Triumph 675 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.

I'm heading off to Spain in a couple of months on my first motorcycle tour. I'm trying to get organised for what should be a great and memorable trip. However I don't want the memories to be bad ones e.g. sore wrists, fatigue etc. So I want to prepare my 675 as best as I can for the journey. Are heli bars the way forward? My wrists ache at the best of times on the bike but I put up with this on my UK spins, however this next trip will be covering a lot of miles! I'm also considering a Gel seat and a double bubble screen? Whats your opinion on these? And are there any other bits of general touring advice you can offer me?

I've already purchased some of that great luggage on the Kriega Group buy a few months ago, so I've got my tail pack(US30), and R35 backpack and a triumph Tank Bag sorted.

Thanks guys, and be safe, JP.:grin:

·
Junior Race Sponsor & mid sized cone head
4,226 Posts
Hi all.

I'm heading off to Spain in a couple of months on my first motorcycle tour. I'm trying to get organised for what should be a great and memorable trip. However I don't wan't the memories to be bad ones e.g. sore wrists, fatigue etc. So I want to prepare my 675 as best as I can for the journey. Are heli bars the way forward? My wrists ache at the best of times on the bike but I put up wit this on my UK spins, however this next trip will be covering a lot of miles! I'm also considering a Gel seat and a double bubble screen? Whats your opinion on these? And are there any other bits of general touring advice you can offer me?

I've already purchased some of that great luggage on the Kriega Group buy a few months ago, so I've got my tail pack(US30), and R35 backpack and a triumph Tank Bag sorted.

Helibars are worthwhile. Gel might be, I don't have one. If you are doing an extreme ride, checkout sites like IronButt for suggestions: http://www.ironbutt.com/about/default.cfm

·
Registered
291 Posts
Helibars are getting fitted on mine on Tuesday coming. Gell Seat is definitly worth it. And the Double Bubble screen, any type (i got the Aero screen from Triumph) works a treat, can get tucked in comfortably with them and also when at slower speeds it does break the wind thats hitting your chest.

The rest of my comfort stuff im putting on are adjustable rear sets, steering damper, and pazzo levers, i think this will give me the best overall comfort on long rides and gives me better adjustability for anything i want to do.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good tips guys and that ironbutt site is awesome.
Gonna keep my eyes on ebay for a bit and hopefully get some good bargains! Can't afford to pay full price for these items as it puts a big dent in my holiday budget. Thanks for your replies. JP

·
Registered
291 Posts
To be honest, youd probably find a lot of daytona stuff from the US considerably cheaper compared to the UK even including shipping. Got all my stuff, Gilles Rear Sets, Pitbull Steering Damper, Pazzo Levers, and Heli Bars, for just under £700 i think it was, compared to buying them over here, including the rediculous shipping rates, even with VAT off! (I live in the Channel Islands).

Anyway, sorry, compared to i think it would have cost me around £300 for the Gilles Rear Sets, about £110 for the Pazzo Levers, I could only find a GPR V4 Steering Damper and i think that would have set me back around £250 to £300 and the Heli Bars were around £150 to £200. So in total over here would have cost me over £900 quid including shipping!

·
Registered
12 Posts
If you find you suffer pins and needles / stiffness etc on long rides then the Heli bars will definitely be worth the money:thumbsup:. I have them on all the time; won't ever be reverting back to stock.
If you need them but really can't afford the cost:piggy: (and don't mind how it looks:bigshades:!) you could turn the bars upside down for the journey:hmm:?!!!
As for gel seat - I don't have one and haven't found the need for it either...I've got plenty of my own padding to suffice!:whistle:
Have a great time.:grin:

·
Resident Heckler & Deserter
6,434 Posts
I have all 3: Heli-Bars, Gel Seat, and ZG Double Bubble.

That is in order of usefulness.

The ZG windscreen sucks for someone taller like me -- it basically shifted the wind from my chest to my helmet, which makes it louder with more buffeting. Quite annoying to say the least... At least it looks cool in Dark Smoke...

The gel seat is nice -- it wasn't a HUGE improvement over the stocker, but it WAS an improvement nonetheless. It also looks much cooler. I have the belief that the bonier your ass, the better the Gel Seat is for you.

Now, the Heli-Bars make a HUGE difference. At first the bike feels a bit odd, but I like it much better now. Much more comfortable, and the bike is even more tossable because of the added leverage. The downside that I don't like is the increased vibration (they are solid bars) -- it makes my hands go numb sometimes if I hold too tightly. But still worth it IMHO.

:thumbup:

·
Registered
6,232 Posts
Hi all.

I'm heading off to Spain in a couple of months on my first motorcycle tour. I'm trying to get organised for what should be a great and memorable trip. However I don't want the memories to be bad ones e.g. sore wrists, fatigue etc. So I want to prepare my 675 as best as I can for the journey. Are heli bars the way forward? My wrists ache at the best of times on the bike but I put up with this on my UK spins, however this next trip will be covering a lot of miles! I'm also considering a Gel seat and a double bubble screen? Whats your opinion on these? And are there any other bits of general touring advice you can offer me?

For starters, ditch the backpack (or strap it onto the tail). The added weight on your back/shoulders will put some extra strain on your wrists, not to mention the added wind resistance. Simply put, a backpack will just get you fatigued faster.

Change seating positions often. The ass gets sore from sitting in one position too long. Sit on one cheek for 10 minutes, the other for 10 minutes, etc... After a few hundred miles it becomes so routine you don't even notice it.

Gel seat and double bubble would help if you have the funds to do it. I didn't, so I toured with the stock clip-ons, stock windscreen, and stock seat. Honestly it was in no way uncomfortable (but I also have a large fatty deposit on what should be my ass).

Bring tools, and phone numbers. Extra oil if your bike burns oil, and extra coolant just in case.

Thats all I can think of right now, if you have any questions don't hesitate to pm me :)

·
Registered
291 Posts
What i have found that helps is to also move your foot position a few times so your legs dont go dead holding onto the tank. I usually change my foot position from the normal way to putting my feet right back and just tippy toeing on the back footpeg, makes it more comfortable and gets you moving your legs a bit so those dont get tired.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have the belief that the bonier your ass, the better the Gel Seat is for you..
Don't worry, none taken...:laugh: Gel seat was the best buy I made!

Toured a fair bit,my top tips;

1. Avoid wearing rucksacks or back packs; they restrict movement so much you can get in a lot of pain after a long distance.

2. Enjoy 'The Journey'. You're on the best bike in the world :coolgleamA:, enjoy the journey don't just reach a destination. Look at the maps, don't aim for the shortest motorway route. Mix it up, some motorway, then some scenic A roads even towns, bit more motorway etc.

3. Take all day to get there. Aim to stop along the route, not just for fuel. Break the day up, refreshes body and mind. Look to stop around a general area or time, then wait and choose what looks nice when you see it. This is where the back roads are better then homogenised motorway services :gettingsick:

4. Take out good breakdown cover. You want to relax all the way. No matter how reliable or new your bike is, it's a holiday, you wan't peace of mind, you don't want one diesel spill to turn it into a nightmare. NOTE: check it covers you personally and repatriates your bike should something happen to you; roll your ankle off a kerb sightseeing, end up with a leg in plaster and you ain't going to be riding your bike anywhere for 6 weeks. Haven't done it for a while but Europe assist used to be good. :itsok:

5. Most Important - Enjoy it. Touring on a bike is the best. You get to meet the wierdest people and experience the journey like you never can in a car or worst still a coach. :ack2:

Hey ShnikeJSB "Does my bum look big in these leathers?"

·
Registered
57 Posts
hellibars, gell seat and skidmarks screen.

Hi

I have all 3 , helibars, gell seat and skidmarks screen.

The seat is slightly better than stock but not a huge improvement.

The helibars are great, we went to Le Mans last year and the bike was fine. The bars do make a big difference although at first they feel strange as you suddenly have even more turn in than normal. They are also much better at low speed.

The screen is also better but it all depends on your height.

If I had to buy just one it would be the helibars no contest.

I see you have another thread about buying them, I 'might' be selling my 675 and if so would have the accessories for sale but its only a might at the moment, but if I make a decision I'll put up a posting on the forum.
(also have crash bungs,chain guard, shark cans and seat hump)

·
Registered
57 Posts
I also have a R35 kreiga and it was all I took to france, its ok on the motorways but got a bit tiring on smaller roads so I'd suggest you get bike based luggage.

I found some offical 675 panniers on ebay and they seem to fit ok just not overly secure as they only fix plaster clips which any tike could remove in seconds.

Tank bags are ok but they stop you getting down on the tank, only mention this as it rained all the way back and being sat up over a tank bag my mate got soaked.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.