Triumph 675 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, new '12 675 R owner here. I dropped it and broke the bar end mirrors (aftermarket, not OEM) and now I want to put in proper bar ends. However I'm stuck - how do I get this core out? I've tried putting the bolt back in, screwing it half way then tapping with a hammer - nothing. All help is appreciated.

Tire Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motorcycle Hood

· Registered
109 Posts
Oh my god I feel your pain! There is a clip about a third the way up which you need to depress to remove it. As far as I remember you can't save the grip, ie you need to cut it.

From the Haynes manual:

Remove the handlebar end-weights (see illustration) . Slide the throttle twistgrip off the right-hand bar. Either slit open the left grip using a sharp blade and peel it off the bar or work a small screwdriver between the grip and the bar and spray some aerosol lubricant into the gap (take care to shield your eyes). On Daytona models, if required release the clip securing the internal weight in each handlebar using suitable pliers, then withdraw the weight with its rubber dampers; a new clip must be fitted.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Ah shit, is that the OEM core? I thought it was aftermarket/non-Triumph given the bar end mirrors attached to it were definitely not from the factory. Every video I've seen - the bars are empty - just a thread there.

If I keep the core, what are my options with bar ends?

· Registered
284 Posts
That doesn't look like the OEM one, which has the clip. The clip can be hard to depress to remove. But it can be mangled/destroyed allowing the assembly to come out.

This looks like someone pounded bungs into the handlebar end for the mirrors.

First I'd put a bolt in there and try to pull/wiggle it out. It helps if it's cold (i.e. shoot compressed air on it from a can, that will shrink it). I'm about 50/50 getting these things out.

· Registered
109 Posts
Ah shit, is that the OEM core? I thought it was aftermarket/non-Triumph given the bar end mirrors attached to it were definitely not from the factory. Every video I've seen - the bars are empty - just a thread there.

If I keep the core, what are my options with bar ends?
Hmm I realized that you're on a streety, not Daytona. The manual quote above refers to both so I'd assume that is correct, but someone else can chime in.
Just took a pic of the OEM clip on which shows the holes.
Bicycle fork Tool Bicycle part Office supplies Rim

· Registered
931 Posts
Yes, but my guess is that it's glued/loctited in there. Thread a long bolt in so there's a lot of it sticking out. Head the end of the clipon with a torch, then use a chisel against the underside of the bolt head to hammer it out. If that doesn't work, drill away.

Reactions: jollyrog3r88
1 - 9 of 9 Posts