Triumph 675 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any one have experience removing motorcycle tires by hand + tire irons? In particular the front wheel? I figured I'd give this a shot as it was good knowledge and skills to learn if ever needed.

Used a bead breaker...got the first bead (the hard part) immediately off first try. Could not have been simpler. Second bead, will NOT come off. I spent 2.5 hrs trying to get the friggin second bead off and it does NOT budge.

What drives me nuts is every YouTube vid, they jus crank a part of the bead lip over using the iron, and then use their hands to pull the rest of tire off. LOOKS SO EASY.. In EVERY vid. It's been impossible in my attempts! In 2.5 I've tried every way I can think of. The tire doesn't budge. I can get about 20-25% of the tire bead off the rim completely, and then the lip just gets totally stuck and locked onto the rim...does not want to move at all.

Any tips would be much appreciated...thanks!!

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
oh yea...def a LOT of soapy water on there. Didn't seem to make a difference. I've seen vids pull off the 2nd bead super easy with prying only ONE iron. Most use 2 irons. I tried using one, two, sort of 3. It's hard to get more of the bead off to get 3 in there.

·
Registered
752 Posts
There are a lot of variables that come into play here. Brand of rim, brand of tire, age of tire, type of tire, ect. ect. Any one of things can make the tire more or less difficult to remove. I know from experience that shops ABSOLUTELY HATE working with my Carrozzeria wheels regardless of what tire I'm using.

·
Super Moderator
11,901 Posts
It depends on the tire on how easy they are to remove. Dunlops are a BITCH. Michelins are so easy you wonder how they stay on.

You use two to hold the bead while you slip a third one in from underneath and pry up then you slide the loose tire iron over to hold what you just gained and repeat.

·
Super Moderator
11,901 Posts
There are a lot of variables that come into play here. Brand of rim, brand of tire, age of tire, type of tire, ect. ect. Any one of things can make the tire more or less difficult to remove. I know from experience that shops ABSOLUTELY HATE working with my Carrozzeria wheels regardless of what tire I'm using.
The reason they hate your wheels is that they are afraid of damaging them. I personally have no issues with that but I do take a lot of extra precautions when working with them.

·
Registered
7,853 Posts
Dunlops are a BITCH.
Ha that was my next question! Are you trying to take off a Dunlop? I've pushed a Power One V onto the wheel with no tools at all, crazy easy. Pirellis are usually easy too. Crazy how it's not really something most people consider when they don't change their own tires.

You want a tip? Get a No Mar! Best ~$500 you'll spend if you can find one used.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Its the Pirelli Dragon Supercorsa - stock tires, 2007 Daytona. Sides are still unworn. 3000 miles

:rant: SO STUPID, WAHHHHHH!!!

*sigh..

·
Registered
382 Posts
Been doing this for years now !!! Can I ask what are you using to hold the rim ??? I actually have a Harbour Freight tire changer just to hold the rim but I use tire irons with it. I am sure this is a stupid question but you did break the bead on both sides of the tire ???

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
Smooth :coolgleamA:

Who could've guessed you can pull ladies with a tyre changer ? :notworthy:

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If you are in the AnnArbor area (UMich) i have a NoMar tire changer and offer it's use up for free.
Thanks dmarino! Very kind of you. Unfortunately I was only in AA to visit friends and campus...back in stinkin' NJ now :(

Jazman, I'm attempting it by hand. As the HF changer I only have the HF Demount bar and it immediately scratched my rim even when using an inner bike tube to protect it. Quite a few vids by hand looks so simple. First bead was cake! Got it off in like 2 mins. 2nd one I can't get out. Spoke to a guy who's had experience in these methods, and he promotes keeping the rim vertical to pry it out. Ive tried all methods. I'll get some proper tyre lube, hopefully today, and attempt it again...

Yes, broke the bead on both sides, the tire is just flopping around the rim right now (with the 1st bead removed)

·
Registered
382 Posts
Thanks dmarino! Very kind of you. Unfortunately I was only in AA to visit friends and campus...back in stinkin' NJ now :(

Yes, broke the bead on both sides, the tire is just flopping around the rim right now (with the 1st bead removed)
Just wanted to be sure , once watched a guy for 2 hours try to get a tire off and he had only broke the bead on one side, LOL.

If you do not have anything else to support the rim we used to use a bucket, the plastic ones usually will not scratch the rim ! As far as lube one of the best I have used is lemon pledge , have also used wd40 !

Without something to clamp the rim in I have always had to use 3 spoons to remove a front tire, 2 on the outside and then one from the other side to lever the tire off. Be sure that the opposite side from where you have the spoons is in the middle , concave part of the rim. Rim protectors ( Or cut up plastic bottles, the gallon arizona tea bottles will work ), It also helps to have the tire warm, out in the sun, cold rubber can be a real PITA !!

·
Registered
6,602 Posts
Just wanted to be sure , once watched a guy for 2 hours try to get a tire off and he had only broke the bead on one side, LOL.

If you do not have anything else to support the rim we used to use a bucket, the plastic ones usually will not scratch the rim ! As far as lube one of the best I have used is lemon pledge , have also used wd40 !

Without something to clamp the rim in I have always had to use 3 spoons to remove a front tire, 2 on the outside and then one from the other side to lever the tire off. Be sure that the opposite side from where you have the spoons is in the middle , concave part of the rim. Rim protectors ( Or cut up plastic bottles, the gallon arizona tea bottles will work ), It also helps to have the tire warm, out in the sun, cold rubber can be a real PITA !!
This might be your ticket right there Michelle (see bold and underlined text)

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
I've no patience, if it has taken that much time, would there be any harm in just cutting the tire out of the way so you can get on with installing the replacement?

How marred up is the rim now?

I've a nomar and got the hitch mount so i can travel with it, pretty darn cool :nod:

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
yea no kidding. i would of been a lot more impatient, if i didnt think i was giving my dad half a heart attack...

Giving it another go tonight. I was hoping to keep the tires. Very light wear, especially the front. Definitely reuseable.

Thanks guys, will let you know what makes the tire come off

No scratches whatsoever on the rim :) Tropicana does it's job! If it was scratching, I'd be stopping..

·
Registered
869 Posts
The part you are describing in the biggest PIA when changing your own tires. Like was said previously, you should have 3 tire irons, lube up the edge of the tire, and work your way a few inches with each bite. Having someone hold one tire iron and wheel will help, while you use the other two tire irons playing frogger with them. Once you get passed halfway the tire will probably fall off the wheel (if not you can probably pull it off by hand).

p.s. I don't know if the inside edge is called a bead...setting the bead is what seals the tire and wheel. :noclue: It sounds weird to me. And, of course, you have to break the beads on the tire before you can start taking it off.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Oh i guess i cant really say I know what it is either haha.

Anyways - I GOT THE TIRE OFF! First try - wheeee! Kept the rim vertical. I guess it was a combination of real "Pro Clean Tyre Lube", Kneeling on the tire to press it off + a rubber mallet got it off pretty quickly.

New tire on too. YAY Thanks everyone! :bowdown::bowdown: I was so happy. Now to tackle the rear tire and balance the two.

·
Registered
233 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,901 Posts
When it comes to changing tires yourself to save money it all depends on what you have for a local shop around. Around here our shop and Cycle Gear both change tires for free if you buy the tire from them and take the wheel off (which is obviously off if you are doing it yourself anyway).

The only real advantage I can see if you have those kind of shops around is if you are racing or doing track days and need to change your tires out frequently.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.