Triumph 675 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone changed the gearing on their street triple for a long trip or just because you preferred it?

If so, what did you change to and how did it go?

I may do a long trip on mine and would consider running a bigger front sprocket to gain cruiseability at highway(ish) speeds.:whistle:

·
Registered
712 Posts
i would do the rear, but thats just me. with the play the chains come with you may possible be able to go up one if not two in the rear without having to redo the chain. and the reason i say the back is because you can get a good looking rear sprocket instead of what it has on it.

·
Registered
712 Posts
nevermind change that wasnt paying attention. down one or two and still be in the adjuster on the rear swing. i read the first wrong.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cheers. A nice looking rear would be sweet. Then again it wouldn't be a permanent sprocket, just for long trips.

I suggested the front as a 1 tooth increase has the effect of reducing several teeth on the back. Going to a bigger front may need come chain mods though whereas reducing the size of the rear would just mean re-positioning adjusters as you mention.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I changed the gearing, but the other way, they're a bit sluggish on the stock gearing! I went 1 tooth smaller on the front, actually revs through all gears smoothly now.

I think you'd struggle to reach the top of 6th with the standard gearing unless you had a huge huge straight.

I wouldnt gear it any taller than it comes, it'll be very sluggish if you do.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Has anyone changed the gearing on their street triple for a long trip or just because you preferred it?

If so, what did you change to and how did it go?

I may do a long trip on mine and would consider running a bigger front sprocket to gain cruiseability at highway(ish) speeds.:whistle:
Well, if you take 6,000 rmp as "cruising", standard gearing gives you 112 kph, and adding an extra tooth to the front gives 119.4 kph, from top gear.

I guess it depends on what you'd call a long trip.

Might be worth the bother if you are going all round Oz, but if you are just talking East Coast, you'd be better off looking for more interesting roads!

BTW, I did change gearing on mine, but the other way, adding two teeth at the back, and also, with a flash rear sprocket saved a bit of spinning weight.

regards,CrazyCam

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No I don't call 6,000RPM cruising which was why I was interested. For a couple of Km/h you are right it isn't worth the effort.

Thanks for the helpful responses though guys :)

·
Registered
601 Posts
BTW, one benefit of the extra tooth front sprocket is that the speedo will then read almost accurately!

At 6,000 in top, the 112 kph is real speed, checked with GPS and extra accurate speedo, but the standard speedo is reading 120 kph.

regards,CrazyCam

·
Registered
712 Posts
not to be a downer, but on these bikes 6k is cruising. if you take it lower than that its going to begging for more power. i know i stated that you can change it, but if a machine is built for something and set to another its not going to act right.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sure, I realise that and I'm not trying to buy a bike and make it something it's not. For 99% of the time it will be great as it is, if that wasn't the case i wouldn't have bought it.

However, I am planning a long trip later this year and wondered if gearing may make crunching the miles a bit better and not have to sit at 6,000RPM all day. If the power suffers for the short term, that's not a massive issue, it's better than driving the car!

I understand that this isn't what the bike was made for, but I'm not about to buy a Harley just to do a single trip (even if it is several thousand Km's) so I'll just deal with it or make some alternative arrangements :)

·
Registered
752 Posts
I think you'll find that your bike is actually quite comfortable sitting at 6K rpm for long distances. "Cruising speed" here in California is about 130KPH and my Daytona can comfortably do that a whole lot longer than my body can, but you have an STR so fatigue won't really be a problem for you. haha. Go out and experiment.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'll do that but I don't have the bike yet! Just my observation when I intentionally took it on the freeway during the test ride.

Cheers all :)

·
Registered
601 Posts
Another BTW here......

for long trips, like 1,000 kms a day, I use and recommend push bike riding nix under your leathers or whatever.

The extra padding built in eases potential pain in the bum, and also allows you to move slightly more freely in the leathers.

regards, CrazyCam

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Cheers Cam, riding off road enduro I don't even go near my bike without a pair of them!

·
Registered
98 Posts
When I first got mine I thought 6K RPM was a tad high for cruising too.

Had it for a year now and I just love that 6K "sweet-spot". Bike is happy to sit there all day if required.

Also I found the bike is more economical when keeping the revs up a bit while cruising. If you deliberately sit at even 5.5K it uses more fuel. True story! :nod:

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
When I first got mine I thought 6K RPM was a tad high for cruising too.

Had it for a year now and I just love that 6K "sweet-spot". Bike is happy to sit there all day if required.

Also I found the bike is more economical when keeping the revs up a bit while cruising. If you deliberately sit at even 5.5K it uses more fuel. True story! :nod:
Sweet! If I ever needed an excuse that was it :rofl2:

·
Registered
253 Posts
You are correct about the 6k sweet spot. I was changing gears to quick and keeping the revs to low. Now around town I often find myself in 3rd or 4th sitting on 6k much better

·
Registered
251 Posts
Going up 1 tooth on the front will make cruising a bit more relaxed and might gave you a few extra miles to each tank of petrol. It's easy enough to downshift if you need to move a bit quickly.

Unless the adjusters are tight up you'll have less problems with chain adjustment than going down 2 or 3 teeth on the rear sprocket, and chains wear less on bigger sprockets - not that you'll see any real difference lol.

6K rpm isn't high for cruising though. I cruise my ER-6 (just sold though) at between 6K and 7K depending on what the traffic lets me do - that's about 85 - 95 mph on the ER-6 and that bike's red lined at 11K.

The engine actually gets more fuel efficient per unit of power as you move closer to the revs at which peak torque is developed, but that's offset by the increase in (aerodydnamic) load as the cube of the increase in speed. Peak torque is about 9,500 rpm?

Fatigue might be a problem if you're not used to riding long distances at speed on an unfaired bike. I'd suggest fitting the flyscreen and either the visor or the powerbronze light screen, ugly though it is.

Rob

1 - 20 of 24 Posts