Triumph 675 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has any one ever tried 'Scudman's method' for Balancing their tires? Using their rear stand? I want to use this way, do not want to buy a balancer, but I'm having some issues with it. OR my tires/wheels could just be perfectly balanced, but I dont think so...

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WHkSPZJ3fI"]YouTube - SCUDMAN Balancing[/nomedia]

·
Registered
382 Posts
Never used his method and not sure I would, I do static balance a $h-t load of tires, but have a No-Mar static balancer, with adapters for most bikes and so far great success. I know HF sells one that is very similar. Not sure that the stand makes a huge difference but having the rod centered in the wheel and held firmly in place does make a huge difference.

·
Registered
5,462 Posts
I bought my balancer with adapter cones for around $29 US.

Hardly expensive, and it fits any rear stand. Worth the small outlay.

O.B

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I bought my balancer with adapter cones for around $29 US.

Hardly expensive, and it fits any rear stand. Worth the small outlay.

O.B
Hey OB - mind I ask where at? at this point $29 for something that works is fine with me!

·
Registered
5,462 Posts

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
what tires you running? I've had pretty good luck with Michelin's needing very little weight like maybe a 1/2 oz....same with their car tires also when I used to work at a tire shop I would balance with very little weight or no weight at all, but now I just run dyna-beads throw them in and go:thumbup:

·
Registered
509 Posts
my b016 front was perfectly balanced without weights luck of the draw i guess

·
Registered
382 Posts
If you can find lead weights even better. Can't believe they banned them. The steel weights are too bulky.
No-Mar still sells lead weights but they are pricy, I think my last box cost $60 !! The biggest problem I have with the steel weights is that if I need less than a 1/4 oz I have got to hack saw the weight !!!!

·
BOTM Marshall
3,511 Posts
what tires you running? I've had pretty good luck with Michelin's needing very little weight like maybe a 1/2 oz....same with their car tires also when I used to work at a tire shop I would balance with very little weight or no weight at all, but now I just run dyna-beads throw them in and go:thumbup:
qweesy, do you like the dyna beads? Did they perform as well as they are made out? I'm about to use them on my new set of tires and still iffy about them.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
qweesy, do you like the dyna beads? Did they perform as well as they are made out? I'm about to use them on my new set of tires and still iffy about them.
Yes I like them alot i will not be going back to static weights, dont have to worry about them falling off or looking like poo....and the tires are balanced for the life of the tire.

the tires are not balanced at 5mph or lower but your only doing that in a parking lot and the Michelin PR2's ive had been pretty good off the bat needing very little weight or no weight at all.

The beads are pretty cheap, you can save them if you want for the next tire change but i don't even mess with that I just buy a new set.

Oh and if you get em don't even fuck with trying to put the beads through the valve... PITA and I spilled a 1/4 bag trying to do so.....they said it would help if you put a vibrator next to the valve...........uh I don't have a fuckin vibrator:laugh:.

So what I do its put the new tire on seal the bead on both sides pop one side of the tire bead throw the dyna beads in 1oz front and 2oz rear and seal the tire bead back up:thumbup:alot easier

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
wow. i totally give up. the HF Balancer is the biggest POS ive ever encountered. No matter how you try to fix it, the beams are completely crooked. No way to get them level/straight....the good reviews are a mystery to me.

·
Registered
5,462 Posts
wow. i totally give up. the HF Balancer is the biggest POS ive ever encountered. No matter how you try to fix it, the beams are completely crooked. No way to get them level/straight....the good reviews are a mystery to me.
The beams are crooked?

Are you referring to the stand that the balancer sits on? Got any photos? Mine just attaches to any rear race stand - rollers replace the bobbin hooks - and works a treat.

Sorry this isn't working out for you. Bummer.

O.B

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The beams are crooked?

Are you referring to the stand that the balancer sits on? Got any photos? Mine just attaches to any rear race stand - rollers replace the bobbin hooks - and works a treat.

Sorry this isn't working out for you. Bummer.

O.B
Yea the beams are crooked. Made in China lol. The Base is flat/straight. The beams that bolt onto the base aren't flat at the connection pt so there's no way to get it to bolt straight and level. Put it back in the box :( Think im going to try to secure some good bearings. Use the rod and cones the HF balancer comes with + my rear stand...... need these friggin tires on!!! Or else the track bike prep is going no where...

·
Registered
5,462 Posts
Umi -

You should be able to achieve this just by hanging the rod with cones on the bobbins of your paddock stand.

Perhaps use the supplied stand as a nice, novel hanging plant stand. You know, a real backyard talking point ...

Seriously though - good luck! Get those tyres on!

O.B

·
Registered
5,462 Posts
Oh, hang on.

I bet your bearings are PART of the stand, aren't they?

Friggin' heck.

Okay. I'm getting on a plane to Noo Joisey with my angle grinder and welder right now ...

O.B

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Umi -

You should be able to achieve this just by hanging the rod with cones on the bobbins of your paddock stand.

Perhaps use the supplied stand as a nice, novel hanging plant stand. You know, a real backyard talking point ...

Seriously though - good luck! Get those tyres on!

O.B
Haha yeah - right now the HF rod + cones are just chillen on my pitbull stand. Im like "this spins plenty fine!"....*sigh...unforunately it won't actually be useful without bearings.

Hey OB - are you familiar with bearings? With the scudman method, it seems I should be good with just two bearings, but the amazon ones I picked up are crappy ones that don't seem to work well enough (im clueless on types of bearings). Would you suggest any particular type with a 0.5" Bore to use with this situation? Would you recommend that the rod diameter + bearing bore need to be the same size? Thanks!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts