Triumph 675 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had posted up on the WERA forums, but figured I should check here in case there's any Daytona specific issues that might be at play here. Any help would be appreciated.

Quick context: I've raced this bike (2015 Daytona R) for about two years with no problems at all. Had an 07 before this one.

Have a problem going back to last year's GNF. After one clean day of racing, I started to have this problem occasionally on throttle. It was seemingly random, and having the bike miss a few ignitions while leaned over makes for some code brown moments. I had to skip the race shown in the video below, but some start up cycles the issue would be completely non existant and I was able to run a full race.

I had it on the battery charger just in case it was a RR problem or something, but that had no discernable impact. Also made sure that my foot wasn't accidentally triggering the quickshifter.

PO put a bazzaz on there and I've never modified the map or tried to use the TC stuff on it. I was able to hook the module up to my laptop and read maps - nothing obviously wrong. Didn't see anything wrong with the sensor wire, but haven't followed that to the coils yet.

No CEL active now, though I had a wheel speed sensor error code last year, don't remember if it also occurred during this problem.

Only other thing I can think of is that I pulled the gas tank for the first time before the GNF and was fiddling with the fuel line routing. I don't think I pinched it, and the cut out seems kind of abrupt for that.

Unable to duplicate the issue in gear on stands, and it's not street legal to check out.

Some examples below at 1:00 and 4:30 but there are others too.

Update from original post: swapped plugs and cleaned/reconnected about every connection I could find. Plugs unfortunately look pretty good to my eyes. Still not able to practically test this, so hoping to hit as many possibilities as I can before I trailer the bike somewhere to test it. Coils look nice and clean, though I know that doesn't fully rule them out.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Sure sounds electrical. Disconnecting the quick shifter may be a good idea. If there's a problem with the strain gauge or a chafe in the line it could be causing problems.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Sure sounds electrical. Disconnecting the quick shifter may be a good idea. If there's a problem with the strain gauge or a chafe in the line it could be causing problems.
Yeah, I wished I would have tried disconnecting it at the track that day. Not sure why I didn't.

No obvious chafing or any signs of damage, but the strain gauge would certainly fit the symptoms.

Edit: Found this thread from a few months ago. Not sure if the OP @cdenley had any success with the new module. However, his cutout sounds way smoother (just maybe one missed ignition cycle) than mine does. Leaned over, mine upsets the bike pretty significantly.

quickshifter issues | Triumph 675 Forums

·
Registered
145 Posts
I just saw a video on YouTube from chasing tenths, published May 5 2021.
He had a problem that sounded the same as yours. It ended up that the shift rod on his rearset was too tight and it wouldn't let the quick shifter relax so it was always cutting ignition. Try checking if you have any slack in your shift pedal.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just saw a video on YouTube from chasing tenths, published May 5 2021.
He had a problem that sounded the same as yours. It ended up that the shift rod on his rearset was too tight and it wouldn't let the quick shifter relax so it was always cutting ignition. Try checking if you have any slack in your shift pedal.
Thank you for thinking of me when you saw it. Definitely gives similar sounds and points towards the QS more in my opinion. Seems like I have some play in the shift rod and I haven't adjusted it recently, but I'll check into that further.

·
Registered
30 Posts
If the PO put a Bazzaz on there, I'm betting it's the Scotch Lock connector that Bazzaz supplies for it's power supply, since you say that you haven't screwed around with the TC: https://bazzaz.net/instructions/F1540i.pdf

Solder that connection, instead. I had this same issue with my 06 GSXR w/ Bazzaz and solder solved the issue. On the fuel, the injectors drew too much current than the Scotch connector could supply and it would lurch like in your video. Good luck.

Reactions: mpusch

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If the PO put a Bazzaz on there, I'm betting it's the Scotch Lock connector that Bazzaz supplies for it's power supply, since you say that you haven't screwed around with the TC: https://bazzaz.net/instructions/F1540i.pdf

Solder that connection, instead. I had this same issue with my 06 GSXR w/ Bazzaz and solder solved the issue. On the fuel, the injectors drew too much current than the Scotch connector could supply and it would lurch like in your video. Good luck.
I had noticed that when I first opened things up and thought "that looks sketchy as heck", but when I saw it in the instructions I figured that it's just how it's supposed to be. That is how it is set up.

I took the bike to a local drag strip for a shakedown test and had no problems over 10 runs and 2 hours. Either the problem was fixed by me reconnecting and cleaning a ton of connections, or moving the Bazzaz and wiring around put that Scotchlok connection back into place for now. I will likely be soldering that to remove that variable.

Great suggestion - thank you very much.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts