Triumph 675 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you think the Ohlins suspensions are "generic", think again...

Since I bought my 675 new, I get a year's free subscription to Triumph magazine. In issue #8, page 37, they have an interview with Kenth Ohlin, the founder.

Since I'm on dialup, I'll type this out, instead of a picture of the page.

How long does it take for developments in MotoGP and World Superbikes to find it's way into products riders can buy for their road bikes?

We usually say it takes about 3 years for complete product developments in MotoGP to find it's way to production bikes, but sometimes it's faster than that. We also develop alot of components and small technical improvements of current technology which normally reach the roadbike market every year. Racing is an important part of our R&D and is in the DNA of Ohlins.
The technology used in the Daytona 675R's suspension was used in MotoGP 2 years ago and is still used in Superbikes today.
The front fork, for instance, is still used today in categories such as SuperSport or Superstock, so the technology used for the Daytona 675R is at a very high level, the damping technology comes directly from Superbike.

What makes the Daytona 675R's suspension superior to other suspension units?
The key factor is high technology. The suspension is at cutting edge and it has been tested specifically for the Daytona 675R and is specifically made for that bike. That sets it apart from other units.

So when you buy that 675R, rest assured, your suspension is as good as Superbike, and MotoGP (from 2 years) ago. Not a bad deal for the 675R afterall, huh?

·
Registered
601 Posts
Well he would say that wouldn't he?

He is hardly likely to say something like....
Triumph approached us and asked if we could do front and back suspension for the Daytona for under X amount of dollars.

Of those options, which do you think is most likely?

regards,CrazyCam

·
Registered
412 Posts
Well he would say that wouldn't he?

He is hardly likely to say something like....
Triumph approached us and asked if we could do front and back suspension for the Daytona for under X amount of dollars.

Of those options, which do you think is most likely?

regards,CrazyCam
:thumbup:

Seriously though...saying that the suspension on the 675R is as good as MotoGP or even WSBK is crazy. That's not to say the 675R doesn't come with a better suspension than the standard, but that suspension most definitely isn't at a MotoGP or WSBK level

·
Banned
941 Posts
I'm more intrigued that you're on dial-up. I don't believe I heard that telephone modem sound for almost 15 years now.

·
Registered
6,602 Posts
+1. The forks alone for a MotoGP would cost as much if not twice the amount of a 675R. What you "can" say is that suspension is a byproduct of R&D as a result of MotoGP and WSBK...but then again....racing is the reason for ALL TYPES of technological advancement. It's simple: Racing pushes development and progress.

Its just clever marketing IMO.

·
Registered
373 Posts
The technology used in the Daytona 675R's suspension was used in MotoGP 2 years ago and is still used in Superbikes today.
The front fork, for instance, is still used today in categories such as SuperSport or Superstock, so the technology used for the Daytona 675R is at a very high level, the damping technology comes directly from Superbike.
:thumbup:

Seriously though...saying that the suspension on the 675R is as good as MotoGP or even WSBK is crazy. That's not to say the 675R doesn't come with a better suspension than the standard, but that suspension most definitely isn't at a MotoGP or WSBK level
Thats not what the article said...it said the "technology used" ( def: "The body of knowledge available to a society that is of use in fashioning implements"). That does not mean the actual material used to make said implements.

And secondly he said the front fork was used in SuperSport and SuperStock...not MotoGP or WSBK....none of that is marketing...just engineer-speak so to say. We think technology and begin to think they use the same parts and that just isn't true...it is like the same technology is used to create wheels and tires, but not all wheels and tires are the same 'quality'.....

·
Registered
601 Posts
Thats not what the article said...it said the "technology used" ( def: "The body of knowledge available to a society that is of use in fashioning implements"). That does not mean the actual material used to make said implements.

And secondly he said the front fork was used in SuperSport and SuperStock...not MotoGP or WSBK....none of that is marketing...just engineer-speak so to say. We think technology and begin to think they use the same parts and that just isn't true...it is like the same technology is used to create wheels and tires, but not all wheels and tires are the same 'quality'.....
well thats a backwards way of looking at it though. because the technology that goes into it is the same as in the stock suspension! the only thing different is the quality!

·
Registered
596 Posts
I'm more intrigued that you're on dial-up. I don't believe I heard that telephone modem sound for almost 15 years now.
+1 :biggrinjester:

·
Registered
373 Posts
well thats a backwards way of looking at it though. because the technology that goes into it is the same as in the stock suspension! the only thing different is the quality!
Not really backwards...just a steady progression of technology. If he had said "The technology used in the D675's suspension was used in MotoGP 2 years ago and is still used in Superbikes today.", it would have also been a true statement. Engineering rhetoric is all it is.....still love the 675 family no matter what iteration it is though:thumbup:

·
Registered
601 Posts
no no no you said none of it is marketing. and my point is, while true, the statment that the technology in the r is from moto gp is just as true as "the technology in the triumph daytona 675 standard is from moto gp" by your own technology does not equal quality statement.

·
Registered
373 Posts
If he had said "The technology used in the D675's suspension was used in MotoGP 2 years ago and is still used in Superbikes today.", it would have also been a true statement.
no no no you said none of it is marketing. and my point is, while true, the statment that the technology in the r is from moto gp is just as true as "the technology in the triumph daytona 675 standard is from moto gp" by your own technology does not equal quality statement.
You do realize I wrote this statement basically agreeing with you right??? Notice the lack of a "R" at the end of D675...that was on purpose:thumbup:
And similar technology does NOT equal similar quality...that is an inescapable fact.

·
Registered
577 Posts
What makes the Daytona 675R's suspension superior to other suspension units?
The key factor is high technology. The suspension is at cutting edge and it has been tested specifically for the Daytona 675R and is specifically made for that bike. That sets it apart from other units.

So when you buy that 675R, rest assured, your suspension is as good as Superbike, and MotoGP (from 2 years) ago. Not a bad deal for the 675R afterall, huh?
Boy, that is good marketing lingo!
My interpretation of "has been tested specifically for the Daytona 675R " means that they put the correct spring for that bike into the off the self kit.

This is a Ohlins standard "off the shelf" kit that you can buy for any sportbike, It was not specifically designed for the 675R.

Is it better then stock? Hell yes but I don't think Ohlins and Triumph had this big development colaboration on this project. They went to Ohlins and said give me a kit that will fit the 675.

·
Registered
412 Posts

I'm not sure what you're arguing here. If you're trying to say that certain "technologies used" are the same, then yes, absolutely but that's as broad as saying they all use internal combustion engines and have wheels that go 'round.

Regardless, the only thing I was pointing out is that the OP's last comment of

" So when you buy that 675R, rest assured, your suspension is as good as Superbike, and MotoGP (from 2 years) ago. Not a bad deal for the 675R afterall, huh? "

Is simply incorrect. As others have pointed out, the cost of a MotoGP and/or WSBK suspension is well more than what a D675R would cost in total. If you'd like to debate that, please be more specific outside tossing up obvious definitions and simply saying there's a difference in "quality". I'm willing to bet there's a lot more of a difference outside "quality".

·
Registered
280 Posts
Its salesman ship no doubt, but when you consider it is Ohlins lastest and greatest forks, and the TTX rear shock, its still a kick ass freaking suspension.

·
Registered
288 Posts
For a group of guys/girls that have a passion for the Daytona 675, there sure is a lot of bashing of the "R" on here. Seems the only people that have a positive attitude about the bike are the ones who have put deposits down.

I would have thought you guys would have welcomed this bike.

·
Registered
601 Posts
For a group of guys/girls that have a passion for the Daytona 675, there sure is a lot of bashing of the "R" on here. Seems the only people that have a positive attitude about the bike are the ones who have put deposits down.

first off: umad

second: theres no "bashing" the r going on broski, just clearing up some little confusions.

however, if it were up to me, they would keep all you losers who bout the r on your own damn forum.

·
Registered
412 Posts

I think you might be misunderstanding 'fact checking' with bashing. Yes, it's awesome that there will be a 675 with a fancy Ohlins suspension, at a fair price too! I even think it will be, by far, the best looking 675 I've seen.

That being said, correcting things that are blatantly wrong about (even awesome) bikes is more important than letting things slip just because we happen to like the bike.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I dont find any anger in that post. Only confusion why alot of people try to justify that its not worh 1500 over a base Daytona, which seems quite dumb really.

Would it make you feel better if we get our own R section? :itsok:

1 - 20 of 51 Posts