Triumph 675 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, so I know you can order a fuel cap on BikeBandit and whatnot, but if you have it, how do you get it so that the fuel cap is opened by your existing key?

Basically: I know almost nothing about keys and google wasn't helpful. Fuckin keys, how do they work?

·
Registered
631 Posts
Drop off your key and the cap to a locksmith, their not like magnets…
Easy job (for them) you strip the tumblers out of the lock and match the right length with the valleys and peaks of the key.
In essence, you make the key, and THEN the lock…
First pillage, then burn…

·
Super Moderator
11,896 Posts
I don't believe there is anyway to remove the lock barrel from the fuel cap without destroying the fuel cap.

To answer the original question you have to go to a Triumph dealer and order the fuel cap and you need your key code which cam on a tag with your keys when you got your bike. They will then ship a fuel cap keyed to your key but it will take several weeks.

·
Registered
7,848 Posts
I don't believe there is anyway to remove the lock barrel from the fuel cap without destroying the fuel cap.
No but you can take out the whole part that flips open if you just remove the pin from the hinge and swap it out. That's how I swapped my 06 to 09 with different bolt patterns. OP is AWOL though so I guess we'll never know...

·
Registered
4,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Interesting... Honestly my main reason is that I was thinking about the idea of adapting the fuel cap mechanism into a locking rear seat, but seems like it'd be a combo of expensive and too much trouble, haha. I might consider it for the challenge though... Thanks for the help guys!

·
Registered
4,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, I read your post about that and think its actually the nicest quick release solution thus far. I don't actually need it to be easily removable to begin with, but it was just a thought that came to mind as a possibility.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Wanna get tricky?
Get a seat/tank lock for a Gilera DNA and have it re keyed for your Triumph key.
This little unit will turn both ways, so turn it one way for the seat, and the other for the pillion seat.
(There will be others, but this is the one I know of.)
You will need another seat release unit and some cable.
Pull off the pillion seat, where the bolt goes through you will need to put the same sort of plunger that is on the bottom of the rider's seat.
This may require removing the subframe…
Where the rivet nut is, drill that out and mount the other seat release unit so the plunger can locate and lock.
Run the cable.
Now when you turn it to the right the seat pops off, and when you turn it to the left the pillion seat pops off!

Drop into a bike dismantler, one stop shopping for the matching plunger and lock with a little cable too.
And if you can find a two way lock that fits the triumph key shape it'll be half the battle for the locksmith.

So easy!
I might have to do it too…

·
Premium Member
9,297 Posts
What about the keyless gas caps? Then there is no need to go through all the trouble.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts