Triumph 675 Forums banner

Concealed Carry

• Concealed Carry Available

Votes: 35 72.9%
  • Only Available to Specific Individuals (Law Enforcement/Military)

Votes: 6 12.5%
  • No concealed Carry

Votes: 3 6.3%
  • Who cares?

Votes: 4 8.3%
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, some of the other gun threads got me thinking and makes me curious as to what the gun laws are like in other Countries, and really other states of the US the laws differ greatly.

To start, Idaho is one of the more gun-friendly states in the US. Pretty easy to get any kind of firearm, you can have pretty much whatever you want. Full auto, short barrels and suppressors are to be had easily, the only hurdle is the Federal portion, paying for and waiting for the approval as they take their sweet ass time. But you can go into any gun shop and walk out 15 minutes later with a rifle/shotgun/handgun as long as you are ok on your quickie background check that they do. As far as I know, the most lenient state in the US is Montana. Pretty easy to get a concealed carry permit as well, just take a quick class and file the application and your good.

As a LEO I can pretty much carry concealed nationwide with the exception of federal buildings and most national parks, although apparently they are working to make it ok to carry in the parks.

http://apps.carryconcealed.net/legal/index.php

·
Registered
4,464 Posts
AZ is pretty gun friendly for right now. Same deal, able to walk in and get a background check done and within 15-20 minutes you can walk out with any type of firearm. The law to conceal carry right now is pretty hazy to me but as I interpret, 21 years old with no felonies or violent crimes and you can conceal carry. All the gun shops here highly recommend that you take the class though just in case you have to draw your weapon. Always a good thing to CYA!

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
AZ is pretty gun friendly for right now. Same deal, able to walk in and get a background check done and within 15-20 minutes you can walk out with any type of firearm. The law to conceal carry right now is pretty hazy to me but as I interpret, 21 years old with no felonies or violent crimes and you can conceal carry. All the gun shops here highly recommend that you take the class though just in case you have to draw your weapon. Always a good thing to CYA!
Yeah, most likely you can't carry it concealed without a permit and that requires a class and an application process usually. You can carry any weapon you want open carry as per your constitutional rights, but I can't say it won't draw a bit of attention to you. Kind of defeats the purpose of carrying a firearm to begin with IMO. About the only time I carry openly is when I hunt and carry blatantly on my belt while actually hunting. But I can imagine in Mexic...er...Arizona they would be passing out guns to every law abiding citizen that wanted one these days. A good practice as far as I am concerned. :thumbup:

·
Registered
260 Posts
indiana is awfully gun-friendly, just ask any number of the semi-legal militias running around this state. the one facet of their gun legislation that i LOVE is you have the option to purchase a concealed carry permit for a couple hundred bucks that NEVER expires. that's pretty sweet.

·
Registered
5,462 Posts
"And now, to compare and contrast: Australia."

I own firearms as a hangover of a childhood spent growing up in the country, nailing bunny rabbits and foxes, as well as pest birds in my Dad's orchard. It's one of the very few things in life I seem to have a natural feel for: I can go out today after not shooting for years and start sending MOA groups down the range reasonably promptly. I hardly shoot any more these days as I simply don't have time.

I can't speak for every state and I'm no expert, but even back when I was a lad in South Oz, to get your firearms licence, which you need to make a purchase, you needed to sit a written test.

I understand that these days you need to do a TAFE (Technical and Further Education) course, so it's become more difficult again.

Years ago, my pride and joy was a lovely little tuned-up Ruger 10/22. Lovely rabbit rifle. Those days are gone. If you want a semi-auto in any calibre at all, you'll need to prove that you are a primary producer (farmer) with special needs. Not easy.

I lost my 10/22 in the Howard gun buy back following the Port Arthur tragedy. Things have been a lot tougher since Port Arthur.

Once you've passed your licence test these days, you choose from firearms in 5 categories;

A) Air rifles, paintball guns, .22 rimfires (no semi autos) and single or double barrel shotguns (no autos or pumps)

B) Muzzle loaders, revolving chamber centrefires, bolt centrefires, break action shotgun/rifle combos.

C) Self-loading rimfire rifles (mag capacity not above 10 rounds) self loading shotguns (mag capacity not greater than 5 rounds)

D) Self loading rimfires with a mag capacity of more than 10 rounds, self loading shotguns with a mag capacity over 5 rounds, pump shotguns with a mag capacity over 5 rounds.

H) All handguns including air pistols.

Once you have your licence, classes A and B are a walk in the park. You can pretty much forget classes C and D ... these are only listed to tease you, unless you own a 1200 acre farm with an infestation of wild pigs.

Class H? Be prepared to jump through lots of hoops, including showing signed evidence of a minimum number of pistol club events attended every year.

Every firearm of any type that you purchase is subject to a waiting period, usually 30 days. Even if you want an air rifle, you show up at the shop, show your licence, pay your money and fill out some forms, then wait for your "permission to collect" documents to show up in the post.

You MUST have a gun safe and prove that you have one. Firearms MUST be stored in the locked safe, with bolts and ammo stored in a separate locked container. No exceptions. Handguns go to an extra level; special safes and ammo storage.

None of this actually really bothers me, although I do miss my Ruger. The fact that I even still own firearms is simply a sign of my bloody-minded refusal to give them up at a time when the Prime Minister wanted me to. That, and I know that as my kids get older and I get more free time, I will again get to do a bit of shooting.

The worst part? Random checks. I'll tell you why.

A year or so ago, two cops showed up at my doorstep on a Saturday morning. Random check time.

The problem? I normally go for a ride on my D675 every Saturday morning. When my wife answered the door, programmed as she is that I was out on the bike, what do you think her first reaction to seeing two cops was? Of course ... the poor woman nearly died for the 2 seconds it took her to remember that I was at my brother's place, not out on the bike like I'd normally be. Not nice.

They waited for me to return, than checked through my safe, ticking off what was in there and how it was stored. Everything, of course, checked out. Had I been called in for dinner or whatever the night before half way through one of my cartridge reloading sessions, things may have been different.

I have a farmer mate with a 1200 square kilometre sheep station that I'm allowed to visit any time - on the onus that in my time on the station camping, 4WD'ing and exploring, I always make at least one big effort to lower the bunny and fox population. I want my access to that property in particular to continue, so I keep my rifles.

My favourite is a Tikka .17 Remington. On a still day that rifle shoots perfectly flat to 250 metres or so. I like to set up my swag overlooking a distant bunny warren, make myself some tea, read a book, and in between chapters, check out the warren and take a shot or two. I enjoy precision shooting, and with the Tikka a miss is always a clean miss, but a hit is one more bunny vaporised - nothing inhumane about that.

So there you go. I've probably missed a thing or two, but that's firearms ownership in one state of Australia. I suspect having such restrictions would cause rioting on the streets in the US of A, but that's how it works here.

O.B

(EDIT - almost forgot - "concealed carry". Um, no. Never. Not under any circumstances, ever, anywhere. Can't even imagine it. But then seriously, I have never, not once, been in a situation where I felt I'd need it. I know, I know, "but it's that one time that you do that you'll wish you had." Nah. I know that we're no perfect Utopia, and I know that the gun laws over here haven't fixed everything, but per head of population, gun crime is still a relative rarity here. A shooting on the streets here is still very much a big, newsworthy deal - it hardly ever happens.)

·
Registered
260 Posts
umm wow that's rough. the fuzz is really up your asses in the great down under. random home visits? that would be met with more than mild distaste here, that's for sure. haha, we like guns so much they're our second most important amendment to our constitution hahaha. shout out to britain for pissing us off so long ago!

"And now, to compare and contrast: Australia."

I own firearms as a hangover of a childhood spent growing up in the country, nailing bunny rabbits and foxes, as well as pest birds in my Dad's orchard. It's one of the very few things in life I seem to have a natural feel for: I can go out today after not shooting for years and start sending MOA groups down the range reasonably promptly. I hardly shoot any more these days as I simply don't have time.

I can't speak for every state and I'm no expert, but even back when I was a lad in South Oz, to get your firearms licence, which you need to make a purchase, you needed to sit a written test.

I understand that these days you need to do a TAFE (Technical and Further Education) course, so it's become more difficult again.

Years ago, my pride and joy was a lovely little tuned-up Ruger 10/22. Lovely rabbit rifle. Those days are gone. If you want a semi-auto in any calibre at all, you'll need to prove that you are a primary producer (farmer) with special needs. Not easy.

I lost my 10/22 in the Howard gun buy back following the Port Arthur tragedy. Things have been a lot tougher since Port Arthur.

Once you've passed your licence test these days, you choose from firearms in 5 categories;

A) Air rifles, paintball guns, .22 rimfires (no semi autos) and single or double barrel shotguns (no autos or pumps)

B) Muzzle loaders, revolving chamber centrefires, bolt centrefires, break action shotgun/rifle combos.

C) Self-loading rimfire rifles (mag capacity not above 10 rounds) self loading shotguns (mag capacity not greater than 5 rounds)

D) Self loading rimfires with a mag capacity of more than 10 rounds, self loading shotguns with a mag capacity over 5 rounds, pump shotguns with a mag capacity over 5 rounds.

H) All handguns including air pistols.

Once you have your licence, classes A and B are a walk in the park. You can pretty much forget classes C and D ... these are only listed to tease you, unless you own a 1200 acre farm with an infestation of wild pigs.

Class H? Be prepared to jump through lots of hoops, including showing signed evidence of a minimum number of pistol club events attended every year.

Every firearm of any type that you purchase is subject to a waiting period, usually 30 days. Even if you want an air rifle, you show up at the shop, show your licence, pay your money and fill out some forms, then wait for your "permission to collect" documents to show up in the post.

You MUST have a gun safe and prove that you have one. Firearms MUST be stored in the locked safe, with bolts and ammo stored in a separate locked container. No exceptions. Handguns go to an extra level; special safes and ammo storage.

None of this actually really bothers me, although I do miss my Ruger. The fact that I even still own firearms is simply a sign of my bloody-minded refusal to give them up at a time when the Prime Minister wanted me to. That, and I know that as my kids get older and I get more free time, I will again get to do a bit of shooting.

The worst part? Random checks. I'll tell you why.

A year or so ago, two cops showed up at my doorstep on a Saturday morning. Random check time.

The problem? I normally go for a ride on my D675 every Saturday morning. When my wife answered the door, programmed as she is that I was out on the bike, what doi you think her fisrt reaction to seeing two cops was? Of course ... the poor woman nearly died for the 2 seconds it took her to remember that I was at my brother's place, not out on the bike like I'd normally be. Not nice.

They waited for me to return, than checked through my safe, ticking off what was in there and how it was stored. Everything, of course, checked out. Had I been called in for dinner or whatever the night before half way through one of my cartridge reloading sessions, things may have been different.

I have a farmer mate with a 1200 square kilometre sheep station that I'm allowed to visit any time - on the onus that in my time on the station camping, 4WD'ing and exploring, I always make at least one big effort to lower the bunny and fox population. I want my access to that property in particular to continue, so I keep my rifles.

My favourite is a Tikka .17 Remington. On a still day that rifle shoots perfectly flat to 250 metres or so. I like to set up my swag overlooking a distant bunny warren, make myself some tea, read a book, and in between chapters, check out the warren and take a shot or two. I enjoy precision shooting, and with the Tikka a miss is always a clean miss, but a hit is one more bunny vaporised - nothing inhumane about that.

So there you go. I've probably missed a thing or two, but that's firearms ownership in one state of Australia. I suspect having such restrictions would cause rioting on the streets in the US of A, but that's how it works here.

O.B

(EDIT - almost forgot - "concealed carry". Um, no. Never. Not under any circumstances, ever, anywhere. Can't even imagine it. But then seriously, I have never, not once, been in a situation where I felt I'd need it. I know, I know, "but it's that one time that you do that you'll wish you had." Nah. I know that we're no perfect Utopia, and I know that the gun laws over here haven't fixed everything, but per head of population, gun crime is still a relative rarity here. A shooting on the streets here is still very much a big, newsworthy deal - it hardly ever happens.)

·
Registered
169 Posts
the whole random check thing completely boggles my mind.

living in California means semi auto only and a 10 round maximum in any magazine. Carrying a concealed weapon (like say a pocket knife in your pocket, or a baseball bat in your car's trunk) is basically the fastest way to find yourself in jail. Laws are pretty specific about how firearms are to be stored and transported, and if you're building anything, say an AR-15. Pretty sure there are caliber restrictions as well. ie, you have to be somebody (military/ police) to own a .50.

However, it's pretty standard for LEOs to carry a concealed secondary, and I believe you can apply for a concealed weapons permit, but you pretty much have to be a private investigator/ private security, or a have recently survived a brutal rape.

edit: It is legal to carry any registered weapon on your person so long as you follow the rules, (bolt action rifles have to be bolt open, clip can't be in pistol, etc) but you can bet your sweet behind portions that you wouldn't make it far without causing mass panic and involved in a loosing discussion with the local PD.

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
umm wow that's rough. the fuzz is really up your asses in the great down under. random home visits? that would be met with more than mild distaste here, that's for sure. haha, we like guns so much they're our second most important amendment to our constitution hahaha. shout out to britain for pissing us off so long ago!
You can thank our forefathers for that big fat gift that keeps on giving. :thumbup:

·
Registered
216 Posts

living in California means semi auto only and a 10 round maximum in any magazine. Carrying a concealed weapon (like say a pocket knife in your pocket, or a baseball bat in your car's trunk) is basically the fastest way to find yourself in jail. Laws are pretty specific about how firearms are to be stored and transported, and if you're building anything, say an AR-15. Pretty sure there are caliber restrictions as well. ie, you have to be somebody (military/ police) to own a .50.

However, it's pretty standard for LEOs to carry a concealed secondary, and I believe you can apply for a concealed weapons permit, but you pretty much have to be a private investigator/ private security, or a have recently survived a brutal rape.

edit: It is legal to carry any registered weapon on your person so long as you follow the rules, (bolt action rifles have to be bolt open, clip can't be in pistol, etc) but you can bet your sweet behind portions that you wouldn't make it far without causing mass panic and involved in a loosing discussion with the local PD.
You can't carry a pocketknife in cali?! If I don't have mine on me I feel like I'm nekked lol. Wallet, keys, phone, knife. (only about a 2 inch blade, but uber handy)

---

NYC: No weapons without permits from NYPD
NY state: No clips over 10, no fully autos, pistols by permit only, carry conceal only by special permit. The application for a pistol permit involves a class (50 bucks), 3 character references in your town or county (depending on the area), an interview, a passport photo, and more money (20 bucks). Registering a gun to it is 3 bucks per pistol. The whole process takes about 6 months.

Long guns are easier. I can be out the door in 30 minutes after a few forms and a background check.

Its tough and expensive. I've been pushing it off because of the cost of it + pistol. It'd be fun to have one and shoot, but I'm more into practical guns for hunting. Plus I still need a bow....

·
Registered
769 Posts
Here in New Mexico, it's a pretty gun friendly state. There is open carry, concealed carry needs so many hours of class time and a qualify shoot.Then pay the state so much $ and pass the FBI background check. A couple of laws are up for vote in senate to expand some of the carry laws(where you can carry) and to get rid of the mid term re-qualify shoot. Also to allow more then one gun to be carried at a time.
License is for 4years 2 year re-qualify.

Once upon a time you could just go out to the mesa and do your shooting, but a couple of years back they made it illegal. I've been a member at a club for a while now so it works out for me. There are private ranges and city/county ranges as well.

I'm an FFl, sell out of the house to make a few extra bucks. Standard 4473 form must be filled out and called into NICS for the background check. So as long as your not a criminal or mental you can legally own a firearm and of course 18 years old for rifle and 21 years old for hand gun.

·
Registered
566 Posts

Actualy a concealed carry permit isnt hard to get, It is just difficult to find a place where it is actualy legal to carry that weapon concealed. in most cities you cant carry in city limits, that just leaves the county areas.

But it is a huge differance from here and back in Indiana. Indiana you can basicly do as you wish, here you have to question everything you do with a gun to make sure its legal.

·
Registered
5,462 Posts
Here in New Mexico, it's a pretty gun friendly state. There is open carry, concealed carry needs so many hours of class time and a qualify shoot.Then pay the state so much $ and pass the FBI background check. A couple of laws are up for vote in senate to expand some of the carry laws(where you can carry) and to get rid of the mid term re-qualify shoot. Also to allow more then one gun to be carried at a time.
This, by far, is my favourite.

Because what's the only thing better than carrying one gun for self protection? Carrying two, of course!

Hang on, what's better than carrying two guns? Carrying a minigun! And what's better than carrying a mi .......

O.B

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
This, by far, is my favourite.

Because what's the only thing better than carrying one gun for self protection? Carrying two, of course!

Hang on, what's better than carrying two guns? Carrying a minigun! And what's better than carrying a mi .......

O.B
I can't honestly say I am sure if you can carry more than one weapon concealed with a CCW in Idaho. :hmm:

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You want to look into that right away, Dub, and if you're not allowed to carry two, speak to your Congressman.

In fact while you're at it, go for three. You can't be too sure!

O.B
Honestly, I don't think there is a limit. If you can conceal it, you can carry it. :laugh:

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
In France, concealed carry = plain clothes cops and the like, with a few exceptions, I guess.

We didn't even need guns to overthrow tyranny, back in the days :whistle:

·
Registered
169 Posts
You can't carry a pocketknife in cali?! If I don't have mine on me I feel like I'm nekked lol. Wallet, keys, phone, knife. (only about a 2 inch blade, but uber handy)
no, knives are fine totally fine. different length restrictions depending on whether it's folding blade or solid. it just has to be on a clip that keeps it visible at the top of your pocket.

really it's not a problem for 99% of people, just trouble makers.

·
Registered
631 Posts
New Zealand is much like Australia, and you can't carry a knife unless it's a Swiss Army knife sort of length.
The hoops you have to jump thru to get a gun licence are a nightmare.
It's illegal to carry a concealed weapon and also to carry a displayed one!
Kinda covered the options there…

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.