Triumph 675 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the recent outbreak of gun related threads it got me thinking. When I carry on the bike I usually just put the gun in the tankbag in the holster because it is uncomfortable on my belt. Anybody actually wearing a holster concealed when they ride? I was thinking a small of the back holster would be good for riding. I hate them during normal circumstances, but not leaning up against a car seat they would probably be ideal. Otherwise, a shoulder holster maybe?

Discuss...

·
Chiperator
5,539 Posts
I porked up a bit in the last year and didn't fit my A'Stars pants so wore jeans the few times I actually rode., that meant I wore my IWB Crossbreed w/G23 while riding a few times. Was thinking it wasn't the wisest way to carry on a bike and am trying to explore other options myself.
A tank bag might be a better option just because I would hate to come off the bike and land on the damn thing, I don't fear it discharging but more how much damage the slide could do slammed between my bones and asphalt.
A Galco shoulder rig might be nice but again, that could really f' up my ribs if I crash.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Having never worn a gun in my life…
Wouldn't want to have an "off" with it strapped to you.
Not so much it discharging, more doing damage to you if you landed on it.
Be just as accessible in the tank bag? Or would it be worn over the leathers?
And would gloves make using it or drawing it difficult?
I could write everything I know about guns on the back of a postage stamp, but these would be my concerns.
Must type faster! ^^^ same concerns.

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I porked up a bit in the last year and didn't fit my A'Stars pants so wore jeans the few times I actually rode., that meant I wore my IWB Crossbreed w/G23 while riding a few times. Was thinking it wasn't the wisest way to carry on a bike and am trying to explore other options myself.
A tank bag might be a better option just because I would hate to come off the bike and land on the damn thing, I don't fear it discharging but more how much damage the slide could do slammed between my bones and asphalt.
A Galco shoulder rig might be nice but again, that could really f' up my ribs if I crash.
Having never worn a gun in my life…
Wouldn't want to have an "off" with it strapped to you.
Not so much it discharging, more doing damage to you if you landed on it.
Be just as accessible in the tank bag? Or would it be worn over the leathers?
And would gloves make using it or drawing it difficult?
I could write everything I know about guns on the back of a postage stamp, but these would be my concerns.
Must type faster! ^^^ same concerns.
That's actually a good point. I never thought of it that way, I guess I always figure if I have a bad enough off then the last thing on my mind is the gun doing damage to me. That being said, I've heard some great things about those Crossbreed holsters and have been considering one for my Glock 36.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Right, one of the reasons I get on here is the problems that get put out there for others to solve, keeps me awake while I wait for the phone to ring so I can solve others problems…
If you are wearing a holster you obviously want it on the outside of your leathers for quick and easy accesses.
The major problem is if you bin it, it has the possibility of digging in and hurting you.
So, you can ether have breakaway clips that will allow the holster to detach on impact.
Problem: the loss of the firearm in an accident.
Or, hard armour under the holster that will prevent the gun digging in to you and spreads the load of the impact over a larger surface.
Problem: Restriction of movement.
The sneaky solution…
As you are in the LEO group, you will have some contacts, or be able to contact people in the Kevlar vest trade.
Let them know what you're up to, and see if they can get you some of the impregnated Kevlar that hardens on impact.
You'll need a foot square at least, or better yet two and double them up.
This should be placed in a pocket on the inside of your leathers where the gun holster is centred.
You have freedom of movement and impact protection while helping the advancement of flexible armour in day to day applications.
Well, that's how I'd sell it to them.

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Right, one of the reasons I get on here is the problems that get put out there for others to solve, keeps me awake while I wait for the phone to ring so I can solve others problems…
If you are wearing a holster you obviously want it on the outside of your leathers for quick and easy accesses.
The major problem is if you bin it, it has the possibility of digging in and hurting you.
So, you can ether have breakaway clips that will allow the holster to detach on impact.
Or, hard armour under the holster that will prevent the gun digging in to you and spreads the load of the impact over a larger surface.
The sneaky solution…
As you are in the LEO group, you will have some contacts, or be able to contact people in the Kevlar vest trade.
Let them know what you're up to, and see if they can get you some of the impregnated Kevlar that hardens on impact.
This should be placed in a pocket on the inside of your leathers where the gun holster is centred.
You have freedom of movement and impact protection while helping the advancement of flexible armour in day to day applications.
Not a bad idea there, some of the pocket pistols (i.e. Kel-Tec P32) will fit in a pocket holster. Basically a holster designed to fit in the front pocket of most trousers and will keep the gun upright for easy access and keeps the trigger covered for safe extraction in a pinch. Obviously not practical with larger frame weapons, but the idea would work if you integrated it into a cargo pocket or an inner pocket within your riding jacket. Don't forget, not all of us possess the physique to wear a skin-tight leather suit. :laugh: Cordura for me :whistle:

·
BOTM Marshall
3,511 Posts
The sneaky solution…
Like this?
[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiq2Hxl5zx4"]YouTube - xion protective gear - stuntpadding Demo[/nomedia]

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Funny you should ask, was just thinking about this the other day. I have a longer commute to work now and am going to use the bike to save on gas. I am looking to skip a holster altogether while riding and use a Maxpedition gearslinger bag. Great bags that can swing around and have a concealed carry pouch with easy access. Carry my computer and other crap along with easy to get to weapon if I have to(which of course i hope I never have to).

http://www.maxpedition.com/store/pc/Kodiak-Gearslinger-2p938.htm

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Funny you should ask, was just thinking about this the other day. I have a longer commute to work now and am going to use the bike to save on gas. I am looking to skip a holster altogether while riding and use a Maxpedition gearslinger bag. Great bags that can swing around and have a concealed carry pouch with easy access. Carry my computer and other crap along with easy to get to weapon if I have to(which of course i hope I never have to).

I like...it's like an extreme messenger bag :thumbup:

·
Chiperator
5,539 Posts

I like that. Wonder if the PALS webbing is the same dimensions as MOLLE?

Made me think of Billy. :coolgleamA:

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YoV2Bp_c7aI"]YouTube - Impact Gel[/nomedia]

·
Registered
5,462 Posts
If Dainese is keeping an eye on the American market, I reckon just bide your time.

In a little while you can bet they'll release a new combined back protector/gun holster.

O.B

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
I like that. Wonder if the PALS webbing is the same dimensions as MOLLE?

Should be. Think the dimensions are the same(1inch strips separated by 1inch gap). From what I understand, the terms mean generally the same thing. Think MOLLE is more of an Army term. Could be wrong though. I was still using ALICE style when I got out years ago.

Maybe some current military guys could clarify.

·
Registered
70 Posts
From everything I have seen and all of my experience with there bags, it is the same.

I carry using my crossbreed holster for my Glock 27 most of the time on the bike. Every now and then I will break out my belly band, but I think it's time to move up to a little bit bigger size since I have been eating better and working out. I have gained a little weight. I ride wearing kevlar lined blue jeans though. I've never worn leathers, so take that into consideration. I've thought about how it will feel if I go down, but I have decided that I will cross that bridge when I get to it. If you do carry in a tank bag, make sure that you never forget it when you walk into a store or anything. Also, check your local laws and make sure that it is legal to conceal that way. I have heard of some areas requiring that the gun be on your person to legally carry concealed.

John

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
You can think of MOLLE as a proprietary and compatible PALS, AFAIK.

Used to carry my AUG / AK /disassembled sniper rifle in a guitar bag on the Daytona, but I guess that's not exactly what you're looking for :p

·
Banned
365 Posts
You can think of MOLLE as a proprietary and compatible PALS, AFAIK.

Used to carry my AUG / AK /disassembled sniper rifle in a guitar bag on the Daytona, but I guess that's not exactly what you're looking for :p
seeing as your into airsoft, im gonna guess that was a joke.
Dianese is making a back protector gun holster....right.
Seriously is their some big connection im missing with guns and bikes. Is it a small penis thing, is it so you can shoot sum1 trys to take your bike from you, is it so you can blow your head off if your a torso lying in a gully after a really bad accident? I mean WTF am i missing?
tell me it's not so you look like a badass who can draw at any time.

What kind of cop r u doubleN? why would you be in full leathers sporting a gun holster.

Tell me the connection and i will shutup?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts