off to replace this coolant temp sensor... maybe I will go ahead and do plugs? (bike is sitting at 8300 miles.

Other thoughts?

And queezy.... THANKS!!

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
UPDATE:

TuneEcu has revealed:

P0118: Coolant Temperature sensor open circuit or short circuit to battery

So, I guess it's time to plave an order with ol' bikebandit, although, in support of my local dealer, I plan to give him a call for a price first.

While I have her all opened up to do the sensor, anyone think I might as well invest the $20 more in a new thermostat? I plan to take that time to flush, clean, and replace all of the coolant anyway.

In fact, from what I understand, the tank, airbox, and even throttlebodies must come off to replace this coolant temp sensor... maybe I will go ahead and do plugs? (bike is sitting at 8300 miles.

Other thoughts?

And queezy.... THANKS!!
np bro:thumbup: nah you wont need a new T-stat but you can check it to be sure in my post before this one. it is possible to change the temp sensor with out taking the TB's and all that off but...... Its a bitch I couldn't get my mitts down there..... but being you have to go down there its a great time to do some other mods if you haven't done them already, remove SAI, Manual Idle Control..... oh and check the balance of your TB's with Tune ECU

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yeah... I figured while all that was off, I would check over all vacuum lines, clean things up (a protable steamer seemed like a good option), and then the SIA was on my list...

... but, with that being said, where can I get the block off plates for the SIA tubes? Or is there an alternative means of blocking them?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts