Triumph 675 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this may be the wrong place to post since I don't have a trip to report (yet!), but it seemed the most appropriate. :thumbup:

My wife and I like to take a trip on the motorcycles each year for our anniversary (around Memorial Day). Last year we had a great time in the NW portion of Arkansas, and while the scenery was breath-taking almost everywhere we looked, the roads were really good (especially compared to MS!) but weren't quite what we'd seen in the TN / NC area. From all accounts the riding in Northern Georgia is as good or better and with less traffic than say the area around The Dragon, so N. GA is our general destination this year.

What I'm looking for is advice anyone can give on the area: best roads to hit, must-see sites, places to avoid, where to stay, etc. About the only thing I *know* we want to do while we're there is make another trip to Deal's Gap ... which should be no problem as it's relatively close to the GA line. So yeah, once we have some feedback we can take a look at all the suggestions on the map and come up with a plan of attack. :nod: Thanks in advance for the input!

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
there are many good routes in the north ga region, i had a few routes that i occasionally take that i had saved on google maps, but i think its on my other computer. anyway, there arent a whole lot of roads to avoid if you are just up there to enjoy the roads and scenery. there has been a rise in police presence up there. my best suggestion would be to avoid being up there on the weekend. go during the weekdays if you can. there are many campgrounds up there to accomodate you as well. and be sure to visit helen, ga. good place for restaraunts and to kick back and enjoy a beer and a good meal. kind of a tourist spot.

ill try and find some of the routes i used to run.

·
Registered
516 Posts
I would recommend the suches loop. Google it and a map of the loop wil be easy to find. The best day/time to run it is sunday before noon. the mountian will be all yours for a few hours, but the traffic is never to bad to ride. There are sections that are two lane on one side that allow you to to get pretty aggressive. The "wolf creek" side you can get as funky as you have nerve in the right conditions. It is a fun ride with some great scenery, good roads and at times can be very challenging even at a slower pace.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cool, thanks for the input. I know we've had friends stay in or near Suches so I'll bet they've done that loop. However long we stay, the majority of the trip will be during the week so hopefully traffic won't be an issue. Hopefully LEOs won't either, but we're generally pretty sane on the street ... save it for the track, right? lol

·
Registered
516 Posts
Cool, thanks for the input. I know we've had friends stay in or near Suches so I'll bet they've done that loop. However long we stay, the majority of the trip will be during the week so hopefully traffic won't be an issue. Hopefully LEOs won't either, but we're generally pretty sane on the street ... save it for the track, right? lol
Yeah during the week you will have plenty freedom from cadgers. I mentioned the wolf creek side in my last post. If you wanna get funky that's the place to do it. It seem the local and gsp only hit a certain 4 mile section when there is an accident. Its a very popular place for the sportbikes to gather and they leave us alone as long as we stay on our bikes. As for "save it for the track"..... I'm not gonna lie fore some reason I can do things on that little 4mi stretch, that I can and will hesitate to do on the track. If you do go there pm me and I will give you the best direction I can to my favorite spots, I may even be heading up there. It doesn't take much arm twisting for me I love that place.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I'll second SuperDave's remarks - midweek should be good, and the Suches Loop's a must if you're in the area. Another excellent loop nearly adjacent to it is to take 129/74 over towards Helen and hit 348 North over Hogpen Gap (Richard Russell scenic hwy) then east on 180 to 17 and back south over Unicoi Gap into Helen. Be sure to detour up Spur 180 to the summit of Brasstown Bald, the highest point in GA. Also, Hwy 60 which forms a part of the Suches Loop is great heading up to Morganton/Blue Ridge, from where you can hit 68 up into TN and catch the Cherohala Skyway out of Tellico Plains over to the Dragon.

Do be aware that the GSP can get pretty serious and the state has a nasty super speeder law in force now. Last time I rode down (from Chattanooga) I was having lunch at TWO and saw a helicopter in the distance, then heard sirens. The chopper disappeared, then reappeared sirens blasting, low over the road chasing some poor dude on a ratty fighter. It was a GSP chopper, followed by, count 'em, FIVE GSP cars with lights blazing in pure LA slow chase mode - that dude knew he was going to jail, he just couldn't bring himself to stop. Everyone at TWO had a nervous laugh at that guy's expense, whereafter I headed over Hogpen (gingerly), only to meet yet another trooper coming my way followed by a wrecker with a shiny Ducati on back and it's rider in the trooper's car. Bit of a mood-killer to say the least, so I pointed my bike north and got the heck out of there. Mind it was a weekend and in peak leaf-looker season so that was a worst-case scenario. Be prudent and you'll be fine; super area to be on a bike.

Have fun!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the great info guys; I'm making notes so we can take a look at all these roads / areas on the map at once to determine where we want to go. I know we have friends that have stayed at TWO and another set that goes to High Valley Resort (I think that's the name) a couple times a year and we'll probably spend at least a couple nights at one of those two places since it sounds like that'll be in the center of many of the roads mentioned. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts