Triumph 675 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help! I just loaded a TuneECU tune 20203 (Stock Bike, Stock Exhaust) and now my bike won't start. It's acting like it has a dead battery. It'll crank over for a couple seconds and the starter will quit. It's almost like it's not firing.

When I first loaded the tune, I did it with the ignition on, lights on, etc. and that might have drained the battery, so I put it on a battery tender.

It's a 100% stock bike that ran fine...right before I loaded the tune. New Battery, etc.

I tried loading a different tune, 20399 (Stock Bike, Stock Exhaust) from the OEM tune list website (http://www.tomhamburg.net/Tune_List.html) and it's still not starting.

EDIT: I just let it sit on the battery tender for a little while and it started up with tune 20399. Must have been a dead battery.

SCARED THE HELL OUT OF ME. Has anyone experienced this before?

Homer

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Help! I just loaded a TuneECU tune 20203 (Stock Bike, Stock Exhaust) and now my bike won't start. It's acting like it has a dead battery. It'll crank over for a couple seconds and the starter will quit. It's almost like it's not firing.

When I first loaded the tune, I did it with the ignition on, lights on, etc. and that might have drained the battery, so I put it on a battery tender.

It's a 100% stock bike that ran fine...right before I loaded the tune. New Battery, etc.

I tried loading a different tune, 20399 (Stock Bike, Stock Exhaust) from the OEM tune list website (http://www.tomhamburg.net/Tune_List.html) and it's still not starting.

EDIT: I just let it sit on the battery tender for a little while and it started up with tune 20399. Must have been a dead battery.

SCARED THE HELL OUT OF ME. Has anyone experienced this before?

Homer
LOL yeah

Take the fuses for you main lights and aux lights (signals and markers) OUT when you are playing with tunes. If it gets to low you can corrupt the flash and cause all sorts of goofiness.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good advice. When I loaded that first tune, I had the high beams on.

I had already removed the plastic cup cover for the low beam light, back when I was having regulator / battery problems, that way, I could not only turn off the high beam, but also turn off the low beam by just reaching and unplugging it.

So that's what I did while I did the rest of the tuning, I turned off the high beam, and unplugged the low beam in addition to having it on the battery tender.

I guess I was just really surprised to have a dead battery, it was only like 10 minutes of leaving the ignition on, if that...

I was worried I'd messed up my ECU. And since my car is in the shop, this is my only vehicle for the meantime.. Didn't want to go from 2 vehicles to none! Haha

I ended up tweaking a few things, like the fan thermostat temperature coming on at 93 degrees C instead of 107 because I live in Florida and it gets really hot here. Never had overheating problems, but I'd like the bike to run as cool as possible when it gets hot out. I also tweaked the exhaust valve to open sooner, coming open to 100% at 6000 rpm instead of 8000 rpm. I also lowered the idle RPM down to about 1050 rpm down from 1250. That'll reduce (slightly) the amount of fuel that is wasted while I sit in traffic and also help keep the temperature down.

Anyways, thanks for your help!

·
Registered
197 Posts
were you by chance pushing your bike across dean and university using the crosswalk a few months back??

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
were you by chance pushing your bike across dean and university using the crosswalk a few months back??
Haha yea that was me. That was when my stator went bad.. Stalled out in traffic and I didn't have enough juice to start it back up. Went to the parts store and they jumped me.. Just enough juice to make it home. I live down dean road & 408.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Haha yea that was me. That was when my stator went bad.. Stalled out in traffic and I didn't have enough juice to start it back up. Went to the parts store and they jumped me.. Just enough juice to make it home. I live down dean road & 408.
Yah, I wanted to pull over and see if I could help a fellow triumph rider but it was my 3rd time late for class.:whistle:

Battery tender saves that thing. once battery goes I want to try those trugel batteries.

·
Registered
169 Posts
if it makes ya feel any better, i just used tune ecu for the first time today and scared the daylights out of myself when i went start the bike and just got a click. just needed the running light fuse back in :)

glad it was an easy fix man :thumbup:

·
Registered
187 Posts
Good advice. When I loaded that first tune, I had the high beams on.

I had already removed the plastic cup cover for the low beam light, back when I was having regulator / battery problems, that way, I could not only turn off the high beam, but also turn off the low beam by just reaching and unplugging it.

So that's what I did while I did the rest of the tuning, I turned off the high beam, and unplugged the low beam in addition to having it on the battery tender.

I guess I was just really surprised to have a dead battery, it was only like 10 minutes of leaving the ignition on, if that...

I was worried I'd messed up my ECU. And since my car is in the shop, this is my only vehicle for the meantime.. Didn't want to go from 2 vehicles to none! Haha

I ended up tweaking a few things, like the fan thermostat temperature coming on at 93 degrees C instead of 107 because I live in Florida and it gets really hot here. Never had overheating problems, but I'd like the bike to run as cool as possible when it gets hot out. I also tweaked the exhaust valve to open sooner, coming open to 100% at 6000 rpm instead of 8000 rpm. I also lowered the idle RPM down to about 1050 rpm down from 1250. That'll reduce (slightly) the amount of fuel that is wasted while I sit in traffic and also help keep the temperature down.

Anyways, thanks for your help!
how to adjust the idle rpm with the tune ecu?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts