Triumph 675 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been doing some research on lighting options for my street. Over the last two summers i have been very happy with the light output of my stock headlamps. Being that i plan to do a few iron butts this summer that will involve riding at night i'd like to take the light level up a bit. After a bit of searching on what type of bulb (H4) the street takes I've found the upgraded PIAA Bulbs as well as the Phillips Extreme Powers. I also saw the slick DDM Tuning Hi/Low kit. Is anyone running this on their street? If so did they find a good location for the ballasts?

Thanks guys!:thumbup:

·
Super Moderator
11,901 Posts
I put a set of the DDM Tuning HID Motorcycle H4 Hi/Low lights in my Tacoma. I went ahead and got this set because it's identical to the set I would put on my street but it's also compatible with my truck so I knew I could use it for one or the other if it didn't work for one of them. Well to tell you the truth I can't see how you would fit the HID hi/low bulbs in the bucket. Because the bulbs have hi and low in one unit the HID bulb has a solenoid on the back of them to physically move the bulb forward and backward in the light bucket to change the focal point. This all adds up to extra size and alos means that you have to have a rather large hi/low control unit as well as the two ballasts. All in all I can't see how I could put it on the bike cleanly without a lot of modification or wires hanging out everywhere.

The only way I could see it possible to put HIDs on this bike would be if you would forgo the hi/low and just go with the single output type. It would still be a pain to place the ballasts but I think it would be possible but you wouldn't have a high beam so you would have to adjust the lights to a level that compromised possibly pissing off other vehicles and also losing a bit of range.

The other option would be to add auxiliary lights but with our bikes weak alternator I think that would be like committing electrical suicide. Unfortunately I have to recommend getting H4 PIAAs or SiverWhites. Just keep in mind those high output bulbs have about 1/4 to 1/3 the life that the standard bulbs do so be sure to carry spares.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Aside from the electrical system/ballast fitting end of things, from what I've seen, any kind of HID installation into reflective headlight housings always end up with a ton of glare (on cars and bikes) and relatively poor lighting patterns. The only type of HID upgrade I would consider would be an entire HID projector retrofit. Just my opinion though .. I enjoy the nice sharp cutoff with the standard halogens.

·
Super Moderator
11,901 Posts
^^^^

I use to agree with that but I tried it out on my Tacoma which always had a really strong cut-off and it works very well with the HIDs. I have never had anyone flash me and I've had friends sit in there cars while I drive at them they tell me that my lights just look very white but don't blind them.

The only negative I have about hem is that with the add on shield that you have to install in order to prevent glare it kills a large amount of the downward spill I use to get when they were on high beams. So when I put them on high beams now I have a light that reaches way out but nothing on the ground directly in front of the truck for a couple hundred feet. If my truck didn't have fog lights that fill in that area I wouldn't run the HIDs because it would be worse on high beam then it was with the old lights. This is totally a function of having single headlights serving the function of both hi and low beam. If the vehicle had separate hi and low headlights it would solve this problem. This is another problem that would crop up with putting HIDs in the Street.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Not to threadjack but do the PIAA bulbs or the Silverstars (or is it silverwhite?) bulbs really only last 1/4 to 1/3 the life? I want to replace with some super whites that aren't blue.... dunno if that's possible though?

·
Super Moderator
11,901 Posts
Sylvania use to publish all of this in a nice concise table. That was until they got a backlash about the bulb life of the SilverStars. You can still get it at the link I'm providing but it's a lot more confusing on what bulbs are what. I can say that 'LL' stands for Long Life and 'ST' stand for SilverStar.

http://www.sylvaniaautocatalog.com/...wseSylvina_macn.asp?MainBatch=4,1264300223722

The link should open a PDF. If it doesn't go to the following link and then click on 'Data Tables' just under the title 'Headlight Lamps'.

http://www.sylvaniaautocatalog.com/sylvania/pdf.asp

I can save you some time though.

A standard Sylvania H4 (bulbs the Street Triple uses) has a rated life of 300hours on low beam and 150hours on high beam. The same bulb in SilverStar is 150hours and 50hours.

From what I understand the Daytona uses a H7 and an H9. It doesn't appear that Sylvania makes a Silverstar for the H9 so here are the specs for the H7.

H7LL 520Hours
H7(standard) 270
H7ST 85

PIAA doesn't publish their rated bulb life but it's been my experience that PIAAs see longer bulb life then the Silverstar but it could have just been my application at the time as I've known a number of people that have had very quick burnout on the PIAAs as well as the Silverstars.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all of the great input guys. A friend of mine that sells HID kits has offered to send me a kit to test the fitment. If i get board i might just rewire the headlights so that only one is on at a low beam and the other is a 55watt hid. I am more inclined just to be content with the already good level of light i have at my disposal :).

Thanks again for the input!

·
Registered
46 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts