Triumph 675 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all hope alls well
I need some serious advice , my head gasket has gone ,, I won't do a big Mail explaining how I know this ,
However I had an insurance pay out so have the £ ,, I have a mechanic about to sort it, I won't say name , he's good and has good rep ,, however he said he will be replacing cylinder sleeves and putting new rings on , and he will be replacing cam chain , he said he needs to do this to do job properly ,, I don't mind , it's only done 47000 k so not a chain with massive millage ,, the total for parts and labour £875.00 ? What's your thoughts ,, p.s he will do job properly has daytona certificates all over workshop ,, but thoughts ,, I will be going up pay deposit and book it in next couple days,, will skint me but it should be like a new engine with rings and that ??

·
Registered
96 Posts
I only know U.S. prices and for what he's proposing to do that sounds like a good deal. A Triumph head gasket kit for the 675 Daytona alone (consists of all the gaskets you need) is around $400.

That said, a leaking head gasket in no way requires piston ring replacement. Apparently the bike has other issues as well.

Replacing rings is an order of magnitude more involved and difficult than just doing a head gasket.

·
Registered
30 Posts
So you want opinions on the price that you are being charged and you won't go into detail about the problem? Sleeves and rings have nothing to do with a dickered gasket unless catastrophe or time is a factor.

What is the point of this post?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This has got me worried now, he's not seen the bike but is going to change the sleeves piston rings ,, and also cam chain ,, ill ask him all this when I drop the bike in I'll let you know what he sais ,,!!!R.E COMMENT ,, what's the point in this post ,, you didn't have to read it or reply if you didn't like post sorry

·
Registered
30 Posts
LOL

Good luck with whatever it is you are talking about.

·
Registered
145 Posts
If your deep enough into it and given age and mileage you might as well do it all. I'm not familiar with that model so it could be only a few km from rebuild time anyway.
I spent $800 on a rebuild of my last trials bike cause I broke the drain plug then lost it into the bottom end. Guaranteed the bottom end bearings would explode the moment I put it back together if I didn't change them when it was apart.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If your deep enough into it and given age and mileage you might as well do it all. I'm not familiar with that model so it could be only a few km from rebuild time anyway.
I spent $800 on a rebuild of my last trials bike cause I broke the drain plug then lost it into the bottom end. Guaranteed the bottom end bearings would explode the moment I put it back together if I didn't change them when it was apart.
Thankyou for that I feel better

1 - 8 of 8 Posts