Triumph 675 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So while parked outside my work, parallel to the building, my bike was hit by a car either pulling in, or backing out (in drive). It smashed mine against the wall and through a glass window and totaled an SV650 right in front of me (bend frame, pancaked exhaust, etc.).

My bike suffered less damage, the mirror and grips, and controls were cut up by the glass badly, front blinker was shattered, headlights are bent, and a large dent was smashed into the tank by the corner of the bricks (seems very expensive).

The car fled the scene, but was located parked around the block based on the unique color of paint transfer, matching fresh damage to the front of it, and still warm engine from the collision just happening.

I left a note stating that witnesses saw a car matching it's description (bluff to get a confession), and the matching evidence (paint transfer, damage in the right places, proximity, timeframe). I stated that their license plate and all evidence has been documented and a police report has been filed, and to please call me to discuss.

I got a phone call about 40 mins later from California Highway Patrol saying that the van belonged to a woman who worked at the front desk of their office around the corner and was calling on her behalf (obviously trying to intimidate me). To summarize the phone call, saying "Well it looks like it's a he said/she said situation", implying they were going to deny it happened, but basically admitting it was her based on the stance taken.

I've never been involved in something like this and was wondering if anyone can offer any advice to help getting the bike repaired, or what I should expect. I have good coverage from State Farm. Do you think the police will pursue this based on the evidence, or the insurance company (State Farm)? Do you think I'll have to pay the ($500) deductible even though it was a hit and run?

State Farm said an agent will contact me within 24-48 hour and the police report has been filed. I'd just like to be prepared with a strategy that will get the bike fixed and not put my foot in my mouth in any way, even though I didn't do anything wrong.

P.S. What's wrong with people these days!?

·
Registered
6,602 Posts
So while parked outside my work, parallel to the building, my bike was hit by a car either pulling in, or backing out (in drive). It smashed mine against the wall and through a glass window and totaled an SV650 right in front of me (bend frame, pancaked exhaust, etc.).

My bike suffered less damage, the mirror and grips, and controls were cut up by the glass badly, front blinker was shattered, headlights are bent, and a large dent was smashed into the tank by the corner of the bricks (seems very expensive).

The car fled the scene, but was located parked around the block based on the unique color of paint transfer, matching fresh damage to the front of it, and still warm engine from the collision just happening.

I left a note stating that witnesses saw a car matching it's description (bluff to get a confession), and the matching evidence (paint transfer, damage in the right places, proximity, timeframe). I stated that their license plate and all evidence has been documented and a police report has been filed, and to please call me to discuss.

I got a phone call about 40 mins later from California Highway Patrol saying that the van belonged to a woman who worked at the front desk of their office around the corner and was calling on her behalf (obviously trying to intimidate me). To summarize the phone call, saying "Well it looks like it's a he said/she said situation", implying they were going to deny it happened, but basically admitting it was her based on the stance taken.

I've never been involved in something like this and was wondering if anyone can offer any advice to help getting the bike repaired, or what I should expect. I have good coverage from State Farm. Do you think the police will pursue this based on the evidence, or the insurance company (State Farm)? Do you think I'll have to pay the ($500) deductible even though it was a hit and run?

State Farm said an agent will contact me within 24-48 hour. I'd just like to be prepared with a strategy that will get the bike fixed and not put my foot in my mouth in any way, even though I didn't do anything wrong.

P.S. What's wrong with people these days!?
Did you happen to take pictures of the paint transfer from the other car and the scene of the accident that can clearly show the color of both the SV650 and your bike? That will probably be the deciding factor whether you win or not. (good to use your cellphone's camera capability)

·
Registered
6,602 Posts
Not sure if you did this already but file a claim with your insurance company and tell them you have picture proof of it being a hit and run. Also file a police report too.

As for the eye witness part, that may break your case if they try or ask for their contact information.

Do you know if there are security cameras around the scene of the accident, it may further help your case.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have all the circumstantial evidence locked down. I don't have a witness who actually saw it happen. As stated earlier, that was left in the note as a bluff in the hopes of just getting a confession. There were no cameras in the area.

I'm just hoping anyone can shed some light on what I can most likely expect in regards to everything I've shared or any further action that would be helpful.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Sorry for your misfortune. Just file the police report and and insurance claim.

If you have feel you have enough evidence, kill the bluff and just leave it in the hands of the police and insurance. You can easily say that your "witness" decided not to come forward as your witness and you don't have contact info. Let karma take care of the rest. Everything should play out in your favor. Make sure you communicate with the SV650 owner as well, since you are now a witness to that crime.

Take a deep breath and try to forget about it for a bit. The bike can be repaired or replaced. Be thankful you weren't riding when someone decided to just run it over.

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
damn man, thats a sh!t situation. i havent been involved in anything like this, so i dont have a good answer for advice, but i hope it all works out well for you.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Here's an update. An claims agent from State Farm got back to me. They were way into the detective work and the case I put right in their lap. They're proceeding with a claim against her insurance and prepared to file personal suit if need be based on the evidence I've provided. If the claim goes through I'll be reimbursed the $500 deductible that I don't even have right now, after they collect. She tagged the front wheel pretty good and I feel like it's thrown the alignment off a bit, in addition to also bending the bars. Not something I take lightly on such a high performance machine. Turns out the local Triumph dealership (Performance Cycle Sacramento) went out of business the exact day the bike was hit, so State Farm will tow it to the next dealer, 100 miles south in San Francisco.

I'm following up with Sacramento PD trying to push the criminal aspect, but that can be a bit harder to motivate when your city has a murder rate.

Too many people don't treat motorcycles with the respect they deserve, and this woman needs to learn about responsibility. I'm from San Francisco and it's not uncommon to see a tipped over bike all alone on the side of the road with no note. "It's just a motorcycle". As sad as it is, I can't guarantee it, but I feel if it was a car she hit, the chances are higher that she would have left a note.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Bah! What a scumbag. I hope it all gets worked out and the perpetrator gets what they deserve. 'Failure to stop at the scene of an accident' is a pretty serious offense in Australia. This bitch deserves a reaming purely on principle.

·
Registered
817 Posts
That sucks man - good luck sorting it out. Here in Oz if you have a police report number and evidence, you give the details to your insurance company, they waive the deductible and say "yep no worries will chase them up" then they get the money off the person or their insurance company for damages plus costs.

I got backed over right in front of my eyes by a drunk driver in a ute - got stuck under his tray. Took his rego details, he denied the damage, wouldn't give me his name, got aggro and drove off so I reported it to the cops with a witness (lucky to have security footage too but wasn't needed) and told my insurance company. Never had to pay a thing but just check that they class it as a not at fault claim - I got told I had an at fault claim when I went to renew and was like what the hell!

Again good luck

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Australia seems to have that sorted nicely, as most other countries do. In America, too many services who's primary duty are for civil protection are first and foremost a business, insurance & healthcare being the biggest frauds.

Great weather, beautiful girls, rich cycling culture, and sensible insurance practices down under... think I might look into some real estate down there. :wink2:

·
Registered
704 Posts
Too many people take advantage of a good thing in the states and the insurance company tries to protect their own behind due to it. Sucks that someone isnt responsible enough to confess to their actions but thats the country we live in, innocent until proven guilty and you are only guilty when you get caught. Glad to hear that State Farm is going to persue the vehicle driver too. Good luck with the rest of the claim.

·
Registered
437 Posts
sucks to read this had happened, but if the motorcycles were cars it would have gone the same way.

my girlfriend has no car right now and she is using my 2002 Acura for getting to and from work. she gets out of her job (staples cashier) and there is a big scrape on the front driver's side quarter panel that is bad enough to not allow the door to open due to it being pushed back into the door. no note. nothing.

·
Banned
941 Posts
As for the eye witness part, that may break your case if they try or ask for their contact information.
he lied his way into it, he can probably lie his way out of it. you can say that the witness gave you his/her business card and you lost it somehow. :whistle:

·
Registered
565 Posts
I just yoinked a few jackets and some oil filters off of Howard, I can't believe he closed shop. I'm pissed. I wouldn't have bought the damn bike had I known he was gonna do that. We have to go all the way to San Fran now!!! Let me know next time you go i'll tag along lol. I'm up to 4 times with the exup valve this month lol
(Yes I'm just harrasing triumph to resolve the issue with this damn thing I am well aware I can fix it myself, this is just a better way to open their eyes)

And yes blah blah you guys where right at 6,000 miles the exup went out yada yada....

Oh as a side note. Hit and runs are not taken care of well at all in this city so dot your i's and cross your t's man. I had a hit and run and got the first 5, year make model and description of the guy and 45 minutes later I was told tough shit by CHP because I was missing the last 2 digits.....
anyone seeing a trend in my last few posts:whistle:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Another Triumph dealership in Sacto area

I think Elk Grove Powersports located on Grantline and East Stockton Blvd. is a Triumph Dealership. I went in the other day to look at Aprilia's and they stated they have been approved to be an authorized Triumph Dealership but waiting on getting inventory. They said they do maintenence work on Triumphs now. If this pans out, it'll be better than going to the bay area.

·
Registered
631 Posts
At least you weren't on it!
Some people shouldn't be allowed out without a minder…
I had a CBR hit when it was parked, no note.
Paid to have it fixed and then had it totalled by a blind driver a month later!
Glad that it's sorted for you, walking sucks!

·
Registered
565 Posts
I think Elk Grove Powersports located on Grantline and East Stockton Blvd. is a Triumph Dealership. I went in the other day to look at Aprilia's and they stated they have been approved to be an authorized Triumph Dealership but waiting on getting inventory. They said they do maintenence work on Triumphs now. If this pans out, it'll be better than going to the bay area.
I may have to pop in there....I think I've decided though...Imma either just order the hord collector or run up to Carl Engeleners(sp) shop and have him make me up something custom:nod: dude is california's Dyno God.

·
Registered
712 Posts
good thing your not it texas and there working on this for you. in texas anything that happens in a parking lot or garage is considered no fault. basically they pay for theres and you pay for yours. the only reason i know this is way back in the day when i was delivering pizzas for a living (about 16 years ago) i had a jacked up toyota 4x4 with 35's on it. when i left out of the spot i cut it to quick and went over the top of a co-workers car. police came did all they could do, but she paid for hers and i paid for mine. so hear you can ram people in a parking lot and not have to pay for there shit. its stupid but what can you do.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts