Triumph 675 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was riding and had the green light at a stop light. A young girl turned right on a red light and cut me off. I wasn't mad because people make mistakes, I got up next to her and rev'd my engine a couple times to get her attention. I motioned with my hands for her to open her eyes, she gave me one of those valley girl head bobs blowing me off. REALLY? her attitude is that bad? she almost seriously hurt me. I didn't flip her off like I should've, i didn't motion like I was gonna murder her. I was polite! F#ck her. I just need to vent a little. Looking back I should've followed her and talked to her and tried to make her feel bad, so the next time she will actually look before she goes.

·
Registered
601 Posts
almost the exact same thing happened to my buddy who is well connected in the police department, he pulled over and made a call. Apparently the cops showed up at her house later and "yelled at her so bad her parents cried"

sucks bro be careful

·
Registered
186 Posts
sry to hear that. glad no crash happened. but that's nothing. yesterday a middle eastern guy gave me the finger for cutting ME off. i pulled up next to him at the red light and told him he needed to learn the right of way. immediately he gave me a racial slur! really? in this day and age? i was little mad so i just told him to F himself. what else could i do? i could drag him out of his car and beat him with my metal knuckles. but then i would've been arrested. so i just let it go.

·
Registered
169 Posts
it's a serious pisser. that exact scenario happens to me all the time at an intersection near my house. it can be hard to keep a level head and not do anything stupid. props for doing right dude :thumbup:

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You don't get cut off like that every single day???
just started riding again. had to recover from some surgeries from unrelated stuff. Yea it will happen again, usually the person at least makes a face like they know what they did is wrong and a little apologetic.

Yea, def don't pull the person out of the car and beat them. It may feel good at the time but it will come back to you. Also, you never know if that person may be a pro boxer or cop or something like that.

I just needed to vent a little.

·
Registered
4,167 Posts
Had that happen before too, but here's the thing...

When things like that happen, the reason they cut you off is (let's give people the benefit of the doubt) because they didn't see you coming. We're less visible, that's just a fact. So if they didn't see you coming... And if they didn't happen to see you in their rear view mirror after they cut you off... To them you're just randomly pulling up next to them and revving like mad. I'd roll my eyes too.

I've come to realize, after having that exact thing happen, that the only effective thing is to immediately hold the horn for a second or so, so that if they didn't see you, they sure do then. Usually I get the "sorry" wave from that.

Not defending people that suck at driving since god knows we all hate them, I'm just saying that a lot of the time they don't realize what they did, so you trying to tell them to stop being a jackass seems unprovoked. Just gotta make sure they realize they were a jackass first, haha.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Last time I was cut off was about 5 months ago - a guy who pulled into the left turn lane then turned right. You can't do much about those, but if it happens every day you're doing something wrong.

I don't count drivers who misjudge your approach speed - that happens a lot with bikes and the answer is to pass intersections etc a little slower. For the rest, read Motorcycle Roadcraft. US riders will need to read it through a mirror. Take note of the bit about using the horn.

Rob

·
Banned
941 Posts
I was riding and had the green light at a stop light. A young girl turned right on a red light and cut me off. I wasn't mad because people make mistakes, I got up next to her and rev'd my engine a couple times to get her attention. I motioned with my hands for her to open her eyes, she gave me one of those valley girl head bobs blowing me off. REALLY? her attitude is that bad? she almost seriously hurt me. I didn't flip her off like I should've, i didn't motion like I was gonna murder her. I was polite! F#ck her. I just need to vent a little. Looking back I should've followed her and talked to her and tried to make her feel bad, so the next time she will actually look before she goes.
Seems like this is what was going through her head.......she obviously didn't see you when she cut you off, so in her mind she did nothing wrong. Then she sees some guy on a sportbike next to her revving his engine and motioning to her. I bet she thought you were trying to hit on her and bobbed her head like she was too good for you. I think the finger would have gotten the message across a lot more clearly.

·
Registered
665 Posts
+1. I dont think there was a day riding in the street that that hasnt happened to me.
seems to be happening more and more...just today i got the attention of a cager who was sitting 2 metres behind another motorcyclist...

i basically asked him if he was trying to kill someone today and if he kept tailing a motorcyclist that close that he would have a pretty good chance of doing it....

fuckers

·
Registered
5,462 Posts
When I used to ride on the road every day I reckon I was cut off or had some other sort of car-related close call at least every second or third day.

It makes you mad. I didn't have a problem with drivers who seemed apologetic - people make mistakes, maybe they will learn. But the ones that really used to piss me off are the ones who ignore you. You can ride right up to their windows and they just look through you.

My very favourite payback had nothing to do with being cut off, though. I was riding along in traffic when a guy in front in a luxury car flicked a ciggie butt out of his window. It arced up through the air, got caught on a gust ... and landed in the neck of by cordura jacket, burning the hell out of my neck. I picked out the still burning butt as I rode, rode up to the guy and flecked it back into his window. It landed right in his lap!

Cue a frenzy of flapping, swerving, and ultimately, the guy had to pull over. Hilarious.

O.B

·
Registered
3 Posts
Letting it go

In the 35 plus years I have ridden on the street , I have come to the conclusion that road rage,retaliation, and revenge against fellow road users does't accomplish anything. I tried bright clothing and apparel,leaving my high beams on in the daylight and nothing except riding defensively works. The visabilty "see and be seen" stuff has never worked for me.
kudos for just letting it go. At the end of the day we might have one less politically correct a-- hole that will hate motorcycleists and try to put a end to our fun!:laugh:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts