Triumph 675 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I didn't feel like ( A.K.A. too poor) buying a FE kit so I decided to make my own.. Sometime in the near future I'll be installing some LED bolts to make it "legal". It should be pretty easy to route the wire up through the battery box. Happy with the results for the time and money invested in it. Now, if only my riding skills were on par with my Microsoft Paint skills...:rofl:

·
Registered
851 Posts
Make sure to double check your state laws. Certain states have laws about how far the license plate can be from the rear of the bike.

I made a similar bracket and mounted my plate near the passenger footpegs. It was legal at the time. Florida changed the law and I got a ticket for it shortly thereafter. By a bike cop of all people.

The reason why they changed the law (at least here in Florida) was because the red light cameras and toll booth cameras can't see the plate hidden underneath the tail.

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
Make sure to double check your state laws. Certain states have laws about how far the license plate can be from the rear of the bike.

I made a similar bracket and mounted my plate near the passenger footpegs. It was legal at the time. Florida changed the law and I got a ticket for it shortly thereafter. By a bike cop of all people.

The reason why they changed the law (at least here in Florida) was because the red light cameras and toll booth cameras can't see the plate hidden underneath the tail.
well that's the point isnt it :grin:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

No toll booths or red light cameras in Nevada :thumbup:! I just checked up on the laws here, I should be good to go. While reading though, I did notice that it didn't say that the plate had to be illuminated at night. That should save me a few bucks and some wiring headaches. I was nervous about routing the wires so close to the exhaust. Good looking out though, I actually learned a few things after following up on your comment. (looks like I'll be slapping a reflector on there here soon)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
One of my buddies out in So. Cal just got busted for putting his foot over his swingarm mounted plate while going through a red light camera... From the sound of it, looks like they're going to throw the book at him.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Twenty bucks on eBay

It lays vertical unlike yours at an angle
Link?

and how do the rear blinkers come off? Is there a way to wire blinkers into the rear brake light?

I'm new to this....

·
Registered
344 Posts

·
Noob Hazer
12,385 Posts

All 50 states in the US have a plate law, so those are never legal in this country to my knowledge.

·
Noob Hazer
12,385 Posts
Interesting, most states I have looked up state it has to be behind the rear wheel. Missouri cops never gave me any hassle, but everytime I went on the Kansas side to go to work, it was like they were waiting for me, got tired of it so just got the evotech. Looks good and have not had any hassle for the fatties they call cops over in Kansas

·
Noob Hazer
12,385 Posts
Your state just seems to state it must be clearly visible and at least 12 inches from the ground to the bottom of the plate. Interesting since they do not define clearly visible, that can cause several issues typically.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Your state just seems to state it must be clearly visible and at least 12 inches from the ground to the bottom of the plate. Interesting since they do not define clearly visible, that can cause several issues typically.
Well that particular Fe is visible completely. I ride by a police station everyday before work and no problems

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Noob Hazer
12,385 Posts
Yeah that is what I am saying, since they do not define visible, it is basically up to the judge in the end, most states write out an entire meaning of visible so when someone breaks it, but claims it is visible they can snatch them.

But from my experience in those border states cops are typically more worried about actual violence than what someones car or bike looks like, it is why I love New Mexico, roads are amazing smooth, and cops are actual cops. Where around here they get bored and feel the need to pull everyone over for the dumbest of shit.

·
Registered
136 Posts
i spent about four dollars on mine at home depot! never had any problems with police and you can barely see the plate if youre standing behind it

·
Registered
56 Posts
i spent about four dollars on mine at home depot! never had any problems with police and you can barely see the plate if youre standing behind it
lol thats the way to go, comp werkes got me for $95 just so it would mount up to the exhaust I got from them.....

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
I made my own as well with some scrap steel. Here in Texas the law states the plate must be visible from the rear. We have a high squid population, so as long as you have insurance, inspection, a license, and the bike isint stolen you are usually good to go.

I just relocated the stock turn signals, used LED bulbs and a cheapo LED light to shine on the plate...again, appearing legal is good :cool:
You can barely see the plate between the rear peg brackets, and its out of sight of the toll booth cameras.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts