Triumph 675 Forums banner

241 - 246 of 246 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
You can get the outer fork tube off without having to remove the cartridge.

A stick, ruler, whatever is fine as long as you can accurately see where it gets wet.

A PVC pipe might not have enough heft to slam the oil seal home. You need to make sure it's exactly the correct diameter. The easiest way to get a seal in is to heat the fork tube up with a propane torch for 30 seconds or so, then the seal should press in just about barehanded. Help from a slightly smaller-diameter washer or PVC pipe should get the job done.

Thanks for the advice. I just ordered everything to do the job. I am thinking of trying to get it in with electrical tape as shown on a youtube video and might try to do the heatup method as well. I went to a hardware store and bought a bracket I can screw to the garage wall and will use to 5/16" bolts and a floor jack to compress the spring. I did try to clean out the seal with a plastic tool but still leaks a bit. Thanks for the ideas and advice.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just finished, it was easier than I imagined. I did have to go buy a 17mm Allen for the front axle. heating the tube made it so easy. just used finger to pop out and pop in the seal. After a short ride no leak. will test on longer ride. I bought the seals off Ebay and im a bit worried cuz they were cheap. main seal fit well but dust seal did not fit snug in outer diameter so I used some teflon tape to have it stay in the outer tube. Thanks for the advice all and OP thanks for all the pictures and explanations really helped.

·
Registered
7,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #243
I could've told you to stay away from cheap seals but oh well, hope they last long for you. FYI you can reuse the old dust seal no problem. As its name suggests, it's just a dust seal...

·
Registered
5 Posts
I could've told you to stay away from cheap seals but oh well, hope they last long for you. FYI you can reuse the old dust seal no problem. As its name suggests, it's just a dust seal...
I will post if they leak any time soon. I thought about reusing them but the Dust seals were pretty cracked.

241 - 246 of 246 Posts