Triumph 675 Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

a few days ago I dropped my 675 right side after my foot sliped out from under me on a sloping gravel embankment. Total bummer and still cant believe it happened. Anyway, the bike landed on the ground but it was a pretty soft landing as I was holding it up as best I could on the way down. Only a few scratches on the right hand side mirror, cracked lens on the right hand front indicator and very minor scuff on the righthand footrest. It started up fine after I picked it up and off I went.

The problem started soon after with difficulty finding neutral and experiencing a harsh engagement when getting into 1st. When in neutral it is also making a noticable but slight grating noise. Finding neutral going up or down the gears is now very tricky and the 1st gear harshness when engaging has not gone away.

This has bewildered me as I cant imagine the gearbox or clutch being damaged. There is not a mark on the clutch cable mechanism or any of the casings. The clutch seems to work fine.

The bike has only done about 200 klm and 1st gear was a little harsh when engaging when I first got it but I put it down to a new gearbox. The problem now is worse combined with the neutral issue.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated? Thanks in advance.

·
Junior Race Sponsor & mid sized cone head
4,226 Posts
Hi folks,

a few days ago I dropped my 675 right side after my foot sliped out from under me on a sloping gravel embankment. Total bummer and still cant believe it happened. Anyway, the bike landed on the ground but it was a pretty soft landing as I was holding it up as best I could on the way down. Only a few scratches on the right hand side mirror, cracked lens on the right hand front indicator and very minor scuff on the righthand footrest. It started up fine after I picked it up and off I went.

The problem started soon after with difficulty finding neutral and experiencing a harsh engagement when getting into 1st. When in neutral it is also making a noticable but slight grating noise. Finding neutral going up or down the gears is now very tricky and the 1st gear harshness when engaging has not gone away.

This has bewildered me as I cant imagine the gearbox or clutch being damaged. There is not a mark on the clutch cable mechanism or any of the casings. The clutch seems to work fine.

The bike has only done about 200 klm and 1st gear was a little harsh when engaging when I first got it but I put it down to a new gearbox. The problem now is worse combined with the neutral issue.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated? Thanks in advance.
When you say right side, you mean the side with the brake lever side, right side as you are sitting on it, right? :nod:

Your problem sounds like my issues I had with the shifter, because an aftermarket shifter was installed wrong and needed to be adjusted. With so few klm on the bike, maybe it is just a simple adjustment that needs to be made and really isn't related to the drop.

Maybe it is just in your mind that it is related because you know you dropped it, so maybe it isn't any worse, you just think it is. :nod:

Now if you dropped it on the right side, as you are looking at the bike, you might have bent the shifter. Hey, isn't an English bike and U'all are always on the wrong side of the road, so I thought I would give it a shot :whistle:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry about that! :nod: I mean the right hand side of the bike as your sitting on it. Not as you look at it from the front. Brake lever on the right and gear shift on the left. It landed on the brake lever side. Yeah I thought it was in my mind but the neutral is definitely harder to engage and hitting first jolts the bike much more than before. I will definitely be taking it back to the dealer as maybe the jolt has made the initial problem worse. Thanks heaps for your thoughts. :thumbsup:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.