Triumph 675 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought my first triumph., 2017 675r. I love this bike, I ride mostly twisties and its just perfect handling, with enough power to be fun.

Two questions, (I did search)
1. My coolant resivior seems to be low but I didnt see any obvious way of adding more, the bikes temp guage has been 8/10 bars or so when Im riding hard, didnt know if that was a common/acceptable set point, and I know the guy who I bought from used the bike for track days so Im afraid there might just be water in there. Any advice on this?

2. My tire pressure guage pops on and off although pressure seems to be fine, is this common with these bikes?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
P.S she has 12k miles on her, I ride really hard all the time, I basically only ride canyons, do you think I should get it serviced or have it looked over? It seems to run like a champ but now that I have this bike im so nervous somethings going to happen to it

·
Registered
652 Posts
If you can't fix things when they break, then it's way cheaper to prevent them from breaking. Get it checked over. 8 bars is really high from my experience. Until my thermostat seized last week I'd never seen mine that high.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Water is actually the best coolant. Racers use water. But they drain it and don't have to worry about freezing, rusting or long term health of their seals.

Reservoir tank on your bike should be behind the right mid fairing. Pop off the rubber cap and add coolant.

I have a 2012 but my temp is always 5 bars moving, occasionally 6 if it's hot and in traffic. Your temp seems to be high but it may be because there ain't enough coolant.

Don't have TPMS so can't help with that. They never give false readings in the cars I have though.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ironically, I had the same issue with my Honda crv I bought used, other than that, its been great. Ive seen the resivior buy couldnt get access to it, I didnt know if there was an easier way without taking it off, Im not very mechanically inclined on motorcycles, thanks for the replies

·
Registered
96 Posts
I think you can get to the reservoir filler cap by just taking the right top carbon fiber panel off and reaching down there. You may need a longish funnel to add coolant. You should be able to see the level by looking from the front.

The reservoir location was changed on the 13+. On my 12 it's on left side middle. Easy to add with the right little funnel but an absolute PitA to take the reservoir off.

·
Registered
30 Posts
OP, you aren't riding hard. Your engine is made for racing, not street twisties. You are nowhere near limits.

Your temp gauge isn't reading bar pressure, either. The highest rated caps are rated for 2.0 bar... and those are hard to find. 1.8 is the highest most people will ever see.... 1.2 and 1.4 are the common caps. Temp gauges read temperature... not pressure. Where are you all getting this "8 bars" as temperature?

Water in your cooling system is not an issue. It is SUPPOSED to have water in it, whether you run glycol coolant or Water Wetter/ Engine Ice.

Add coolant to your overflow tank. The location is in the manual.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I think he means 'bars' in the sense of what's displayed on the cluster 'graph,' not the measure air pressure.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OP, you aren't riding hard. Your engine is made for racing, not street twisties. You are nowhere near limits.

Your temp gauge isn't reading bar pressure, either. The highest rated caps are rated for 2.0 bar... and those are hard to find. 1.8 is the highest most people will ever see.... 1.2 and 1.4 are the common caps. Temp gauges read temperature... not pressure. Where are you all getting this "8 bars" as temperature?

Water in your cooling system is not an issue. It is SUPPOSED to have water in it, whether you run glycol coolant or Water Wetter/ Engine Ice.

Add coolant to your overflow tank. The location is in the manual.
Yes, I was refering to the temp readout, shown in bars, out of 8 possible Im sitting around 6 bars when riding. I took my plastic off and put distilled water in my resivior, it seems to just sit on top of the coolant, and not cycle through the radiator. Do you think this is a problem or is this normal. Normally Im not that proactive on maintenance stuff but i ride for a few hours a day and I dont want to be trashing my bike.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have been guided WRT bars by Bat-1... lol. I never really took notice of how Triumph communicates coolant temp to the rider... I've looked at the graph and never really thought twice. From personal experience, when a rock punched a hole in my rad and it sprung a leak, the graph flashes when over temp (I ran out of coolant), as well as the temp light coming on.

If you added water slowly into the overflow, it simply may not have mixed into the coolant already in there, meaning coolant/water dissolved together won't quickly mix with water added later.

"6 out of 8 bars" on a graph, to me, means that you are only getting to 75% of the highest temperature the bike's instruments considers acceptable.

If you have an Owner's Manual... follow it. Look at the periodic maintenance chart.

"Rule of Thumb" with ANY used vehicle purchase is to change ALL fluids when you get the machine home. I'm attaching the coolant drain and fill instructions form the Factory Service Manual. From the sounds of your lack of mixing in the overflow... it tells me that you have more than water or combination of water/water wetter in there.

When you drain the coolant, check the colour. It should be yellow or green. Replace the coolant with an "Aluminum Friendly" coolant like Power Sport 5050 Premixed Antifreeze Coolant | STPProducts.ca

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have been guided WRT bars by Bat-1... lol. I never really took notice of how Triumph communicates coolant temp to the rider... I've looked at the graph and never really thought twice. From personal experience, when a rock punched a hole in my rad and it sprung a leak, the graph flashes when over temp (I ran out of coolant), as well as the temp light coming on.

If you added water slowly into the overflow, it simply may not have mixed into the coolant already in there, meaning coolant/water dissolved together won't quickly mix with water added later.

"6 out of 8 bars" on a graph, to me, means that you are only getting to 75% of the highest temperature the bike's instruments considers acceptable.

If you have an Owner's Manual... follow it. Look at the periodic maintenance chart.

"Rule of Thumb" with ANY used vehicle purchase is to change ALL fluids when you get the machine home. I'm attaching the coolant drain and fill instructions form the Factory Service Manual. From the sounds of your lack of mixing in the overflow... it tells me that you have more than water or combination of water/water wetter in there.

When you drain the coolant, check the colour. It should be yellow or green. Replace the coolant with an "Aluminum Friendly" coolant like Power Sport 5050 Premixed Antifreeze Coolant | STPProducts.ca

View attachment 260047 View attachment 260048
Thank you, I really appreciate the effort put forth with your answer. Im so paranoid about my bike because its the first one Ive had in 10 years, and I forgot how happy they make me, Im scared to screw it up, also I had an sv650s before, mild V-twin that I did track days with, never a beautiful high performance machine like this, I wont have another 10 grand play money to drop if I trash this bike.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Remove the right hand side fairing and the coolant expansion tank is right behind it. The fairings on this bike are pretty easy to remove, youtube is your friend if you don't have the manual. Also, its a machine.. I get your hesitations, but as long as you're not bouncing off the rev limiter EVERY shift, that motor is very strong. Ive got 14k miles on my 2015 675R, she begs me for way more than Im capable of giving it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Remove the right hand side fairing and the coolant expansion tank is right behind it. The fairings on this bike are pretty easy to remove, youtube is your friend if you don't have the manual. Also, its a machine.. I get your hesitations, but as long as you're not bouncing off the rev limiter EVERY shift, that motor is very strong. Ive got 14k miles on my 2015 675R, she begs me for way more than Im capable of giving it.
Sweet I got the ‘17 675r, just passed 14k myself, I really hope these motors last, I ride at pretty high altitude and it still pulls like a champ, the guy that had it before me mostly ran track with it and did a lot of upgrades to the bike, which is good and bad I suppose, I know it hasn’t been babied but I don’t baby it either.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Sweet I got the ‘17 675r, just passed 14k myself, I really hope these motors last, I ride at pretty high altitude and it still pulls like a champ, the guy that had it before me mostly ran track with it and did a lot of upgrades to the bike, which is good and bad I suppose, I know it hasn’t been babied but I don’t baby it either.
At the end of the day, it's a machine. Use it as a machine haha. I've given all my bikes human personalities for too long, it's time to treat them as machines like they're intended

1 - 14 of 14 Posts