Triumph 675 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Resident Tech
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello fellow 675 riders. My name is Nick and changing the stock lamps will be my first mod on my Red 2006 D675.

First the R&D.

I noticed several users got the Dual HID System ($70.00) from http://ddmtuning.com/ddmhidkits.html but I would like to get the Dual HID System - One Hi/Lo bulb (H4) and One Fixed Bulb
(H7) ($150.00 shipped)

Description: "Order this system if your motorcycle has two headlamp systems with one being a Hi/Lo type bulb and the other being a Fixed Bulb. You may choose any bulb type and color for both bulbs."

I will be running both lights for low and then the high beam still working like stock from the switch on the bars.

I am also using the oil pressure switch as a delay circuit. This will keep the HID lights from turning on before the engine has started.

Well I look forward to contributing more to the community and seeing you all out there on the streets/track.

Write up of delay switch:
This will just be a written howto for the time delay relay. I won't be doing my actual install until end of season.

Summary:
To use HID lights and have them turn on after engine has started by using a normally closed relay to temporarily open until oil pressure switch turns off (after engine has started) and then the relay will close and the HIDs will turn on.

Supplies:
Solder iron/gun & solder or quick disconnects and wire tap-in

You'll need an automotive relay that can be normally closed (5 pin relay). You can get them from most automotive shops. eBay is another source.
http://shop.ebay.com/items/?_nkw=Bos...elay&_osacat=0

Install:
There are a couple of places you can tap the oil pressure switch, but I think easiest would be tapping right off of the instrument cluster by stealing 12V off of the oil pressure light which will turn off after engine starts. (temporarily open the normally closed relay and then return closed after engine start thus turning on the HIDs)

picture of Bosch 5 pin (normally closed relay)

Method 1:
This method will use the oil pressure light to trigger the relay to open temporarily and then close after engine start.

quick guide
85 - ground (Black wire)
86 - positive of oil pressure light
30 - headlight harness negative
87a - negative of HID ballast (Black wire)
87 - unused

1. Locate the wire for the oil pressure light and use a wire tap-in and connect to pin 86 on the relay. Connect pin 85 to ground. Try turning on the key and make sure the relay kicks over or just use a multimeter and measure the voltage across 86 and ground (85).

2. Connect pin 30 to headlight harness negative. Maintain positive wire from harness to HID ballast.

3. Connect pin 87a to negative of HID ballast.

4. Clean up your work and test it out.

Method 2:
This method will use the oil pressure sensor to trigger the relay to open temporarily and then close after engine start.

quick guide
85 - wire lead from oil pressure sensor (Black wire)
86 - positive lead from headlight harness (Blue w/Purple stripe wire)
30 - positive lead from headlight harness (Blue w/Purple stripe wire)
87a - positive of HID ballast (Red wire)
87 - unused

1. Locate the wire for the oil pressure sensor and use a wire tap-in and connect to pin 85 on the relay. Connect pin 86 to positive lead on headlight harness. Try turning on the key and make sure the relay kicks over or just use a multimeter and measure the voltage across 86 and ground (85).

2. Connect pin 30 to headlight harness positive. Maintain negative wire from headlight harness to HID ballast.

3. Connect pin 87a to positive of HID ballast.

Conclusion:
I hope this helps anyone accomplish the goal of having the HIDs come on after engine start and extend the life of them. :thumbsup:

By the way you can use this same relay circuit for delaying the turn on of additional electronics (radar detector, GPS and etc).

If you have any input or a better way then please speak up.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I was under the impression that you can't make both light appear to be low beams without taking the headlight assembly apart and changing the housing on the right side. I thought the high beam housing was angled, and even focused differently... :hmm:

As far as what fits, I haven't heard anything being used but the H7 & H9.

Where in MD are you???

·
Resident Tech
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I was under the impression that you can't make both light appear to be low beams without taking the headlight assembly apart and changing the housing on the right side.

As far as hooking both up to be low beams it's very simple use a relay from the left lamp and run a direct B+ wire to fuse panel connecting both ballasts for the low beam side. the Hi/Lo bulb has an extra lead for the Hi beam and I'll run that to a relay to disengage the low beam and engage the Hi beam.

In my setup that relay from fuse panel will be the same relay used for my time delay circuit to turn on HIDs 7 seconds after engine starts. I might even do a direct wire to the battery, but I probably won't go that route since I am only using 35 watt HIDs

I thought the high beam housing was angled, and even focused differently... :hmm:
Adjusting the angle of the headlamp is easy. And no change in focus. Observe attached graphic from service manual.

As far as what fits, I haven't heard anything being used but the H7 & H9.
I am unsure which of others (H4, H13, 9004 and 9007) can fit in the right side socket. I know I need to modify it (possibly with shims and silicon???) to make the angle and fitting work.

Where in MD are you???
Lanham, MD not far from UMCP. You?

·
Resident Tech
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was just staring at the electrical schematic and I can probably just tap a relay into the oil pressure switch instead of having a time delay circuit and would be pretty simple to do. HIDs wouldn't come on until engine is started.

Just a thought.

Anyone burn out their HIDs from them turning on and then off when starting then back on again?

·
That yummy Stabby is all mine!
356 Posts
The projector housings are the same. The only difference is the mounting plate.
Left side contains the H7 and has a clip over style bracket. (If any one has one of these I would like one!):whistle: This creates a box shaped output.

Right side has a H9 and has the bolt style. Because of this plastic piece the bulb is actually back further in the project. Giving it a "spotlight style" output.

I believe that an H4 will fit in the H7's slot. (not 100%) So with some wiring you could have both lights be low/high.

·
Resident Tech
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I believe that an H4 will fit in the H7's slot. (not 100%) So with some wiring you could have both lights be low/high.
I believe you are correct I have seen several places saying that H4 will fit into a H7 slot.

so you know - if you have an HID kit from a company that knows anything, it will only have one bulb, on a solenoid. it wont have a high and low beam "filament"
Well there are some H4 lamps that have dual filaments. The H4/9003 that are dual filaments have HID as Lo beam and halogen as Hi beam. Here is a nice way of doing it.

H4/9003 Hi/Lo two bulb design (HID Lo and Halogen Hi)

H4/9003 Solenoid version

·
Registered
132 Posts
that diagram shows a single "filament" (altho HID's dont have filaments per say, but i use that term so its easier to understand) that must have a solenoid that moves the "bulb" backwards in the housing for thehigh beam operation. that is the correct method.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
I like where your head is. The oil pressure switch would definitely be a unique and cool way of doing it too.

I'm not sure if you will get the two bulbs to look the same. If you adjust it down so they are focused evenly you will end up with an ineffective high beam.

·
Registered
6,232 Posts
The high beam projector lens (or housing) causes it to be focused in a very different way from the low beam. I tried slipping by for a week with a high beam only (low beam HID bulb died, waiting for warranty replacement), and I adjusted it as much as I could and still it would not even compare to the spread of a low beam.

If you want the mod to be really effective you might want to see if you can swap the projector lens from the high beam for the low beam.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I am running 2 H7 bulbs in my setup. I keep them both on all of the time and have the right one pointed down so that it is as close to a normal headlight as possible.

The only problem is the projector is what makes the shape the light is projected out.

·
Race Team Sponsor
1,248 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
I ordered the same dual HID kit and was wondering what the reason was for installing a time delay switch for the HIDs? If this switch is recommeded does someone have a write up on how to install the delay switch?

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Its because they turn on when you turn on the ignition, which is fine, but then as soon as you hit the starter it kills them, then restarts them when the bike. A delay would only turn them on once you start it, then they can remain on.

·
Resident Tech
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
I ordered the same dual HID kit and was wondering what the reason was for installing a time delay switch for the HIDs? If this switch is recommeded does someone have a write up on how to install the delay switch?
Write up of delay switch:
This will just be a written howto for the time delay relay. I won't be doing my actual install until end of season.

Summary:
To use HID lights and have them turn on after engine has started by using a normally closed relay to temporarily open until oil pressure switch turns off (after engine has started) and then the relay will close and the HIDs will turn on.

Supplies:
Solder iron/gun & solder or quick disconnects and wire tap-in

You'll need an automotive relay that can be normally closed (5 pin relay). You can get them from most automotive shops. eBay is another source.
http://shop.ebay.com/items/?_nkw=Bosch+Style+Relay+%26+Harness+12V+Automotive+30+amp+SPDT&_sacat=0&_fromfsb=&_trksid=m270.l1313&_odkw=automotive+relay&_osacat=0

Install:
There are a couple of places you can tap the oil pressure switch, but I think easiest would be tapping right off of the instrument cluster by stealing 12V off of the oil pressure light which will turn off after engine starts. (temporarily open the normally closed relay and then return closed after engine start thus turning on the HIDs)

picture of Bosch 5 pin (normally closed relay)

Method 1:
This method will use the oil pressure light to trigger the relay to open temporarily and then close after engine start.

quick guide
85 - ground (Black wire)
86 - positive of oil pressure light
30 - headlight harness negative
87a - negative of HID ballast (Black wire)
87 - unused

1. Locate the wire for the oil pressure light and use a wire tap-in and connect to pin 86 on the relay. Connect pin 85 to ground. Try turning on the key and make sure the relay kicks over or just use a multimeter and measure the voltage across 86 and ground (85).

2. Connect pin 30 to headlight harness negative. Maintain positive wire from harness to HID ballast.

3. Connect pin 87a to negative of HID ballast.

Method 2:
This method will use the oil pressure sensor to trigger the relay to open temporarily and then close after engine start.

quick guide
85 - wire lead from oil pressure sensor (Black wire)
86 - positive lead from headlight harness (Blue w/Purple stripe wire)
30 - positive lead from headlight harness (Blue w/Purple stripe wire)
87a - positive of HID ballast (Red wire)
87 - unused

1. Locate the wire for the oil pressure sensor and use a wire tap-in and connect to pin 85 on the relay. Connect pin 86 to positive lead on headlight harness. Try turning on the key and make sure the relay kicks over or just use a multimeter and measure the voltage across 86 and ground (85).

2. Connect pin 30 to headlight harness positive. Maintain negative wire from headlight harness to HID ballast.

3. Connect pin 87a to positive of HID ballast.

Conclusion:
I hope this helps anyone accomplish the goal of having the HIDs come on after engine start and extend the life of them. :thumbsup:

If you have any input or a better way then please speak up.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Christoff,

What are the specs on the relay that I need. 12V 30amp or 12V 20amp. The link to the item on ebay states that it replaces 20amp items.

Also, why do I need a 5 wire/pin. I only ask b/c I have only been able to find 4 pin 12v 30amp relays and do not know if those would work as well.

Thanks!

·
Registered
6,232 Posts
While I think it's a cool idea, why not just go with an on/off switch? There's a lot less engineering involved... and you can run stealthy at night if you want to, just like knight rider :laugh:

·
Resident Tech
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Christoff,

What are the specs on the relay that I need. 12V 30amp or 12V 20amp. The link to the item on ebay states that it replaces 20amp items.

Also, why do I need a 5 wire/pin. I only ask b/c I have only been able to find 4 pin 12v 30amp relays and do not know if those would work as well.

Thanks!
20amp is fine. Startup of HID is only about 6amps and then only just under 4amps constant if running single HID on left. Double that if running dual HIDs.

The reason why you need a 5 pin relay is because you want a normally closed relay (5 pin) not a normally open relay (4 pin).

If you were to use a 4pin relay the lights would only be on from the moment your key is on until the pressure switch or light goes off then your lights would not come on.

Using the 5pin relay while the oil pressure switch/light is on (key on before engine start) the relay kicks from normally closed (pin87a where we connected to the ballast) to normally open (pin87) where nothing is connected. Then upon starting the bike the pressure switch will turn off thus turning off the relay and resuming to normally closed (pin87) and the HIDs will come alive.

While I think it's a cool idea, why not just go with an on/off switch? There's a lot less engineering involved... and you can run stealthy at night if you want to, just like knight rider :laugh:
Not complicated or over engineered. Just simple.

·
Registered
208 Posts
20amp is fine. Startup of HID is only about 6amps and then only just under 4amps constant if running single HID on left. Double that if running dual HIDs.

The reason why you need a 5 pin relay is because you want a normally closed relay (5 pin) not a normally open relay (4 pin).

If you were to use a 4pin relay the lights would only be on from the moment your key is on until the pressure switch or light goes off then your lights would not come on.

Using the 5pin relay while the oil pressure switch/light is on (key on before engine start) the relay kicks from normally closed (pin87a where we connected to the ballast) to normally open (pin87) where nothing is connected. Then upon starting the bike the pressure switch will turn off thus turning off the relay and resuming to normally closed (pin87) and the HIDs will come alive.

Not complicated or over engineered. Just simple.
I hope your oil light does not come on at night for more than one reason.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts