Triumph675.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, My husband is currently in the process of transfering from the British to the Australian Army, i have searched through the australian customs and the transport websites and found the forms i need to apply to transport both my 675 and my husbands '09 R1 but i cannot find any information on how to calculate the duty i am going to be stung for on arrival. The bikes would be coming over for personal not trade use and we will of owned then for over 12 months proir to deportation so im sure that we are entitiled to import them for personal use.
if anyone can help out with this it would be greatly apprieciated otherwise im going to be having a few late nights and expensive international phone calls!!!!
thanks
Tam

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hi there, My husband is currently in the process of transfering from the British to the Australian Army, i have searched through the australian customs and the transport websites and found the forms i need to apply to transport both my 675 and my husbands '09 R1 but i cannot find any information on how to calculate the duty i am going to be stung for on arrival. The bikes would be coming over for personal not trade use and we will of owned then for over 12 months proir to deportation so im sure that we are entitiled to import them for personal use.
if anyone can help out with this it would be greatly apprieciated otherwise im going to be having a few late nights and expensive international phone calls!!!!
thanks
Tam
i am from uk i just sold mine a got one here i got about the same money and no hassle its a right pain and they are dearer to insure as a import plus you will have to have to pay for inspections.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
do you know where you are being posted to ?

i don't have any answers directly for you , but my brother in law is in the aust army and based where i am

·
Registered
848 Posts
You will go through a lot of hassle to get your bike imported here, it's much easier to sell your one and buy one here. You might want to PM "nathan" since he was planning to do the same.

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
Shipping a bike to australia

Ok, so what I learned:

• no import duty on bikes like cars have to pay, but you do have to pay GST on the purchase price of the bike (you can get it valued, but it will most definitely cost you whatever difference you planned to save in storage/appraisal). Well, it's slightly worse than that: GST on (purchase price + shipping cost which might be plus shipping insurance also.. not 100% on that)
  • Useful website: http://www.customs.gov.au/site/page.cfm?u=4371
  • You need import clearance permit BEFORE you can ship it. It may take a month or two to get that. Talk to:
Vehicle Safety Standards
GPO Box 594
Canberra ACT 2602

Ph: 00612 62747506
Fax: 00612 62746013
vimports (at) dotars.gov.au

• To prove that you were with the bike for 12-18 months or whatever it is you need to document ALL your travels and I think include photocopies of every page of your passport. Would have been a painful thing for me because I travelled every second week with work. Might be painful because you have no stamps if you're EU.
  • Crate can't just be any old thing you've slapped together, it needs to be specially heat treated timber that bears a certain mark.
  • bike needs to be completely spotless or else expect a nice expensive steam cleaning fee (god knows what damage that does to your bike)
  • there are fees going through the docks (handling, processing fees, crate disposal fees etc one guy said about AUD 345 bucks for the port fees, AUD$350 for the customs/quarantine)
  • You'll need to get it certified as road worthy/compliant with Australian design regulations (didn't get to the stage of figuring exactly what that entails). I tried to bypass that with a triumph issued certificate of compliance but got some useless fucking bitch at triumph who probably still hasn't bothered to get it sorted out.
  • Shippers seem rather slack at replying to emails, some you'll just never hear from again.
  • by sea transit time is about 40 days
  • insurance offered varies from 1.5% to 3% of stated value.
  • Some allow "bike related" articles in the crate, some don't. God knows what happens when you hit the docks in sydney (e.g. do you pay GST on 'em?).
End result: I left my bike in the UK,:thumbsup: too bloody hard and not enough time to get the required paperwork (thanks lady from triumph who f*cked me there) I'll go back do some more touring to get a bit more value out of it and then I'll sell it in warmer weather or just keep it for future years.

Unless you're very attached to it and someone else is paying all the fees: it might not be worth the effort because I'm still not sure whether getting your bike certified as compliant means you're just like any other bike or whether you're a "dodgy import" as far as insurance stuff goes (extra $$$ each and every year in insurance). Do what I did and take the accessories off it and bring them back with you instead?

Rough costs to the docks: I had quotes from about 500 pounds (shared container.. wonder if they even tie it down?) to about 700 pounds (dedicated motorcycle shippers or roll on roll off) was about the average quoted to get it "to the docks in sydney".
From there you get stung the other costs (one said you could pre pay "GBP230.00" to do that portion). It was always a bit murkey whether that covered everything.

Flying was about 1500 pounds or thereabouts for the shipping portion.

Crates you might be able to get from a dealership, although might be a bit rare given no one's buying anything in the UK at the moment. I swear the week I left and went into a shop there were tumble weeds blowing around the showrooms and that western guitar "enter the saloon" music as you pushed the door open.

That's all I can think of at the moment.

These guys are the quotes I could find in gmail (so they at least replied once), note I asked from a "I'll drop it at their drop off place and pick up from the docks in sydney":

• www.jamescargobikes.com - helpful staff, bike specialty, come highly recommended and are used by lots of people it seems (I got quotes from 3 different places that all ended up at these guys). Just under 700 pounds surface, 1500 pounds by air. Includes crate.
  • excess-international.com (cheapest quote I got at around 480 pounds). Not bike specialty though, "shared container" was what I quoted. Includes crating.
  • eliteshipping.co.uk (about 700 pounds) That was "pick up" from residence price. Includes crating. Can put other items in the crate.
  • www.autoshippers.co.uk /shipit.co.uk (around 720 pounds) ship from southampton. Roll on-roll off service (so no crate required?).
  • www.frontierforwarding.co.uk - just under 700 to pick up from home, just over 600 to drop at depot. Includes crating. Their website was kinda broken for quotations, had to email.
  • www.tradelanes.com.au very helpful on the aussie end, but let down on the UK end, gave some actual breakdowns of the other costs though. Need to crate yourself.
  • airoceanlogistics.co.uk - very helpful staff. Do air as well, about 770 pounds surface, 1600 odd. Includes crating/packing.
Though this was end of last year and some of them talked about prices going up in the new year. So treat them as VERY rough..

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
crating not so much of a problem as i work at a motorcycle dealership the reason for bringing them with us is the value at the moment when we were looking at motorcycle prices over there they seem very high! cause i work at a dealer we can get my husband a brand new 09 R1 very cheap and get a cert of conformity through yamaha direct. as for triumph well we are friendly with our local triumph dealer an three of our employees used to work for them so have the required connections in the triumph dealer network. I have found all of the application information to get the bikes cleared to port, it mainly the expenses and best port to land in. due to my husbands job its highly likely that we could end at completely the opposite end of the country in Darwin (im going to melt in that heat!) so we would have to take cross country shipping into acount also! we wouldnt be due to come over there until april next year so im just trying to plan for expenses in advance.
this is clearly a option that needs furthur exloration!!!
thankyou for your help so far

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
so far including GST, shipping, cross country shipping (if we end up as feared in Darwin) and shipping approval fees will be roughly £4300 for the pair

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
so far including GST, shipping, cross country shipping (if we end up as feared in Darwin) and shipping approval fees will be roughly £4300 for the pair
Yeah, that's about what I figured it would cost me to get the bike back to oz: 2000 pounds. And then I still have an old bike with the warranty run out and the question mark about insurance..

Brand new 675s are cheaper here.. Never quite figured out how that worked out eh?

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
wont the army help with relocation costs ? . Tzracer6 was in the us army and transfered to the uk. they move his f series truck over

·
Registered
143 Posts
I hope that you wont end up in Darwin otherwise you won't be able to ride your bike as it's freeking too hot over there :p

Even in Sydney it gets too warm sometimes to ride our lovely 675, unless you like to get cooked :p

Good luck :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I will start off by apologizing if this isn't the right location for this post. I tried to search for similar topics, but couldn't find anything for my specific question and then I found this. Was wondering if it's still possible to import bikes now with the world having a pandemic?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts