Triumph 675 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure why this law surfaced. Some politition was driving 10 under the limit and got passed by someone going 20 over I guess. Our bikes will do 30 over the limit in 2nd gear. I love going to track days and that is the place for speed but even when I ride the streets by myself I occasionally get the need, the need for speed! So to sum it up, you speed 30 over (85 on the backroads) you go to jail. Makes the decision to run alot easier for me. See the link below, hope it works.

http://www.chicagonow.com/blogs/spoke-n-word-biking/2010/12/new-year-no-more-leadfoot.html

·
Registered
13 Posts
if you cant do the time, dont do the crime....

·
Premium Member
9,297 Posts
^^ +1.

Good luck with running, when your bike is totaled please sell the parts cheap on the classifieds section. That's if you walk away from it.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Might pay to make your plate a little difficult to read…
Attach it with hinges so it lifts at speed? :whistle:

·
Registered
2008 Triumph Daytona 675
929 Posts
Very similar to a new "street racing" law that came into effect in Ontario. Here are the highlights. Keep in mind that they had decided that street racing occurs any time you are going more than 50 Km/h (30 mph) over the speed limit regardless of the road conditions or traffic. Yes, apparently you can street race alone.

• The maximum fine increases from $1,000 to $10,000 upon conviction for street racing, making it the highest penalty in Canada. The minimum fine increases from $200 to $2,000.
  • Police can issue an immediate seven-day driver's licence suspension and seven-day vehicle impoundment for street racing, participating in a driving contest or stunt driving.
  • Courts can impose a driver licence suspension of up to 10 years for a second conviction, if the second conviction occurs within 10 years of the first. For a first conviction, the maximum licence suspension period remains at 2 years.
  • The definition of a "driving stunt" includes driving a motor vehicle at 50 km/h or more above the posted speed limit.
Good thing there is a track near me. What is worse, highway traffic regularly flows at 10-20 km/h over the posted speed limit on a regular basis.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Not sure why this law surfaced.
I'm going to guess it's because there is a direct correlation between excessive speeding on the streets and fatal accidents. Not sure if you guys picked up on that yet. Keep in mind that these laws apply to cagers as well. You definitely don't want them going 30+ over on the streets.

Just face the facts... we will always be at odds with the speed limit.

·
Registered
601 Posts
I'm going to guess it's because there is a direct correlation between excessive speeding on the streets and fatal accidents. Not sure if you guys picked up on that yet. Keep in mind that these laws apply to cagers as well. You definitely don't want them going 30+ over on the streets.

Just face the facts... we will always be at odds with the speed limit.
direct correlation...wat?

speed limits are more to regulate traffic and make it seem safer for motorists. heres some reading about fatalities on unregulated roads

http://www.motorists.org/speed-limits/safety-setting-limits#CONCLUSION

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
Not sure why this law surfaced. Some politition was driving 10 under the limit and got passed by someone going 20 over I guess. Our bikes will do 30 over the limit in 2nd gear. I love going to track days and that is the place for speed but even when I ride the streets by myself I occasionally get the need, the need for speed! So to sum it up, you speed 30 over (85 on the backroads) you go to jail. Makes the decision to run alot easier for me. See the link below, hope it works.

http://www.chicagonow.com/blogs/spoke-n-word-biking/2010/12/new-year-no-more-leadfoot.html
Don't be a fucktard and you don't go to jail. Not that hard.

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
AZ has a criminal speeding law. If you go 20 MPH over the posted speed limit or are going over 85MPH (85 is the MAXIMUM speed allowed on a road but no speed limits are above 75 in AZ) you can go to jail. Most of the time the LEO do not want to deal with the excess of paperwork and write you a ticket for just under 20 mph over the limit so you pay the maximum but don't go to jail.

·
Registered
4,464 Posts
AZ has a criminal speeding law. If you go 20 MPH over the posted speed limit or are going over 85MPH (85 is the MAXIMUM speed allowed on a road but no speed limits are above 75 in AZ) you can go to jail. Most of the time the LEO do not want to deal with the excess of paperwork and write you a ticket for just under 20 mph over the limit so you pay the maximum but don't go to jail.
Yeah, in '04 I was here for temp duty and coming back from Vegas for the weekend. I was on the US60 and was stuck behind a motorcade of cars that was being led by a mobile home. They were about 15 below the speed limit but no one wanted to pass. I was about the 13th car back and was getting frustrated. So I gunned it and passed them all (in a rental car)! After I passed the lead vehicle I came off the gas, no brake applied and started to slow down. I ended up passing a State Trooper and he flipped a bitch and chased me down. I didn't go far, no running for me, and he gave me a ticket. He said he had me at 89 in a 65. By law I could have gone to jail but he didn't want to deal with the paperwork and he "let me off easy" by handing me a ticket for $200 plus! As the snake of cars went by us I tried to explain to him why I was going that fast. I think his radar gun was off because I know I wasn't going faster than 80. He also offered me traffic school so it wouldn't be in my record but I was heading back overseas for 3 more years so I wasn't worried about it. Payed my outlandish ticket and went on my way.

·
Registered
832 Posts
direct correlation...wat?

speed limits are more to regulate traffic and make it seem safer for motorists. heres some reading about fatalities on unregulated roads

http://www.motorists.org/speed-limits/safety-setting-limits#CONCLUSION
I'm not going to bother reading any of that. I never said anything about the speed limit because you can argue all day on what that "limit" should be. It's the excessive speeding over the rest of street traffic that is unnecessary. Share the road.

·
Registered
5,207 Posts
Unregulated roads are fine and dandy, but if it is unregulated, and you are going 30+ MPH faster than the flow of traffic you are taking an enourmous risk. You can still drive recklessly even if there is no speed limit...

·
Registered
3,464 Posts
Nothing new hear..You'll see a lot of new super speeder laws popping up--Great way to generate more $$$ during our shitty economic times and it makes the fucktard politicians think that they are actually doing something to make the roads safer (they are not). The arrest part is nothing new--You can already be jailed for Reckless Driving if the cop feels like it.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I always enjoy people thinking you can't get away on a bike. :biggrinjester:
Granted, I've only been pulled over once on my bike. (nearly lost my license and had to do traffic school in my car) Doing about 15 over in a canyon, nothing "outrageous." My buddy and I rolled into the dirt around the next switchback, and as the patrolman got out of the car, he said "you boys got lucky and found the one cop in the state who automatically writes a warning if you stop. I don't care how fast you were going, I'm not gonna chase a bike on these roads."

So that taught me two things:
1. I'll probably stop away right away next time also. (I believe the "don't speed if you can't pay the ticket" line of thinking.)
2. other people know this, and will continue to just speed on ahead if it's twisty and you have the jump on a police car.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
ehh its not mandatory jailtime.. thats a worst case scenario.

Our paper in Peoria blew it out of proportion as well..

the main point is that you do not qualify for court supervision if your caught going 30+ or more regardless of your lawyer, and they are going to be ALOT more selective about who gets court supervision..it will be based off of your record as well. Also fines have been raised by alot.

this is per my lawyer aka sister's hubby

·
Registered
51 Posts
Here, you can get an immediate roadside bike impoundment for going 40 km/h over the limit. Same for any " stunting " which, BTW, includes dangerous offences such as "getting too close to a stationary object", standing up on your pegs, you wheel losing traction with the road (any wheely, no matter how minute).

Cops can impound your bike for a visual speed estimate. They need not have a radar gun.

It'll be interesting to see how many more police chases we'll have next summer. I bet a lot of bikers won't even consider stopping with laws like that.

Oh, and if you challenge this crap in court, even if the officer doesn't show for trial or is shown to be wrong you still lose your vehicle for at least a week and have to pay all the impounment/storage fees.
Your money will not be refunded, you simply won't have to pay any extra fines for speeding if your ticket is voided.

So currently the cops are also judge and jury. So much for due process.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts