Triumph 675 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there everyone,

I guess this is as good a time as any to introduce myself. And I preapologize if this is like a novel but I like to be thorough :p. I've been a part of the site technically for a little while but haven't come to the point i'm at now to get things rolling so thats why I've been delayed. Plus the minor details of two jobs and class doesn't help :p. I'll be graduating with a business degree in May and I've been riding motorcycles for about 6 years now. I've only done one trackday so far but am by no stretch of the imagination yearning for more!

I've owned two bikes since my riding career began, a 2004 GS500f and a 2005 SV650S. So i'm pretty familiar with the twin side of motorcycles. I have been wanting a full on sportbike thats a bit more advanced for a while and since i've already had two Suzuki's, both of which were yellow. I thought the next step would be a GSXR-750 K6, Up until now....I was going to get a bike after I sold my SV in April but close to $3,000 in car repairs over the summer forced me to postpone. I've been searching like crazy for that elusive GSXR but it hasn't happened. I almost had one a couple weeks ago but it was bought right as I was heading out the door to go see it. And a few days ago the Daytona 675 popped back in my head. It had always been in the back of my mind but I never thought I could afford one and there were a couple things I knew I wanted to mod if I got it to make it better for me personally and wasn't sure if I wanted to go that route considering that ole money factor.
Well it seems from what I've researched that I could find a 675 for a great price now and I thought if I'm thinking about getting one I should get more acquainted with the 675 and this site :).
So this long drawn out explanation brings me to my question and need for opinions. Well more like confirmations :p, would the 675 be a good choice for me? As I said i'm looking for a more full on sportbike compared to my previous rides, and I love how the 675 has that great low and midrange much like a twin. I test rode one at the local dealership a couple years ago and was really impressed with that. I know the ride height is a little high for me (I'm 5ft 10in, 170lb, 30/32 jean size) I can just barely get the balls of my feet down and the clip ons are a little low for me which are two of the three mods I wanted to do to make it more comfortable. So knowing I'd want to do that, would the 675 still be a great choice compared to say the GSXR-750 k6? As I said I wanna try doing a few trackdays a year plus streetriding. I realize i'm probably in a bit of a biased place but I trust that I will get honest opinions. Any insights that anyone has would be great!!

Sorry again for the lengthy explanation but I've been wanting a new ride for so long and i'm getting antsy cause I know riding season will be here before I know it so I get on a role when I talk about this stuff!! Thank you so much again everyone!!:thumbup:

·
Banned
365 Posts
*eyes bleeding*
You wont find much gixxer sympathy in here.
I've yet to meet a Daytona rider who wishes he had of brought anything else. the seat/ride height issue is common and if you do a search you will see how easily it can be dealt with.
Nobody wants a 2nd hand gixxer m8.
Good Luck

·
Registered
601 Posts
i think you'll find that the 675 is plenty of a "step up" from the 650 in that it has alot more power/ aggressive ergos. And if you get one theres no doubt in my mind that you'll love it

That said, the gsxr is quite a bit faster, easier to get spares and, at least around where I live, probably cheaper second hand.

however as said above maybe buyer beware a bit more on a second hand gsxr as it tends to be a bit of a squid magnet.

either way, can't really go TOO wrong. follow your dream OP

·
Registered
437 Posts
from what i have read/seen i would say that a Daytona is going to be better treated by their owners whereas the gixxer crowd are going to do a lot of dumb riding to their bikes and will really beat the hell out of them.

but parts are going to be cheaper.

what i keep reading is about how when you get a Triumph you are getting a motorcycle that has a "soul". everything just feels right and the people are often more passionate about the Triumphs than i see most of the gixxer crowd.

and lowering should be a breeze. check out the correction plates in a search and you will see some cool stuff...

·
Registered
509 Posts
where are you at for gxers to be "elusive"?

·
BOTM Marshall
3,511 Posts
where are you at for gxers to be "elusive"?
haha yeah, I was thinking the same

Dude, don't lower the bike. I'm 5 foot 5 inches and have no problems with it.
How much time do you spend on the bike while it isn't moving?:biggrinjester:

·
Registered
4,464 Posts

Yeah, no need to lower it. I'm 5'7" with no shoes on and I touch the ground easily. I am in the same boat with you as far as stock rearsets being too low. A mod I will be doing soon also.

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
4<3 :thumbup:

·
Registered
434 Posts
If you were to only be using this bike for track as a Race bike, then I would say get the GSXR. The inline 4 will be quicker in the high rev's that you'll use at the track. Plus like several other members have stated, parts are cheaper if and when you go down. However if you are going to use your bike double duty (street, and track), then this bike will do just fine. You'll enjoy the low end around town and on back roads. The Tona will hold its own at the track, especially if you just plan on doing track days with it and no racing.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

haha I'm in WI, and good point, when I'm moving its not gonna matter as much. The one I test road had a TwoBro's pipe too and my kiester was getting a little warm so eventually I might want a Zard system or custom something myself. I wouldn't say they are that elusive but finding a yellow/black one to stick with the theme I had has been hard. Or the ones I find are rashed or the people want way too much for them. And I agree with all the statements above. I always thought of triumph's as an special experience and I always thought since they are a bit more exclusive that owners tend to take more care of them. And whatever I got next I wanted it to be something not every other Joe Shmoe riding a sportbike would have, so that's another reason I was looking at the 675. Plus where i am insurance is cheaper on a 675 than a GSXR. Which makes me feel even better about getting a 675. It's actually kind of a neat story cause the first bike I saw that made me want a sportbike was the Daytona 650. My dad saw that there was a Triumph dealer nearby when we moved to WI and we decided to stop in. When I saw the 650 it reminded me of an angry hornet and I liked Triumph's ever since. I think I'm going to have to start looking to get one here in the next month or two cause its getting to be that time. I've seen some good deals on here already which makes me really optimistic. I just wish that some of you were closer to WI!! :) Hopefully I can find something and officially be a part of this wonderful site!! But I thank you all for the insight, I hope to be a fellow Triumph owner soon!

·
Registered
4,464 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
4 is less than 3

or 3 is greater than 4

cylinder wise :laugh:
Haha as much as I hate math, that is some good sound numbers that I can follow :)

One other thing I was curious about is maintenance, is there any real difference in regular maintenance intervals on a three cylinder compared to a four? I'd assume it being a pretty modern bike that its pretty good. Are there any common maintenance gremlins I might run into with the special 3? :)

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
As long as you check your charging system (AKA R/R), and catch it on time if it fails, which will be replaced with a good one under warraanty, you'll be just fine, my Daytona runs like clockwork, smoothest bike I ever had, and my R/R is stille like new, so I'll touch my wood :whistle:

On a side note, I just met a Streety owner at the gas station, coming from a SV 650, and saying he was in love with the Streety :coolgleamA:

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
As long as you check your charging system (AKA R/R), and catch it on time if it fails, which will be replaced with a good one under warraanty, you'll be just fine, my Daytona runs like clockwork, smoothest bike I ever had, and my R/R is stille like new, so I'll touch my wood :whistle:

On a side note, I just met a Streety owner at the gas station, coming from a SV 650, and saying he was in love with the Streety :coolgleamA:
Thanks for the info, I'll remember that once the day comes when a 675 is sitting in my garage :).

Haha and in reply to your side note, if you mean a Street Triple R I test rode one a couple times at the local dealer and that it was fantatsic but they are a bit out of my price range, I know I could get the regular one too but I'd rather have the up spec suspension and brakes. Plus I'd rather have something I can put race plastics on for the track. But now I'm all excited and checking everywhere I can think of that might have a 675 for sale :)!!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts