Triumph 675 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have an oil leak from the bottom half of the crank case. Probably needs a new gasket. Then I discovered what seems to look like a crack. It's right where the crank case halves meet. To the left and right of the pulse/timing cover. Does this look like a crack to you? Or has someone simply made a poor job with the gasket?

Before you say anything about the yellow alluminum bolts, yes I know they are horrible and I'm going to replace them.

·
Registered
96 Posts
It looks like liquid gasket residue to me. Clean up the area with gasket remover and hope for the best.

There is no particular 'stress' on this part of the crankcase so it would be an odd place to crack.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That is from sealant used at the factory when joining the case halves.:)
Looks kind of messy for being factory sealant. Same sealant is used for the entire bottom half of the crank case and I’m a bit worried that it’s the cause of the leak. In which case the engine needs to be taken apart?

Judging by the hideous aluminum bolts, it could be that the leak is coming from one of the covers. I doubt the previous owner put it new caskets when changing the bolts.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Not sure about this Daytona but on some bikes (Honda VFR for one) they want you to put some liquid gasket on certain parts of gasket, which squeezes out and makes a mess. It's also a fairly normal thing to do on stator covers where the electrical line leaves the cover.

Case crack is not the most likely thing happening here. Order a new gasket and bolt set. Take off the cover and redo it right (especially the pita of cleaning off the old gasket material). Very likely that will fix your drip.

At a minimum with the cover off you'll be able to see if anything is cracked. Hairline cracks can successfully be sealed with JB Weld.

I had a similar issue on a VFR and it was because the PO had overtightened the cover bolts and warped the cover in two places.

Use a torque wrench :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not sure about this Daytona but on some bikes (Honda VFR for one) they want you to put some liquid gasket on certain parts of gasket, which squeezes out and makes a mess. It's also a fairly normal thing to do on stator covers where the electrical line leaves the cover.

Case crack is not the most likely thing happening here. Order a new gasket and bolt set. Take off the cover and redo it right (especially the pita of cleaning off the old gasket material). Very likely that will fix your drip.

At a minimum with the cover off you'll be able to see if anything is cracked. Hairline cracks can successfully be sealed with JB Weld.

I had a similar issue on a VFR and it was because the PO had overtightened the cover bolts and warped the cover in two places.

Use a torque wrench :)
Will try that. Thank you. Relieved to hear that it’s not a crack.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Still waiting for new bolts and gaskets to arrive in the mail.
I took the bike to work this morning. I took a longer route than usual. When I arrived I could see tiny bit of oil coming from the clutch cover. No big deal. Then I went ahead checking the oil level, approximately 3 min after I switched the bike off, which was a tiny bit above the upper mark. Started to search for oil overfill threads on the forum and I checked the level again after about 20 minutes. Now the oil level was right in the middle of the upper and lower mark. How can the dipstick show less oil when checking a second time allowing the oil to go down to the oil pan?

·
Registered
96 Posts
I've had this happen on other bikes as well and never could figure it out. Maybe the oil is dripping on the dipstick or running down the sight glass.

Never panic when you see too much oil as it's usually just a temporary condition. Besides a little over isn't going to hurt anything. Most bikes have a breather valve where any excess will blow out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts