Triumph 675 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I think I totaled my D675 while driving on state route 86 in SoCal I was behind a truck and it ran over a piece of tire and tossed it to me it hit me and I lost control of the bike. The Guy never saw me :cuss: luckily I was wearing all my leathers so all I had was some bruising. I also didn't file a police report cause the guy never stopped n I couldn't chase him down. So I reported it to my insurance (State Farm) I took my bike to get an estimate on the damage at my local Triumph dealer and the repair price including labor is $10, 334.52 I paid $6,400 cash on my bike the mileage on it is 6,516. Basically all the damage is on the left side, part of the front and the steering stop broke on the bike. Does anyone know how the insurance determines the pay off for bikes or can anyone give me n idea of how much I might get back. Thank you in advance and everyone have a great day!!

·
Registered
975 Posts
Wow, that sucks. Glad to hear you are ok.

And yes, it sounds like the bike is totaled. Your insurer will send someone to inspect the damage and make an estimate for repairs. If it's more than the FMV of the bike, I think they will write you a check for the FMV.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Sorry to hear that but again glad you are okay. It's definitely totaled.

Sooooo, before the insurance company comes and claims it would you mind snatching your R/R off it and sending it my way?...:whistle:

I'm serious.

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
man, good thing you had gear on. this is why i always wear full gear. its random things like this that remind you anything can happen. congrats on being geared up and saving yourself from further damage.

very sorry to hear about the bike though. you probably should have got a police report anyway. its always good to have that for insurance. they will most likely total the bike.

now, are there any aftermarket parts still good? ill trade you some stock parts to replace anything aftermarket thats still good. :whistle: just sayin.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Similar situation happened to me many years ago. I was on the highway in my cage, friend was following me in his cage. I ran over chunk of tire (didn't see it until too late) and it flew up and hit my friend's windshield right in the middle. Watched it in my rearview. If he was on a bike he would have gotten knocked clean off.

Sorry to hear about your accident, but it's good that you're okay. I'm seeing the value of investing in some good leathers. Good luck with your insurance.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Those re-tread tire shreds are some nasty s**t. I almost ran over one...when I stopped to throw it to the side to the side of the road, almost cut my hand on the all the sharp bits of belt poking out of it.

Scary situation and could have been much worse... glad you're alright. I wonder if truck driver's insurance or police would have done anything, unless you could show that it was his tire that shredded; otherwise, all he did was run over a hazard already in the road, if I understand correctly.

That sucks though, good luck getting it back together.

·
Registered
8,110 Posts
My State Farm Adjuster told me they total a bike when the repair cost exceed 45% of the value. I don't know if this figure varies from State to State or what. You probably should have got a Police report - for nothing else to satisfy the insurance company to prove it was not your fault. Good luck and glad to hear you are OK.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
buy the bike back from the insurance. you get first dibs on it so you get to keep it with a clean titile. probably part it out and make some money in the process or try to fix it yourself on the cheap.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Title won't be clean, it will likely be a salvage title (or something along those lines). It varies from state to state whether a salvage vehicle can be repaired and reregistered to be on the road. If the dealer quoted $10k +, I can't imagine there being enough left of the bike to even think about repairing.

·
Registered
6,602 Posts
If you want to prevent it from being totalled, have the shop fax or get a copy of the repair order to see each individual part's cost. Find out the ones you don't need to reduce the total cost for repairs.

If they include a frame, rear subframe, and swingarm in the estimates...those usually really drive up the price. If they are on there because the of just a scratch, then tell them to remove it.

This is what I did to prevent the insurance company from totalling out my Daytona years ago.

·
Registered
31 Posts
That sucks, but i'm glad to hear that you're ok. I had similar situation last season, driver (woman, in fact:biggrinjester:) run front on me, hit her breaks, turn left and never mention that I slide me bike to avoid crash into her. There was no problem with insurance but i had to go with my ac pack.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
well i cant say anything for states other than jersey but yes im sure. i did it with my bike when some lady knocked it over and the rear brake lever put a little dent in my frame. since it was frame damage the bike got totaled. i paid them what the salvage value was and never even sent in the title. still riding the bike with no problems. im sure it would show up on carfax but my title is still clean.

·
Registered
665 Posts
shit man..that would be scary as hell..riding along, then a piece of a tyre comes flying at you...
what went through your mind when you saw it coming at you?

·
Registered
311 Posts
if it were my bike, and it had that much damage, i'd definitely take the payoff and get something new. I just dont' think i'd trust the bike not having a weird problem that i couldnt detect with my eyes (bent frame or something)

that's just me though

1 - 20 of 63 Posts