Triumph 675 Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was installing my GB crash protectors today, (thanks Tim an adventurerers workshop) the engine case covers, and was having trouble with the gearbox cover fitting properly.

I was wondering if anyone else had this same problem putting them on, and what the solution was. It says on the packaging, that one of the corners may need to be bent slightly to fit, but im having trouble fitting the two screws on the left side. I hope someone knows what im talking about LOL.

any input is appreciated. :thumbup:

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You're not a true motorcyclist/handyman until you own and use a Dremel tool. hahaha.
:laugh:

i was about to pull the dremel out, but figured id ask before i start my own mending.

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
tried fitting it again today, i just cant seem to get her on. ive got the alternator cover, and timing cover on no problem.

the two holes on the left just dont line up, anyone else mount these yet?

·
Registered
8,111 Posts
I remember having the same problem. In all honesty, I just kept working at and after using a little elbow grease, finagling and a lot of swearing I got it to fit.
Same here. If I recall correctly, it was a very snug, form-fitting fit. If you get it lined up correctly, a good "tap" seats it into place. At least that was how it worked for me.

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for the tips guys, i got it on!

thanks to mikeisnike too for the PM, that did the trick.

just for anyone else looking to install these and is having trouble, the trick is to get the lower left part of the cover in place first. its the corner that fits super snug to the frame. its bolt #3 on the diagram that comes with the cover. :thumbup:

one other question, how close is the clutch cable to the bolt tab on your guys' covers? mine pretty much rubs right against it, just about. i may pull it off and shave it just a tad. just be safe.

thanks again guys. :cool2:

·
Surfer of the lear
2,165 Posts
thanks for the tips guys, i got it on!

thanks to mikeisnike too for the PM, that did the trick.

just for anyone else looking to install these and is having trouble, the trick is to get the lower left part of the cover in place first. its the corner that fits super snug to the frame. its bolt #3 on the diagram that comes with the cover. :thumbup:

one other question, how close is the clutch cable to the bolt tab on your guys' covers? mine pretty much rubs right against it, just about. i may pull it off and shave it just a tad. just be safe.

thanks again guys. :cool2:
Mine rubs against it too. I have no problems and I have yet to see any fraying.

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mine rubs against it too. I have no problems and I have yet to see any fraying.
good to know, just wanted to make sure.

:thumbup:

thanks again guys. the covers look great.

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thats great to know. now i just wish i had invested in them earlier. ive busted one stator cover already, and the current one has some scratches on it from another lowside. :whistle:

·
Registered
28 Posts
I bought a GB alternator cover off ebay for $30, but it didn't come with any bolts.

Does this use the stock bolts or am I going to have to source replacements? If so, anyone know the dimensions of the GB alterator cover bolts?

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Hey Louie,

sorry I didn't catch this thread earlier, but I'm glad you got it all sorted out. I kinda remembered that you needed to tuck the left side under the frame when installing it. I haven't noticed anything odd with my clutch cable either. I think if you wiggle the cover a bit while torquing down the bolts, you can buy yourself some clearance.

BTW, I hate all you southerner-types. I was just in the garage mounting my Rizoma lower chain guard and finally getting my T-Rex front stand to work and it's roughly 35 deg. F out there. And yesterday? faghetaboudit, it was in single digits here in north Jersey. Brrrr!!!

I bought a GB alternator cover off ebay for $30, but it didn't come with any bolts.

Does this use the stock bolts or am I going to have to source replacements? If so, anyone know the dimensions of the GB alterator cover bolts?
I know they're longer than stock, maybe just 5mm IIRC. I'll pull out my install papers and see if they have it listed.

Tim

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hey Louie,

sorry I didn't catch this thread earlier, but I'm glad you got it all sorted out. I kinda remembered that you needed to tuck the left side under the frame when installing it. I haven't noticed anything odd with my clutch cable either. I think if you wiggle the cover a bit while torquing down the bolts, you can buy yourself some clearance.

BTW, I hate all you southerner-types. I was just in the garage mounting my Rizoma lower chain guard and finally getting my T-Rex front stand to work and it's roughly 35 deg. F out there. And yesterday? faghetaboudit, it was in single digits here in north Jersey. Brrrr!!!

I know they're longer than stock, maybe just 5mm IIRC. I'll pull out my install papers and see if they have it listed.

Tim
haha, it sure isnt riding season yet here, but its not in the single digits either. it sucks working in a cold garage, mines not heated. the temps here are around 45 during the day, and its been in the high 20's at night. thats why i havent worked in over bout 2 months, but im a salary :biggrinjester: so its ok. thanks for the tip, and the hookup on the group buy. :cool2:

and sforza, the bolts you need are longer than stock, the bolts are m6 x 30

and they should be torqued to 8 n/m

·
Registered
42 Posts
Great thread, I just ordered the GB Racing Clutch Cover from Kneedraggers. Can anyone tell me if their frame sliders will require cutting of my Catalyst Composites upper?

TIA

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
haha, it sure isnt riding season yet here, but its not in the single digits either. it sucks working in a cold garage, mines not heated. the temps here are around 45 during the day, and its been in the high 20's at night. thats why i havent worked in over bout 2 months, but im a salary :biggrinjester: so its ok. thanks for the tip, and the hookup on the group buy. :cool2:

and sforza, the bolts you need are longer than stock, the bolts are m6 x 30

and they should be torqued to 8 n/m
yea, I tried the space heater once when its was in the low 30s... didn't do much so I stopped bothering with it, lol

Great thread, I just ordered the GB Racing Clutch Cover from Kneedraggers. Can anyone tell me if their frame sliders will require cutting of my Catalyst Composites upper?

TIA
if the airflow exhaust hole below the tank/ behind the radiator is the same as on the stock plastics you'll have no problem. If you didn't order the sliders yet, shoot me a PM. We have a few spares from the last group buy.

Tim

1 - 18 of 18 Posts