Triumph 675 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I did that thing on the track where you go into the grass and your bike does a barrel roll. The bike appears to have faired pretty well with only a broken front sub-frame and bent brake lever. I would like to try and start the engine but I am thinking I should pull the plugs and either let it turn over with the starter or roll the rear tire with it in gear to make sure it’s ok before I start it. Any other suggestions on what I need to check before starting it?

I am sure there are other things I am going to find broken, I haven’t taken the body work off yet but it looks like the front wheel may not be sitting straight. Hoping my forks are not bent. If anyone has a stock Brembo brake lever, brake fluid reservoir and front subframe they want to sell, let me know.

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
Make sure no sand/dirt has made it's way into the airbox. Also check that no oil has made it's way up the crankcase vent and into the throttle bodies.
Your forks might just be twisted. Loosen the bolts that hold the forks in the triple clamp and then tighten them up to the correct torque spec.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I found this video interesting. I'd never realized how much tension can be stored in the bike after a crash.

I low sided a couple weeks ago and ended up kicking the rear tire off the bead in one 6"spot. I didn't think it was possible to do that with a gentle get off but it must have caught the curbing just right. Good luck with the diagnosis, hopefully it ends up being a harder hit to the pride then the wallet.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This is all good advice and I appreciate it. Last night I took off the air box and it looks like there was a small amount of oil sitting mostly on the throttle bodies. If that is really bad, let me know otherwise I will just clean it off.

I took the spark plugs out, put the bike in gear and attempted to push the bike while it was in gear. It didn’t budge. Any of the older bikes I have had would have turned over the engine no problem without spark plugs. Is there something different about this bike or engine that would prevent that?

I took out the spark plugs and they looked clean. There was no oil on them even though the bike sat on its side for about 10 minutes. My boroscope is apparently broken so I had no option of looking into the cylinders. I decided to hit the starter to see if it turned over and it did without any alarming noises (spark plugs still removed).

Lastly, when I took the bike off the stand and tried pushing it in gear with the clutch pulled, it moved but was very difficult which is not normal for this bike. I didn’t see any obvious signs of damage to the clutch cable or adjustment but there was a big enough impact on the left side to rip off the protective engine cover.

Attachments

·
Registered
583 Posts
Did you check to see that both wheels move freely in addition to trying to push the bike around while in gear? If not, maybe it's a brake issue that's making it hard to move around.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Did you check to see that both wheels move freely in addition to trying to push the bike around while in gear? If not, maybe it's a brake issue that's making it hard to move around.
Yes and when the bike is in neutral, it pushes around fine.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
In case anyone is curious, I put an endoscope down into the cylinders last night and found no damage. I checked the oil for glitter and that looked good as well. Started it up and it ran although it seemed to hesitate a bit on throttle and stayed at a high RPM after I let go of the throttle. I am going to inspect the cable for damage and see what I find.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts